News: SDFW: Why the Dallas Cowboys wisely decided against signing Dalvin Cook

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
It’s not going to happen for Cook in Dallas and it shouldn’t.

I think Dalvin is going to end up disappointed.

plasticman

Reaction score
The Cowboys "wisely" decided?

That's a rater presumptuous opinion. Typically, you wait for the results of their seasons, both the Cowboys and Dalvin Cook. You measure their success/failure level and compare them. You don't base your opinion on their prior salary demands.

How wise would the Cowboys look if Pollard got worn down because the other RB's were unproductive. Meanwhile Cook ran for 1600 yards with his new team

RB's aren't important until they are.

The NFL is constantly evolving. Coaches and GM's are always trying to gain an advantage against opponents and one way to do that is do adopt a style that challenges the current trends. You design an offense that opponent defenses aren't built to defend. That was teh key to the Cowboys season in 2014 when Murray set a new Cowboys rushing record.

Not coincidentally, Romo had fewer pass attempts than any other full season he played. He also happened to have the highest QB rating for that season, a first for him.

If your quarterback wasn't drafted as a rare elite passer in the top ten, then your team, needs a running game

If the Cowboys don't want to have a balanced attack and wants to have a prolific passing game then they need to do what those teams do. They need to go all out and get a top QB in the draft, surrender a significant amount of draft value and take their lumps until the QB gains a few seasons of experience.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The Cowboys "wisely" decided?

That's a rater presumptuous opinion. Typically, you wait for the results of their seasons, both the Cowboys and Dalvin Cook. You measure their success/failure level and compare them. You don't base your opinion on their prior salary demands.

How wise would the Cowboys look if Pollard got worn down because the other RB's were unproductive. Meanwhile Cook ran for 1600 yards with his new team

RB's aren't important until they are.

The NFL is constantly evolving. Coaches and GM's are always trying to gain an advantage against opponents and one way to do that is do adopt a style that challenges the current trends. You design an offense that opponent defenses aren't built to defend. That was teh key to the Cowboys season in 2014 when Murray set a new Cowboys rushing record.

Not coincidentally, Romo had fewer pass attempts than any other full season he played. He also happened to have the highest QB rating for that season, a first for him.

If your quarterback wasn't drafted as a rare elite passer in the top ten, then your team, needs a running game

If the Cowboys don't want to have a balanced attack and wants to have a prolific passing game then they need to do what those teams do. They need to go all out and get a top QB in the draft, surrender a significant amount of draft value and take their lumps until the QB gains a few seasons of experience.
In what world do you think we live in that that's even a possibility to trade up into the top ten and draft a quarterback????

the Cowboys would have to be pretty bad to do that you do realize we're picking in the bottom 10, sometimes a bottom five of every round... you know how much draft capital you would need to get into the top ten??

probably sacrifice 50% of your next three drafts and let's top it all off with that's not even a guarantee..

we can pick 70% of the quarterbacks that have been taken in the first round have been failures, you got guys like Trey Lance three first rounders given for this dude and he doesn't look like much of A player and that's just one of them... there are too many to list for this particular response today but you know better than that this is not a possibility and lastly even if we did find a serviceable quarterback after bankrupting our next three drafts to do so...

you think he's going to be better than Prescott?? I mean a guarantee like how many years is it going to take for him just to become a top ten quarterback and win in the playoffs :facepalm:o_O

reality says the NFL has been trying that and there are teams like the Broncos The Jets the Browns and others that tried that heck even the 49ers we just talked about Trey Lance they did all that including bringing over garoppolo drafting quarterbacks in the top five and what they do they accidentally stumbled upon a seventh round pick who might be better than all of them it was an accident it was locked they tripped into it and the other ones they all had to then go and spend draft picks and a ton of money to get veteran quarterbacks who may or may not help them like Russell Wilson Aaron Rodgers and deshaun Watson these teams tried for a decade to find a quarterback in the first round or anywhere and they could not do it

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Expensive, older & injury history. Sounds perfect.

Besides, I read on the board that Deuce is the next Barry Sanders- so I'm not worried!

il_570xN.2879595952_lqzm.jpg

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Cook ranked second to last in rushing yards over expected with running backs with 200 carries. He had only 34.5% of carries go above yards expected.
Ok this is BS it means he had a good amount of long plays running. And he also had a lot of carries for 0 or a couple of yards. I would take those big plays like runs of 30 or whatever any day. He averaged 4.4 yards, not great but not bad either it is yards, he still gets the team yards any way you cut it up.

