News: SDFW: Dallas Cowboys: Trade for Stefon Diggs and let Amari Cooper go (suggestion/scenario)

MrPhil

Reaction score
I work with a Viking's fan and he thinks Diggs is a diva and perhaps next in line to have to an AB-type meltdown scenario. No thanks, I pass.

Sydla

Reaction score
Cooper walks
Use that money to sign a great TE and ST returner and have money left over to sign others

improve the team

Even with the flaws in Cooper's game, I don't think the team is necessarily improved with a better TE but a worse WR corps.

WR would have to be a priority in the draft in this scenario, I would guess.

Also, if we let Cooper walk, it once again calls into question whether or not it was smart to trade a #1 for him. If he walks, I think the conclusion is it was not smart to trade a #1 for him.......... while we got good results from him personally, the team was a one and done in 2018 and didn't make the playoffs in 2019.

visionary

Reaction score
Even with the flaws in Cooper's game, I don't think the team is necessarily improved with a better TE but a worse WR corps.

Also, if we let Cooper walk, it once again calls into question whether or not it was smart to trade a #1 for him. If he walks, I think the conclusion is it was not smart to trade a #1 for him.......... while we got good results from him personally, the team was a one and done in 2018 and didn't make the playoffs in 2019.

I agree overall but we can’t look back and create future problems to justify a previous bad decision

I’m not paying 18 mill/y to a guy who is there when the going is good but disappears in crunch time. A number 1 WR has to be an alpha and Cooper is not

Look at the successful offenses tight now SF, KC, Baltimore, most of them have great TE play. Witten was Romos blanket and Novacek was same for Aikman

this offense will be better with a great TE even without Cooper

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
I think it would be a bad idea to sign Cooper to a mega deal. He came across as a soft quitter the 2nd half of last season and your #1 WR needs to be the opposite of that.

It sucks because the Cowboys spent a 1st bringing him in and we all saw how Dak looked before Cooper was brought in but I think Gallup and a good FA signing or draft pick could mitigate the loss.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I'm probably a minority but I think you have to bring him back for at least one more year (tag) coz we have no replacement. Draft his possible replacement, and let him walk 2021. I'm a fan of his but if you look at Mike's offense with Packers, WR friendly. During his 9 years, Jordy Nelson and Donald Driver were his top 2 WRs. So I'm not his offense requires a top 5 elite WR.

Verdict

Reaction score
I would rather give up a #2 for Parker in Miami and try to move Amari for a late #1 or a #2. Parker’s cap hit is half of what Coopers will be.

You could pay most of Byrons deal with the savings.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I think it would be a bad idea to sign Cooper to a mega deal. He came across as a soft quitter the 2nd half of last season and your #1 WR needs to be the opposite of that.

It sucks because the Cowboys spent a 1st bringing him in and we all saw how Dak looked before Cooper was brought in but I think Gallup and a good FA signing or draft pick could mitigate the loss.

Kellen Moore is no Norv Turner.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
We need a receiver that can get open. Dak is not a precision passer and he isn't going to be threading needles anytime soon. Cooper is the best at getting open but I'd be lying if I didn't acknowledge that he absolutely looks like a quitter and it seems he quit in Oakland. What stops him from doing it here. I would like to see Amari back here but I could see why the Cowboys might not want to pay him. Whatever happens the Cowboys have to bring in another top end wideout through the draft of free agency/trade because our "SUPERSTAR" (as another poster stated) QB that is asking to be the richest man in NFL history can't win without top end talent.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Who do you want lining up at WR at Lambeau in Dec/Jan, Cooper or Digs?

MaaS

Reaction score
id put the franchise tag on cooper and trade. Straight up wr for wr.

Yeah, letting Amari walk and trading another pick for Diggs is nuts.

Whether it's straight up for a WR or recouping a 2nd rounder on him, there's no way he should walk.

That said - I really hope we keep him.

Creeper

Reaction score
Never believe rumors involving the Cowboys.

