SDogo's 1st ever Draft Prep Thread

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
TheCount;3918809 said:
Great thread, thanks for this SDogo.

If we take DeMarcus Van Dyke in the 3rd round, I might flip out. That is completely ridiculous.

Van Dyke is very hot right now, like it or not. If we want him we will have to fight off Cleveland, Atlanta, Oakland, Denver, Baltimore and Philadelphia. All have been interested.

The later rounds have the makings of a typical Cowboys draft, for better or worse, so I don't doubt your suggestions one bit. Looks like we're well on our way to another typically average draft class if this is the case.

That is how it is looking if this information is accurate.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Jenky;3918805 said:
It seems like everyone wants to leapfrog Washington. :laugh2:

You bring up a very interesting point I wanted to touch on.

A lot of the interest we are receiving in the 9th pick is due in large part to the direction the Commanders seem to be headed. They have shown significant interest in Cameron Jordan, Aldon Smith and Julio Jones along with the idea that they would take a QB at 10.

The Cowboys draft plans could significantly take a hit if the Commanders decide to trade up. The good news is while they may not have the ammo to do so but as the Commanders have shown in the past, they are not afraid to decimate a future draft.

The Patriots, Rams, Texans, Chargers and Jaguars all are teams among others that are looking at players the Skins are said to be interested in which is why I believe the 9th pick is so hot right now.

As Cowboys fans it will be very interesting to see if the Skins stay put for the first 8 picks.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the draft SDogo.

Going to be an interesting draft to say the least.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Jenky;3918805 said:
Very informative! Thanks SDogo :clap:

Any idea how much New England will pay for Julio? It seems like everyone wants to leapfrog Washington. :laugh2:

#17 and #28 will do it. Remember, they have two picks in the 2nd and two picks in the 3rd. They own the first pick in the second round which means they'll get first round talent.

Woods

Reaction score
That was fantastic SDogo.

Very thorough read. I'm going to re-read later today as I enjoyed it so much.

As for a speed wideout, I agree with you regarding Lockette and his inconsistent hands. I was hoping we could get an extra 3rd rounder/4th rounder and target Edmund Gates instead.

The A Dalton news surprised me. Maybe they see him as another Romo? I not against picking up another developmental QB, I just thought the 2nd round would be a bit early given that we don't know for sure who we can land in FA when it begins - and we need to add OL, DL, and CBs.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
SDogo;3918828 said:
You bring up a very interesting point I wanted to touch on.

A lot of the interest we are receiving in the 9th pick is due in large part to the direction the Commanders seem to be headed. They have shown significant interest in Cameron Jordan, Aldon Smith and Julio Jones along with the idea that they would take a QB at 10.

The Cowboys draft plans could significantly take a hit if the Commanders decide to trade up. The good news is while they may not have the ammo to do so but as the Commanders have shown in the past, they are not afraid to decimate a future draft.

The Patriots, Rams, Texans, Chargers and Jaguars all are teams among others that are looking at players the Skins are said to be interested in which is why I believe the 9th pick is so hot right now.

As Cowboys fans it will be very interesting to see if the Skins stay put for the first 8 picks.

As a footnote, I think the Skins have legitimate interest in getting their QB this draft early. Whether that's trading up for Gabbert, staying put and taking someone or hopping down into the 20's for Ponder or Locker, they'll address their QB in the first two rounds.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Thanks SoDog. You and Hos's work is very much appreciated. If we can trade down and still get Smith, it would be great. Just love his potential. I am totally assuming that Free is being signed once the CBA gets done. I know that everyone feels that Jerry won't let him leave but I heard some other teams might be interested. One sports radio host said that the Cowboys should draft a OT high just in case Free decides to go elsewhere. Any news on resigning him?

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
No interest in Prince at #9, huh?

Any chance Seattle wants to move up before Washington to get Locker? Reports here are the Carroll is very high on him and it would certainly make a splash among the local fans.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Alexander;3918825 said:
Van Dyke is very hot right now, like it or not. If we want him we will have to fight off Cleveland, Atlanta, Oakland, Denver, Baltimore and Philadelphia. All have been interested.

