News: SDFW: Tyron Smith should be exempt from all Dallas Cowboys practices

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I’m curious, how does Bill Belichick approach the practice cadence of all the All Pro vets he has hired for a year or two at the end of their career?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
As far as we're concerned, here's the problem: the staff will decide whether to practice him or not and there's nothing we can do about it. :omg:

We could kick that idea around endlessly, but when all is said and done, the Cowboys' hierarchy has the last word.

This is especially so if Jerry Jones happens to be the individual making the final decision.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yup just wheel him on and off the field in the pope mobile..
0f674177-dcdb-4675-99e4-258e0c15a3a7.jpg

That thing seems pointless.

No protection on the sides or back.

A .50 BMG would go through that 'bullet proof' shield like a hot knife through butter.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly, anyone who disputes this is not familiar with how an Oline works.
They are a unit acting as One.
You can't just start inserting guys with no feel for the other and not expect consequences.

Look at how the McGovern project worked in-season last year.

It's not good practice.

The Line has to become a Whole.

And especially we have a rook integrating into the starting lineup and Steele trying to get more into the flow on the other side.

Really now.

There are two way to look at the issue:

1: OL (Tyron with practice) > OL (Tyron without practice)

2: OL (Tyron without practice) >>> OL (Rookie Matt Waletzko at LT)

Having said that, his issues have not happened in the preseason.

The 2021 injury was due to his ankle being stepped on. Zero practice reps or 100% of practice reps would not have changed that outcome.

His 2020 and previous ~ 4 years of injury issues were due to not having the back surgery that Doctors recommend back in about 2016.
- He finally had the surgery in 2020 and had zero back issues in 2021.

I've known multiple people go from years of chronic back pain, to near pain free after surgery.
- I recall one person describing it as 90% pain reduction within 2 weeks and near zero pain within a year.

Fusion surgery is a 100% 'cure' of the disc that was removed.

When people have pain after fusion surgery it is due to surrounding discs also being partially damaged.

Side Note: It was reported that Damone Clark had zero damage to adjacent discs.

I don't know if Tyron had damage to any adjacent discs. If not, then his back should be near 100%.
- Tyron might always have days with muscle tightness due to his heavy lifting in the weight room.
- I think part of the issue in the past was that previous Strength and Conditioning coach Mike Woicik, approached it as-if players were competing in power-lifting.
- More progressive S & C coaches put less focus on all-out weight lifting in favor of dynamic weight lifting.
- Even Parcells brought in a more dynamic approach to the weight room. He loved the power clean & hang clean over squats.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I wouldn't exempt him but I would limited any all pro starters. I would limit guys like Tyron more than Martin. The young guys/ backups need the extra reps.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly, anyone who disputes this is not familiar with how an Oline works.
They are a unit acting as One.
You can't just start inserting guys with no feel for the other and not expect consequences.

Look at how the McGovern project worked in-season last year.

It's not good practice.

The Line has to become a Whole.

And especially we have a rook integrating into the starting lineup and Steele trying to get more into the flow on the other side.

Really now.
  • My personal story about back issues.
  • For years I had chronic back issues.
    • The Doctors indicated that I did not have any significant disc damage.
      • However, they diagnosed the issue as muscle imbalances after years of weight lifting.
    • My hamstrings were pulling on my lower back unnaturally.
    • My upper back issue was from an imbalance between front body muscles and back muscles.
      • i.e. (Pecs, Front Deltoids) vs (Lats, Trapezius, Rear Deltoids, Rhomboids)
        • Like every guy that has lifted weights, I had over-focused on the bench press...;)
  • Solution: Stretching.
    • Obviously this is not a solution for people with damaged discs; although it can help.
    • The Doctors and Physical Therapists gave me stretching exercises.
      • I further developed them to fit what worked best for me.
    • I was into Wakeboarding for several years and the other Wakeboarders razzed me about my stretching routing.
      • Most of them (18 to 25) didn't realize that I was 40.
      • Once they found out my age, they switched from razzing me to labeling me as a 'baller'.
      • Those were the days. I won't go into details about the time I dated the sister then the Mom of one of my Wakeboarding buddies.
  • Stretching Details
    • Many people don't know how to stretch.
      • Surprisingly, I see professional athletes using non-preferred stretching techniques.
    • Stretching should be a slow, methodical process.
      • Many people, including some NFL players, tend to 'bounce' while stretching.
      • i.e. Quickly hit the end of the range of motion and bounce back.
    • I shared these techniques with a friend from work.
      • He had experienced years of lower back issues.
      • He had been to multiple Doctors, Physical therapists, Massage therapists and probably every Chiropractor in Dallas.
      • I convinced him to try my methods for 6 weeks.
        • That was a decade ago and he has not been back to a Doctor, therapist or Chiropractor (regarding his back) since then.
    • I've shared these simple concepts with multiple people and all have had reduced pain to varying extents.
      • Even my Mom in her seventies started stretching and she had never done any type of exercise routine in her life.
    • The concepts are very simple but most people with back issues either don't commit to stretching or don't know how.