News: SDFW: Dallas Cowboys: Trade for Stefon Diggs and let Amari Cooper go (suggestion/scenario)

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Listening to local sports radio this week it sounds like they are getting tipped off that the team doesn’t love Amari Coopers attitude. Making it sounds like he pouts and quits easy.

They claim there was nothing wrong with him at the end of the year and they pulled him out of the Philly game simply for poor play.

It was odd how suddenly this week every show was kind of going at him.

I like Amari and think he’s top notch but that’s a lot of money for a WR that I can’t confidently say is 1 of the best 5 in the league.

Yet Stephen said 2 weeks ago extending Dak is his first priority and Cooper second. More times than not these shows are simply throwing stuff on the wall, knowing most fans will suck it up.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Cooper is a free agent, they wouldn't be trading for him.

We would give them a draft pick for Diggs.
It’s amazing how many here don’t get that. Same goes for Dak yet how many CZ members have made posts about trading Dak and 2 1st rd picks to Cincy? A ton.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not seeing why the Vikings would do this tbh? If they want to get rid of Diggs who makes to much for them, why trade for a WR that will potentially ask for more?

Because he didn't think it through.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Listening to local sports radio this week it sounds like they are getting tipped off that the team doesn’t love Amari Coopers attitude. Making it sounds like he pouts and quits easy.

They claim there was nothing wrong with him at the end of the year and they pulled him out of the Philly game simply for poor play.

I like Amari and think he’s top notch but that’s a lot of money for a WR that I can’t confidently say is 1 of the best 5 in the league.
I agree with that. If he is getting covered or getting open and not getting the ball he gets polly pissy pants. But man he is so fast in his cuts and breaks he is always open and I think he was like that because he wanted huge numbers this year to get paid. I would try to keep him on a short term 3 year deal and attempt to get diggs also.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Yea, who needs draft picks anyway.......just let the guy walk you invested a #1 pick in.

Bowdown27

Reaction score

I feel the same way. And they aren’t close on extension talks. Let’s hope something comes from this. Either a top flight wideout either way.

John813

Reaction score
I’m not seeing why the Vikings would do this tbh? If they want to get rid of Diggs who makes to much for them, why trade for a WR that will potentially ask for more?

IIRC Diggs has wanted out due to lack of the football going his way. Vikings don't want to trade him, but he was letting out smoke signals before the TDL.

It's not so much of a $ issue if the Vikings move on from him. It's a disgruntled player issue.

That being said, Vikings might be better off trading him for picks, if he acts up again, and then get a rook from this class.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Diggs is no Amari. He doesn't run routes like Amari and benefits from having Thielen on the other side. He has his strengths but the idea that Diggs is as good as Amari is lunacy.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea, who needs draft picks anyway.......just let the guy walk you invested a #1 pick in.

And apparently use this year's best draft asset to attempt to fill the hole you just created! While doing nothing to help make your current team any better!

And some people consider stuff like this as 'smart'?
:facepalm:

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
And apparently use this year's best draft asset to attempt to fill the hole you just created! While doing nothing to help make your current team any better!

And some people consider stuff like this as 'smart'?
:facepalm:
It's mind boggling

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I think Cooper is the better WR for Dak. Diggs is a downfield guy who will make big plays but he isnt going to give you that reliable polished route running that Cooper does. Cooper does have issues though and I would NOT break the bank for him. Drafting a WR is not really an option because he will take time to develop and the Cowboys have too many other needs than to use a 1st round pick on a WR. I think the Cowboys should use the tag on Coop that allows them to match an offer he would get in FA.
Diggs is one of the best route runners in the league...he might be the only player in Cooper's class, in that regard. They're basically the same player.

Sydla

Reaction score
So trade for a resource at the expense of draft capital vs. resigning someone and retaining draft capital for a better player anyway.

Brilliant idea. Now please log off the interwebs.

LOL.

Yep.

Trade for a guy. Let him walk for nothing 18 months later. Then waste more draft capital in trading for a guy to replace the guy you just traded for.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Diggs is no Amari. He doesn't run routes like Amari and benefits from having Thielen on the other side. He has his strengths but the idea that Diggs is as good as Amari is lunacy.

I agree but I think this is more about value then player for player.

It's like the Dak is awesome crowd that ignore his cap hit and terrible value.

Amari is better then Diggs but Diggs contract is looking nice.

John813

Reaction score
I agree but I think this is more about value then player for player.

It's like the Dak is awesome crowd that ignore his cap hit and terrible value.

Amari is better then Diggs but Diggs contract is looking nice.

Especially in a trade the Vikings eat the prorated bonus hits and his cap hits become 11.5mil for 20, 12 for 21 and 12 for 22.
Now, he could request a new deal which would reset those numbers.