I would bet on his ability to get free and make big plays when he gets in space more than possibly his Oline mucking it up and not getting holes for him at the line,

That said if you are using him in RBBC and paying him 12 million or whatever he wants it is a losing proposition for a team. The team would have to use him as a workhorse and those days are over in the NFL, he has to take less and share carries.

plasticman

Reaction score
In what world do you think we live in that that's even a possibility to trade up into the top ten and draft a quarterback????

the Cowboys would have to be pretty bad to do that you do realize we're picking in the bottom 10, sometimes a bottom five of every round... you know how much draft capital you would need to get into the top ten??

probably sacrifice 50% of your next three drafts and let's top it all off with that's not even a guarantee..

we can pick 70% of the quarterbacks that have been taken in the first round have been failures, you got guys like Trey Lance three first rounders given for this dude and he doesn't look like much of A player and that's just one of them... there are too many to list for this particular response today but you know better than that this is not a possibility and lastly even if we did find a serviceable quarterback after bankrupting our next three drafts to do so...

you think he's going to be better than Prescott?? I mean a guarantee like how many years is it going to take for him just to become a top ten quarterback and win in the playoffs :facepalm:o_O

reality says the NFL has been trying that and there are teams like the Broncos The Jets the Browns and others that tried that heck even the 49ers we just talked about Trey Lance they did all that including bringing over garoppolo drafting quarterbacks in the top five and what they do they accidentally stumbled upon a seventh round pick who might be better than all of them it was an accident it was locked they tripped into it and the other ones they all had to then go and spend draft picks and a ton of money to get veteran quarterbacks who may or may not help them like Russell Wilson Aaron Rodgers and deshaun Watson these teams tried for a decade to find a quarterback in the first round or anywhere and they could not do it
I'm not saying that I'm in favor of trading to get a top 5 pick. I am definitely not in favor .

What I am saying is that if you want a prolific passing offense then you would be required to have a prolific passer.

I am also saying that you typically find those guys at the top of the 1st round.

I never said that all quarterbacks in the top ten picks of the draft are prolific passers. I said you can find those prolific passers in the top ten picks. You can also find major disappointments. You can find QB's that perform at a league average as well.

However, you can rarely find a prolific passer elsewhere. By "prolific" passer I mean a QB in an offense that passes the ball more frequently than other teams but still manage to win. The best examples would be Mahomes and Rodgers

of course, you can have a great quarterback without him being a prolific passer. However, that would imply a more balanced offense with a productive running game.

Mannix

Reaction score
------Pretty much no one wants that with this guy. And, as an aside, never trust a man that speaks of himself in the third person. Things won't go well.

Mannix likes this. :muttley:

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'm not saying that I'm in favor of trading to get a top 5 pick. I am definitely not in favor .

What I am saying is that if you want a prolific passing offense then you would be required to have a prolific passer.

I am also saying that you typically find those guys at the top of the 1st round.

I never said that all quarterbacks in the top ten picks of the draft are prolific passers. I said you can find those prolific passers in the top ten picks. You can also find major disappointments. You can find QB's that perform at a league average as well.

However, you can rarely find a prolific passer elsewhere. By "prolific" passer I mean a QB in an offense that passes the ball more frequently than other teams but still manage to win. The best examples would be Mahomes and Rodgers

of course, you can have a great quarterback without him being a prolific passer. However, that would imply a more balanced offense with a productive running game.
Untrue we saw Dak be part of a #1 offense on many occasions. his best years he had the most weapons...last year wasn't one of those years,

prolific offenses are the scheme and the sum total of your weapons which includes a qb all working well together but not necessary to have a true elite QB,, saw 5k yard guys like Winston, Stafford , ryan, etc all in down seasons record wise or didn't end in a SB.. once again you must be losing already to make sure you are going say from picking mid first to move up to 10 or 5 and still doesn't guarantee a dang thing. want to pick #1 that's the best chance and still a very low. ie guys like Baker, Murray and other taken that high, prolific passers you mean like fields and Lamar, oh wait they are not prolific passers.

what has Herbert done, 5k yard season in a losing effort but allegedly prolific hasnt done squat but put up stats , who else burrows right he has nothing with him like 3 very good wrs and very good rb but did he win a SB, nope ,got close but threw 2 INTs in his last game, couldn't beat Cooper rush lol

so I am trying to figure out who this prolific passer is that guarantees a SB run or too is an automatic... This last draft these dudes remind me of maybe hurts or Lamar maybe few can throw but prolific LOL

I know we aren't calling Allen a prolific passer but some say hes elite hes not really much better then dak

so that leaves PM and Rogers that i could say truly are prolific passers and weapons on offense. Truly elite and won.. sure that winning formula go after a unicorn by mortgaging your next 3 drafts when they dont come very often..

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
If speculation is true that the market is coming in around $4-5m, I'd consider overpaying a bit, around $6-6.5m on a 1-2 year deal to stabilize the position. There's still some tread on those tires, but it's pretty risky business going much higher on a 27yo back with a history of injuries.

Jipper

Reaction score
Several reasons.,,,.thats why DHop is still available as well.

The devil's in the details

Id like to see him here, short term. He immediately becomes the starter
and by devil you mean the contract, and by details you mean offers are not high enough for what the respeictive players think they are worth....

both want too much money now for their ability to deliver...they are both declining and not worth what the want, not to say they couldnt help a team but its cost prohibitive right now.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Several reasons.,,,.thats why DHop is still available as well.

The devil's in the details

Id like to see him here, short term. He immediately becomes the starter

I'm joking. The article read as a Mickey statement, so, I thought I'd go full Mickey here.