Twitter: SEA fielding trade offers for Earl Thomas

Sandyf

Reaction score
Thomas is not coming here under his present contract, now maybe if we could redo the deal and only give our comp 4th pick then maybe worth it.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Don't need Wilson or Wright.

Carroll as in Pete Carroll I'm kind of torn on. He is a better coach then Garrett no question about it but he would have to promise to run the ball on the goal line and not throw a pass.
There's no being torn.

You want Carroll to be the Cowboys coach if youre a Boys fan.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

This thread might be fun to look back on in the future.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It all depends on the cost - both in what Seattle wants, and what other offers the Cowboys would have to do better than.

Agreed. I want the player but I font want to overpay. In draft picks or dollars.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think this is happening and, this time, it's not our team's fault.

Maybe not.

I can't help but to think that they're posturing to try to sucker the Jones boys. Plenty of people have before so I can't blame them.

I'd sit tight and take care of other business and keep my powder dry.

It makes no sense to me to clean out everyone else and still stubbornly hold onto Thomas just to see him go for nothing in 2019 like Sherman will this year.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I would really try the 3rd and Scandrick package for Thomas.

If they are losing Sherman as reported, Scandrick is a decent short-term solution with a reasonable contract.

Seattle likes big corners but I'd make this offer too.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Maybe not.

I can't help but to think that they're posturing to try to sucker the Jones boys. Plenty of people have before so I can't blame them.

It makes no sense to me to clean out everyone else and still stubbornly hold onto Thomas just to see him go for nothing in 2019 like Sherman will this year.
We are of like mind and I like it!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe not.

What is Seattle doing that is specifically focused on duping Dallas? In any case, the Cowboys have made a few notably bad trades - Galloway and Roy Williams are the ones that most come to mind, but I think because those stand out so much (maybe one or two others) fans tend to think it is something that happens all the time, and it really doesn't. The Roy Williams trade was 10 years ago, and the Galloway trade was 18 years ago, and in recent years the Cowboys haven't really made trades for big name players, and the more common complaint from fans these days is that the Cowboys aren't willing to make those trades.

On a different note, I read something this morning that indicated the Seahawks won't trade Thomas unless somebody blows them away with an offer. Maybe part of that is just trying to weed out the tire kickers from the serious parties, but I assume it means it will take more than the 3rd or 4th round draft pick some have suggested,

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is Seattle doing that is specifically focused on duping Dallas?

They're putting it out there in no specific terms that the cost for Thomas will be high and the next day they're saying he's in their plans and they're not trading him. Clearly trying to increase their asking price, despite giving Michael Bennet away for next to nothing and soon cutting Richard Sherman and getting nothing.

In any case, the Cowboys have made a few notably bad trades - Galloway and Roy Williams are the ones that most come to mind, but I think because those stand out so much (maybe one or two others) fans tend to think it is something that happens all the time, and it really doesn't. The Roy Williams trade was 10 years ago, and the Galloway trade was 18 years ago, and in recent years the Cowboys haven't really made trades for big name players, and the more common complaint from fans these days is that the Cowboys aren't willing to make those trades.

I'd certainly prefer to make no trades rather than bad trades. But even during the draft, the trades they've made recently have been at a net loss in value. This from the team that essentially "invented" the draft value chart.

I remember recently being snookered on QB Matt Cassell by the Bills.

On a different note, I read something this morning that indicated the Seahawks won't trade Thomas unless somebody blows them away with an offer. Maybe part of that is just trying to weed out the tire kickers from the serious parties, but I assume it means it will take more than the 3rd or 4th round draft pick some have suggested,

If it does, I hope they pass. His contract demands will be high enough, I don't want to give up significant draft resources on top of it. Let Seattle keep him for another year.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They're putting it out there in no specific terms that the cost for Thomas will be high and the next day they're saying he's in their plans and they're not trading him. Clearly trying to increase their asking price, despite giving Michael Bennet away for next to nothing and soon cutting Richard Sherman and getting nothing.

I'd certainly prefer to make no trades rather than bad trades. But even during the draft, the trades they've made recently have been at a net loss in value. This from the team that essentially "invented" the draft value chart.

If it does, I hope they pass. His contract demands will be high enough, I don't want to give up significant draft resources on top of it. Let Seattle keep him for another year.
Agree 100%. Like you said, I would rather make zero trades than bad trades. This isn't fantasy football.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Sure they are trying to bump up the cost, but that applies to every suitor, not just Dallas. Assuming Dallas is a suitor at all.

As for Cassel, the Cowboys swapped a 5th round pick for Cassel and a 7th round pick. Very minimal cost, and really not bad considering it was an in season trade and the Cowboys were desperate for QB help and had no leverage. Once a teams' roster is set and the season is going on, trades are not easy.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure they are trying to bump up the cost, but that applies to every suitor, not just Dallas. Assuming Dallas is a suitor at all.

And as we've both acknowledged, the Jones boys have a history of being taken to the cleaners. That's what concerns me.

As for Cassel, the Cowboys swapped a 5th round pick for Cassel and a 7th round pick. Very minimal cost, and really not bad considering it was an in season trade and the Cowboys were desperate for QB help and had no leverage. Once a teams' roster is set and the season is going on, trades are not easy.

It was a bad trade for a guy who didn't help them at all.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And as we've both acknowledged, the Jones boys have a history of being taken to the cleaners. That's what concerns me.

It was a bad trade for a guy who didn't help them at all.

The history I've acknowledged is a couple of notably bad trades spread out over a long stretch of time, and not the habitual thing some make it out to be.

As for Cassel, it's easy to say that in hindsight, and I'm sure even the Cowboys weren't certain he was going to be a big difference maker, but we were coming off a season in which we won the division and got 2 rounds into the playoffs, and had expectations of making another run, so when Romo got hurt, and Weeden wasn't getting the job done, I don't understand how it wasn't reasonable to at least make an effort to keep the team afloat and in the hunt until Romo came back. Again, trade options are very limited once the season starts and rosters are set, and in any case, swapping a 5th round pick for Cassell and a 7th round pick is such a small cost to make that effort there is no way it qualifies as a notable blunder.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
ET cannot be our priority. Martin, Hitches, possibly even DLaw have to be our priorities.
Let Seattle and ET sit out there and see that no one is lining up to give even a 3rd round pick and take on his $hunger. The closer you get to the draft, the more likely they are to take a 5th or anything they can get IF they are really moving on from him. I'm just not sure he's worth the money at his age.

ehwqkbmg

Reaction score
I would really try the 3rd and Scandrick package for Thomas.

If they are losing Sherman as reported, Scandrick is a decent short-term solution with a reasonable contract.
That'd be like the Seahawks offering CB Jeremy Lane and a 3rd for Zack Martin.

EDIT: Seahawks just released Lane, hopefully the Cowboys do the same with Scandrick.