Oh let me be clear, I definitely DON'T like it. :laugh2:

I understand taking a second look because of his 40 time, but ridiculous to move a guy that couldn't even start for his team, a guy that was benched, a guy that has never produced from probably the 7th round all the way up to the 3rd based entirely on his timed speed and the way he looks in shorts.

Staggerlee

chip_gilkey
Reaction score
As always Sdogo, you and Hos' inside info is one of the main things that gets me through the offseason. Thanks a lot for your hard work.

Woods

Reaction score
Also, isn't S Ridley a bit small to play to H-Back role? I have him at 5' 11 and 225 lbs. I thought the team would want someone around 245+ lbs.

I could see Ridley as a good replacement for MBIII, however.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Great info SDogo. Always appreciate the posts and information.

One question, I have not heard even one report that we have any interest in Stefan Wisnewski From Penn State. The guy is a very solid OL and can play anywhere along the line. Have you heard anything on him as to why he hasn't been mentioned. I would think type of player would be a great fit for us.

Jenky

Reaction score
Avery;3918830 said:
#17 and #28 will do it. Remember, they have two picks in the 2nd and two picks in the 3rd. They own the first pick in the second round which means they'll get first round talent.

I'd take that deal so fast. I think it may require a little more from us though.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
TheCount;3918839 said:
Oh let me be clear, I definitely DON'T like it. :laugh2:

I understand taking a second look because of his 40 time, but ridiculous to move a guy that couldn't even start for his team, a guy that was benched, a guy that has never produced from probably the 7th round all the way up to the 3rd based entirely on his timed speed and the way he looks in shorts.

Again, I hope that nobody is in love with that player because he looks to be the type somebody reaches for and is disappointed.

All I want out of this draft is solid football players who have real production to back themselves up. No projects, no cute picks that "could" be special, no guessing. Good solid football players is what this team needs to round out the underachievers. We need more overachievers. This Raider-like mentality needs to be far away from this team as possible. Players (especially Van Dyke and Stingily) are going to get way overdrafted because of measurements and I would prefer we are not the ones doing it.

SDogo

Reaction score
Bigdog;3918836 said:
Thanks SoDog. You and Hos's work is very much appreciated. If we can trade down and still get Smith, it would be great. Just love his potential. I am totally assuming that Free is being signed once the CBA gets done. I know that everyone feels that Jerry won't let him leave but I heard some other teams might be interested. One sports radio host said that the Cowboys should draft a OT high just in case Free decides to go elsewhere. Any news on resigning him?

I can guarantee getting Free under contract is priority #1. I'm not concerned at all with him leaving.

SDogo

Reaction score
Sasquatch;3918838 said:
No interest in Prince at #9, huh?

Any chance Seattle wants to move up before Washington to get Locker? Reports here are the Carroll is very high on him and it would certainly make a splash among the local fans.

I was asked that question earlier this week and this point I really dont think he is a serious option unless the Cowboys trade down and he drops. Patrick Peterson I'm told is the only real DB option for the Cowboys in Round 1 but should he start dropping for some reason all bets are off.

I have not heard much about Seattle moving up. I have talked to a few people that would know and they seem to think the Seahawks are content in sitting still and letting the draft fall to them but if they see a run on QB's and that's the direction they are set on they could get antsy.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
sdogo have u heard anything on newman? You mentioned barber Williams and the oline

also thanks so much for this info. you and hos do a great job and it is really appreciated

SDogo

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;3918843 said:
Great info SDogo. Always appreciate the posts and information.

One question, I have not heard even one report that we have any interest in Stefan Wisnewski From Penn State. The guy is a very solid OL and can play anywhere along the line. Have you heard anything on him as to why he hasn't been mentioned. I would think type of player would be a great fit for us.

I happen to have pretty good connections at Penn St and have been following Wiz closely and I have to say if there is interest on the Cowboys part they have been very quiet about it. It's sort of a shock to me because he is so versatile and given the Cowboys desire to land a center for a couple years now you would think they would be in a prime position to get him at 9 and end that.

I assure you, it's something I dig into ever day hoping to hear something.