SDogo Draft and FA Prep Thread V 1.0

AbeBeta

Reaction score
burmafrd;4422429 said:
gotta disagree about Mario Williams becoming a FA, or at least testing the waters.

It would cost the Texans $22 million to franchize him. No way that will happen; so they would have to get a long term contract with him to keep him. So I think there is a decent chance that he would at least test the waters.

Can someone explain where this 22 mill number comes from? The tag number is about half that

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AbeBeta;4422638 said:
Can someone explain where this 22 mill number comes from? The tag number is about half that
Williams’ original six-year, $54 million contract expires next month. He earned $18 million this past season. The Texans aren’t likely to use the franchise designation on him because it would be about $22.9 million, and they can’t afford that kind of cap hit.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...t-his-goal-as-he-hopes-to-remain-with-texans/

Kangaroo

Reaction score
jnday;4421839 said:
This is crushing news to me . I have a sinking feeling that you are right . I am so sick of these make-do olines . If this is the case , my opinion of Garrett and his plans will be at a all time low .

I think they will try and get a FA center before guard

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Kangaroo;4422680 said:
I think they will try and get a FA center before guard

As well they should. The Center position was inordinately worse than the Guard position this past season.

I still think we could add a Guard in the draft, too. Rounds 1-2 might look like Janoris Jenkins, Cordy Glenn.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
casmith07;4422683 said:
As well they should. The Center position was inordinately worse than the Guard position this past season.

I still think we could add a Guard in the draft, too. Rounds 1-2 might look like Janoris Jenkins, Cordy Glenn.

Yes, this is somewhat where I am starting to lean myself. That would be a good first two picks if Dallas pulls the trigger.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
AbeBeta;4422638 said:

IIRC, he has something in his contract that ups his pay to like 120% of the previous year.

Maybe it's just not his contract but the new CBA.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dmq;4422834 said:
Amazing the job Wade did on that defense that they can actually afford to let Mario go....... Why is it that coaches can't be just demoted? I think we all would have welcomed Wade just being our DC.

3/4 of the board would have been toting pitchforks if Wade had been retained in any capacity. He is a very good DC, though.

rojan

Reaction score
couchscout;4422273 said:
Hey Sdogo, a small thing I noticed, wanted to bring it up to you and see what you thought. You mentioned that while the Cowboys aren't looking to transition to a 4-3 this season, they are putting in some 4-3 looks. First, do you think this is the first step in an eventual transition, or an attempt to stay as multiple as possible defensively?

Second, later you had some of your own speculation about us possibly being interested in a DE in the first. Assuming the plan is to transition to a 4-3 soon, wouldn't that be a slight contradiction? Unless you ended up with a guy that could easily transition to DT. Just a thought.

I personally think we are Donta Hightower away from making a very easy transition to a 4-3 (for the record, I don't really care what front we play, but I get asked this question a lot so I've given it a lot of thought).

Lee - Hightower - Carter
Ware - Lissemore - Ratliff - Spencer

Doesn't look like a terrible lineup to me....that is assuming Carter pans out.

Thanks for everything you do man, I got a very juicy (and way contraversal) rumor delivered to me today, but I knew your post was scheduled for today, so I thought I'd wait till Mon-Tue to post mine, let everyone simmer on this awesome thread for a while first.

1. If we did go to a 4-3 defence, wouldn't Sean Lee be better suited playing MLB??

2. Its Monday now..Can we hear about the rumour for god-sakes!! :)

couchscout

Reaction score
rojan;4422862 said:
1. If we did go to a 4-3 defence, wouldn't Sean Lee be better suited playing MLB??

2. Its Monday now..Can we hear about the rumour for god-sakes!! :)

I wouldn't put Lee at MLB, and after making that post, I realized I technically had him as the WLB, which is not where they would put him. He's be an absolutely dominant SLB.

I'll share pretty soon. It's not draft...or really even player related. Just something I heard that will have the whole board up at arms.

rash

Reaction score
couchscout;4422867 said:
I wouldn't put Lee at MLB, and after making that post, I realized I technically had him as the WLB, which is not where they would put him. He's be an absolutely dominant SLB.

I'll share pretty soon. It's not draft...or really even player related. Just something I heard that will have the whole board up at arms.

(in Bart Scott voice) "Can't wait"

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Not ignoring your posts guys. I'll try and get to the ones I have not responded to today.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
So, if DeCastro is taken by one of Car/Mia/Ari and we aren't into Kirkpatrick then I assume everyone assumes that Jenkins is the pick? However, I would like your take on 2 players I am high on.

ILB-Luke Kuechly
and
DE-Michael Brockers

If we stay at 14 who are the 5 guys as most likely to be picked in your opinion.

Thanks

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Canadian BoyzFan;4422956 said:
So, if DeCastro is taken by one of Car/Mia/Ari and we aren't into Kirkpatrick then I assume everyone assumes that Jenkins is the pick? However, I would like your take on 2 players I am high on.

ILB-Luke Kuechly
and
DE-Michael Brockers

If we stay at 14 who are the 5 guys as most likely to be picked in your opinion.

Thanks

Great question. I'm now quite worried DeCastro won't be there and have been thinking about Kuechly as well. Does he fit in a 3-4 scheme?

CCBoy

Reaction score

ILB-Luke Kuechly
and
DE-Michael Brockers

Thanks

Right now, without any reservations, I'd gladly settle for either of your two players: Kuechly or Brockers.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
SDogo;4422905 said:
Not ignoring your posts guys. I'll try and get to the ones I have not responded to today.

I'd like to echo the thanks that you're getting for this post (and others) but add to that appreciation for all of your responses to individual questions. :bow:

Tex

Reaction score

ILB-Luke Kuechly
and
DE-Michael Brockers

Thanks

Would be pleased with Kuechly. I want no part of brockers in the 1'st. Most over rated guy in this draft currently.

At14 if Decastro is gone I would prefer
Jenkins
Upshaw
Kuechly
Coples or Perry if they drop
Even Glenn Poe or Koonz if we cant trade back to pick up extra picks and still get them. I dont want kirkpatric or Brockers in the first anyway. Plenty of better options for us at 14 or latter in the first with a trade down.

Woods

Reaction score

ILB-Luke Kuechly
and
DE-Michael Brockers

Thanks

If that were the case, I'd have interest in Jenkins at CB, Ingram and Hightower at LB. With a small trade back Konz at OC and Glenn at OG.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
dmq;4422834 said:
Amazing the job Wade did on that defense that they can actually afford to let Mario go....... Why is it that coaches can't be just demoted? I think we all would have welcomed Wade just being our DC.

Where it's true Wade did a great job with that team, they added a lot of talent in the offseason for him, and they caught a bit of a break in terms of the teams they played. Nobody in their division had a good offense this year, and I think they only played, maybe, four teams that were in the top half of the league in scoring. NO hung 40 on them, and Balt and Oak both put up at least 25. When 11 of your games are against Cin, Cle, TB, Car, Mia, Jax, Ind, and Ten, you should do well defensively.