If the Cowboys decide to part ways with Cooper it would be dumb to go after a player like Diggs. He is a good receiver with very good hands, but why compound the mistake of trading away a 1st round pick for Cooper. This draft is deep at the WR position. Draft a young hungry receiver with a winning attitude.

I never liked the Cooper trade. Why did the Raiders trade him in the first place? If he is as good as some Cowboys fans are claiming, that there is no one in the draft who could take his place, then the Raiders were fleeced by the Cowboys. Does anyone believe that? Cooper is not a winner. His attitude on the field is puzzling at times. He appears to be sulking or hanging his head. I would not argue that when he is playing he can do some great things, but can we count on that every game for 60 minutes? I did not see that last year. What's worse, is that attitude contagious?

If the Cowboys did not trade for Cooper in 2018 they probably would have lost 10 games and had a top 10 pick in 2019. Maybe they could have drafted Ed Oliver.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: Trade for Stefon Diggs and let Amari Cooper go

Reports are the Minnesota Vikings plan to trade Stefon Diggs and for a budget conscious team like the Dallas Cowboys, he may be the preferable option over ...

Read Full Story
Stephon Diggs is a good receiver that can disappear at times.

Amari Cooper is a great receiver that can disappear at times.

Cooper routinely post +120 yd games. His problem has been on the road. However, if you look at targets on the road vs. targets at home and Ezekiel Elliott running attempts on the road vs running attempts at home, you will quickly determine that it is the system and play calling vs. all of it is the players fault.

I will keep the great WR. We already have a good WR in Gallup and good slot WR in Cobb. Sign Cooper and Cobb. Trade for TE, OJ Howard who can block (Jarwin does not block).

HungryLion

Reaction score
I still don’t understand the desire to let legit pro bowl level players walk.

I see quite a few fans who are concerned with spending cap dollars on high quality players. So the team can save cap space. Why? So the team can not sign the next pro bowl quality players either?

People are focused on saving cap space saving cap space saving cap space and then scoffing at signing the teams best players when they come up in free agency.

it doesn’t make much sense to me.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Yeah, letting Amari walk and trading another pick for Diggs is nuts.

Whether it's straight up for a WR or recouping a 2nd rounder on him, there's no way he should walk.

That said - I really hope we keep him.

id be happy with him in Dallas, or not aslong as theres peices to replace his production. I also think Gallup is developing into a better option theyre going to have to pay in a couple yrs. I think Elliot and Lawrence will be gone or traded in 2 yrs. The team is structuring these deals where theyre paying the guaranteed money early enabling them to get out of these deals if they need to with minimal dead money.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I still don’t understand the desire to let legit pro bowl level players walk.

I see quite a few fans who are concerned with spending cap dollars on high quality players. So the team can save cap space. Why? So the team can not sign the next pro bowl quality players either?

People are focused on saving cap space saving cap space saving cap space and then scoffing at signing the teams best players when they come up in free agency.

it doesn’t make much sense to me.

I would be ok letting him walk because if you look back last yr, as the season went on you could see there was better chemistry with Gallup. Them passes they had been missing from 2018 into the start of 2019, they started hitting for long gains and TDs. Them inside routes that were exclusive to Cooper, Gallup started running. Im wondering if Cooper started feeling a little jealous on the chemistry.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't think there could be any doubt that it was a terrible move. A year in and you have nothing to show from your 2019 1st round pick?

To go along with nothing to show for your 2017 pick?

And do we need to mention the question marks surrounding 2018's 1st rounder?

That would essentially take this team from once being one of the league's best drafting teams to the very worst over the past 3 years, with second not close.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Diggs is one of the best route runners in the league...he might be the only player in Cooper's class, in that regard. They're basically the same player.

I enjoy your insights on most topics but I don't completely agree on this one. Diggs has some Amari like qualities such as a great one-cut in his routes. But he disappears in stretches and excels more in the vertical game.

Love his commercial with the trash can stuck to his hands.