Twitter: SEA fielding trade offers for Earl Thomas

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
and Wilson
and K.J.Wright
and Carroll
Don't need Wilson or Wright.

Carroll as in Pete Carroll I'm kind of torn on. He is a better coach then Garrett no question about it but he would have to promise to run the ball on the goal line and not throw a pass.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was stated by someone a page or so back in this thread. There’s probably more to it but I was just basing my post off what was stated.

I would doubt that a 3rd or 4th would do, and even if it would I doubt Seattle would publically say so because doing so would undermine their ability to get the best possible deal. In an open bidding situation you let the suitors compete and you hope the competition leads to a better offer than you expected.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
See if they have any interest in Byron Jones. Has an extra year of control. Cheaper and is a freakish athlete. Maybe they can figure out what to do with him.

Jones for Thomas.

A 6 time Pro Bowler and 3 time All Pro for Byron Jones? Okay, I'd do the deal. I'll bet the house Seattle wouldn't.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
A 6 time Pro Bowler and 3 time All Pro for Byron Jones? Okay, I'd do the deal. I'll bet the house Seattle wouldn't.

If they are willing to take a 3rd rd pick then Jones seems like a good option.

They just gave away a pro bowl D-lineman for far less.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It is a salary dump for SEA..... EThomas may sit out now that all his friends are leaving

BJones is owed 1m this year and 6m next year if they pick up the option
EThomas is due 8.5m this year and then a FA

Getting something beyond a Comp Pick(which they could still get for BJones) is a win

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they are willing to take a 3rd rd pick then Jones seems like a good option.

They just gave away a pro bowl D-lineman for far less.

We don't know that they are willing to take a 3rd round pick, but even if they are they may prefer the pick over a player that is only 3 years younger than Thomas and that has had 3 years to make a mark and hasn't.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
We don't know that they are willing to take a 3rd round pick, but even if they are they may prefer the pick over a player that is only 3 years younger than Thomas and that has had 3 years to make a mark and hasn't.

I simply suggested they make the offer. Byron Jones is worth much more than a 3rd rd pick.

Keep Scandrick and we still are set at CB while solving the issue at Safety. Still have all our draft picks. Seattle gets their salary dump but gets a starting NFL player instead of a 3rd rd pick.

Just a suggestion and much more than they got for Bennett.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is a salary dump for SEA..... EThomas may sit out now that all his friends are leaving

BJones is owed 1m this year and 6m next year if they pick up the option
EThomas is due 8.5m this year and then a FA

Getting something beyond a Comp Pick(which they could still get for BJones) is a win

Dumpinig salary doesn't mean the Seahawks aren't going to try and get the best deal they can out of it. My bet is they would rather take a chance on the upside that would go along with a young player that could take with a fairly high draft pick than to take a player that has had 3 years in the NFL and hasn't been more than average.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Dumpinig salary doesn't mean the Seahawks aren't going to try and get the best deal they can out of it. My bet is they would rather take a chance on the upside that would go along with a young player that could take with a fairly high draft pick than to take a player that has had 3 years in the NFL and hasn't been more than average.

You think a 3rd rd pick is worth more than an average NFL starter? Besides they may have a better plan for him.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I simply suggested they make the offer. Byron Jones is worth much more than a 3rd rd pick.

Keep Scandrick and we still are set at CB while solving the issue at Safety. Still have all our draft picks. Seattle gets their salary dump but gets a starting NFL player instead of a 3rd rd pick.

Just a suggestion and much more than they got for Bennett.

I wouldn't say Jones is worth much more than a 3rd round pick at all. A 3rd round pick would be 3-4 years younger, and would presumably have upside that Byron hasn't proven in his 3 years in the NFL. And remember, Byron was a very late 1st round pick. At best at this point he would be considered at least a full round less in value, which would be very late 2nd round, and frankly I don't think any team would give up that much for him. My guess is the best the Cowboys could hope for if they wanted to trade Jones for a draft pick would be a 4th rounder.

wssaustin

Reaction score
We can do the trade but after franchise-tagged Tanks, do we still have cap space to sign him?

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I wouldn't say Jones is worth much more than a 3rd round pick at all. A 3rd round pick would be 3-4 years younger, and would presumably have upside that Byron hasn't proven in his 3 years in the NFL. And remember, Byron was a very late 1st round pick. At best at this point he would be considered at least a full round less in value, which would be very late 2nd round, and frankly I don't think any team would give up that much for him. My guess is the best the Cowboys could hope for if they wanted to trade Jones for a draft pick would be a 4th rounder.

I guess there is only one way to find out. They should make the call. I think you are undervaluing Jones. They took a UDFA receiver and a low draft pick for Bennett.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You think a 3rd rd pick is worth more than an average NFL starter? Besides they may have a better plan for him.

You think an average NFL starter is worth a 6 time Pro Bowler and 3 time All Pro? If they are dumping older players, their interest is likely not in getting players that are ensured to be average. I imagine they will be looking to build, not find a way to get by.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I start out offering a 3rd, knowing ultimately the deal gets done for a 2nd. It's a no-brainer IMO assuming you've reviewed his medical records and confident you're getting top level safety for the next 3-4 seasons.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I start out offering a 3rd, knowing ultimately the deal gets done for a 2nd. It's a no-brainer IMO assuming you've reviewed his medical records and confident you're getting top level safety for the next 3-4 seasons.

There is also the fit in the salary cap to consider and how it would affect the ability to sign others, but in general I think this sounds reasonable.

Wood

Reaction score

the problem isnt getting Thomas. Its keeping him on fair deal. He wants max contract.