SDogo Draft and FA Prep Thread V 1.0

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
casmith07;4422070 said:
I think a lot of the problem is that Spencer is obviously not as good as Ware, and therefore he cannot compensate for lackluster defensive line play like Ware can.

I think if we upgrade the DL and get an elite DE, Spencer would be more than adequate at the SOLB spot.

Thoughts, SDogo?

I agree, Spencer is asked to do a lot of things besides rush the passer. His run defense slipped this year but Rob is very high on him and he does everything well and nothing great.

A true presence at DE as you said would make all the difference.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
SDogo;4422079 said:
I agree, Spencer is asked to do a lot of things besides rush the passer. His run defense slipped this year but Rob is very high on him and he does everything well and nothing great.

I hope we're able to give him a 3-4 year deal and don't have to use $8.8M of the franchise tag on him. That way his cap hit is less this year and allows some maneuverability.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
SDogo;4422079 said:

Can we tender Spence? If so what do you think he would be tendered at?

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
SDogo;4421755 said:
Regarding TE Michael Egnew....

As am I. He's not a over physical TE and lacks blocking ability and the knock on him has always been he's too slow footed for WR so I'm not seeing the same thing.

It's not that I think he's a horrible prospect, but he took a major step back in terms of production this past season (although he was without Blaine Gabbert this season) and I read he was rather ho-hum at the Senior Bowl practices. So it's just surprising to me to hear that he's garnering a lot of attention heading into the combine.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
casmith07;4422097 said:
I hope we're able to give him a 3-4 year deal and don't have to use $8.8M of the franchise tag on him. That way his cap hit is less this year and allows some maneuverability.

That would be my hope.

Detroit is going to franchise Avril.

Mario wants to go back to the Texans.

Who's left Brooks? One years worth of production and his numbers really weren't as good as Spencer's.

I've been trying to think of what it would take to resign Spencer. Maybe a 5 year contract. How much guaranteed would he want? $16 mil. I dunno. Then you have his yearly salary on top of that.

Maybe 5 years, $32 mil with $16 of it guaranteed.

ValleyBoyz

Reaction score
Great stuff Sdogo. Any idea where we stand in terms of bigger ticket FA's like Mario Williams and Carl Nicks?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Jacksonville better not start getting friendly with Laurent. They shall be marked for death should they get too close.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
SDogo;4421755 said:
When the dust settled after the season a lot of teams were able to really sit down and evaluate Kirkpatrick. His footwork, speed and fluidity really came to the surface. He played much more like a safety then a CB but was able to get away with it at the college level. There is concern about his ability to stay with NFL WR's. He is a physical CB but in the NFL, all the WR's are physical and bigger. I really think he is a victim of being a larger CB in a era when teams are looking for them. Kind of ironic.

First, I wanna say Thank You for this. I've been waiting a while for this report, and you didn't disappoint.

I want to add that I'm not at all surprised about Kirkpatrick. It is obvious to anyone that has seen him play that he will struggle in the NFL against faster, more agile receivers that he is not able to jam at the line, and also against bigger, stronger receivers that he will not be able to manhandle. His speed is questionable, and so are his hips. With that said, I can't see him lasting until the second round. I can see the Patriots taking him if he is still around when they draft.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
SDogo;4422069 said:
I don't see one that can do it consistently. Ingram may be the best of the bunch but you need 2 or 3 years of patience before you will see the return in your investment.

Ingram could still be an option even if they franchise Spencer. With Spencer here another year, Ingram wouldn't have to start right away. I'm sure Ryan could find ways to get Ware, Spencer, and Ingram on the field at the same time.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ThreeandOut;4422154 said:
Ingram could still be an option even if they franchise Spencer. With Spencer here another year, Ingram wouldn't have to start right away. I'm sure Ryan could find ways to get Ware, Spencer, and Ingram on the field at the same time.

I dunno. Not if the Cowboy's braintrust is not sold on any of the potential first round OLBers.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
SDogo;4421859 said:
Amini Silatolu is actually my 3rd favorite OG prospect in this draft and one I feel stands the most likely chance of being chosen if Dallas goes that direction.

I would not write off Meachem yet, Like I said prior, that is a player Dallas had a lot of interest in coming out and his price tag should be friendly enough that if we lose Robinson he could fill in nicely.

Could you expand on the Silatolu "love" from Dallas? I have been high on this kid from the begining and he will be the nastiest OL from this draft when all is said and done.

I knew he was good, but I am shocked at high this Midwestern State product has risen in such a short time. I still think he will be available in the 3rd due to his small school experience but I am pulling for him.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
cowboy_ron;4422100 said:
Can we tender Spence? If so what do you think he would be tendered at?

Spencer is an UFA, so the only thing they can slap on him is a franchise tag.

SDogo

Reaction score
BAT;4422164 said:
Could you expand on the Silatolu "love" from Dallas? I have been high on this kid from the begining and he will be the nastiest OL from this draft when all is said and done.

I knew he was good, but I am shocked at high this Midwestern State product has risen in such a short time. I still think he will be available in the 3rd due to his small school experience but I am pulling for him.

Well, let me get permission to share a story first and it may help clear it up. Dallas had some help from 2 friends when it comes to Silatolu and there is a strong Cowboys connection with him as well.

Really not my details to share in depth so let me make sure I'm not burning a bridge before I say anything.

cds99

Reaction score
Sdogo, whats the chances dallas pursues Mario Williams???? Thanks

SDogo

Reaction score
cds99;4422202 said:
Sdogo, whats the chances dallas pursues Mario Williams???? Thanks

Slim and none, everyone I spoke to says it's not even worth speculating or talking about. Stranger things have happened but I doubt he even see's FA to begin with.

cds99

Reaction score
SDogo;4422220 said:
Slim and none, everyone I spoke to says it's not even worth speculating or talking about. Stranger things have happened but I doubt he even see's FA to begin with.

Awesome then, thanks for the insight. You never know just hear what people here on the forum say so... One more question, i dont see decastro being there at 14, but if he is or isnt do u see us grabbing j. jenkins over kirkpatrick? Thanks again, and sorry if you have already aswered this as i didnt read every page of the thread just portions.

SDogo

Reaction score
cds99;4422225 said:
Awesome then, thanks for the insight. You never know just hear what people here on the forum say so... One more question, i dont see decastro being there at 14, but if he is or isnt do u see us grabbing j. jenkins over kirkpatrick? Thanks again, and sorry if you have already aswered this as i didnt read every page of the thread just portions.

As of right now and I have no way of knowing exactly what the Cowboys are thinking I can only go on what I have heard but Jenkins would be the clear cut choice.

natedoug

Reaction score
Sdogo, thanks for the information. Any insight on the Safety position? Will the Cowboys attempt to upgrade that spot via free agency? And if so, who are potential targets?

Reaction score
SDogo I was just curious to see what QBs they are keying in on right now. I know there is the rumor about McNabb but I was curious if there were any other specific guys they had in mind in both free agency and through the draft.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
T
BAT;4422164 said:

Great info Dogo....Silatolu is going to be a beast inside and would be a steal in the third rd.