Seahawks Offering Clowney $18.5/Per

Proximo

Reaction score
Haven’t really followed Clowney throughout his career. Other than being drafted highly and underperforming, what’s been this guy’s deal?

Should we even be interested, at the right price?
Is he a head case and/or slacker?

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Haven’t really followed Clowney throughout his career. Other than being drafted highly and underperforming, what’s been this guy’s deal?

Injuries and just plain not playing up to his potential/hype.

Flamma

Reaction score

Sarge pretty much said it short and sweet. We don't need an injury prone DE making 20M a year. That would be a disaster. I think the dude is nuts not to accept that offer from Seattle.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Sarge pretty much said it short and sweet. We don't need an injury prone DE making 20M a year. That would be a disaster. I think the dude is nuts not to accept that offer from Seattle.

While his first two seasons started rough, he then went on to play 14, 15, 16 and 13 games. The $20 million wouldn't matter much if it's structured well and you have an "out" if injuries become a major problem.

I'd much rather have an injury prone DE that is a good pass rusher and a great run blocker over a $60 million guaranteed ghosting WR.

Flamma

Reaction score
While his first two seasons started rough, he then went on to play 14, 15, 16 and 13 games. The $20 million wouldn't matter much if it's structured well and you have an "out" if injuries become a major problem.

I'd much rather have an injury prone DE that is a good pass rusher and a great run blocker over a $60 million guaranteed ghosting WR.

LOL I have never said I liked that contract Cooper got. I even mentioned it in another thread. But like you said, if it is structured properly, we have an out. And Cooper's is. That 60 million in guarantees is only coming out of Jerry's pocket.

I also don't think Cooper ghosts or just doesn't show up from time to time. I just think people expect too much from him. Or think too highly of him. He's not a hall of fame WR. In my youth I played WR and had absolutely great games and crap games. I didn't purposely take a week off. It happens. A WR doesn't always have control. The defense and the quarterback's time in the pocket plays a huge role.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
LOL I have never said I liked that contract Cooper got. I even mentioned it in another thread. But like you said, if it is structured properly, we have an out. And Cooper's is. That 60 million in guarantees is only coming out of Jerry's pocket.

I also don't think Cooper ghosts or just doesn't show up from time to time. I just think people expect too much from him. Or think too highly of him. He's not a hall of fame WR. In my youth I played WR and had absolutely great games and crap games. I didn't purposely take a week off. It happens. A WR doesn't always have control. The defense and the quarterback's time in the pocket plays a huge role.

LOL Cooper ghosts, this is not "high expectations". I expect a player to show up on the road and no disappear down the stretch, which he has done in literally every single season he has been in the league. Oh, and then there are the drops which he led in twice in his career, and he had some boneheaded drops last season as well. When you get paid like an elite #1, I expect elite #1 play.

You know nothing about Cooper's history, yet you comment on it. His contract is garbage for him showing up 50% of the time.

Flamma

Reaction score
LOL Cooper ghosts, this is not "high expectations". I expect a player to show up on the road and no disappear down the stretch, which he has done in literally every single season he has been in the league. Oh, and then there are the drops which he led in twice in his career, and he had some boneheaded drops last season as well. When you get paid like an elite #1, I expect elite #1 play.

You know nothing about Cooper's history, yet you comment on it. His contract is garbage for him showing up 50% of the time.

That's what I've been trying to say. He's not as good as people make him out to be. Yes, he's over paid. Just like our quarterback.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
If I'm Dallas, I'd offer him 19 a year. He's 27 years old. He might sign for 18 since the taxes are lower.

jnday

Reaction score
If I'm Dallas, I'd offer him 19 a year. He's 27 years old. He might sign for 18 since the taxes are lower.
Why would Dallas want an underachieving, injury prone player that can’t be depended on?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Why would you guys offer him $19M?

The updated tweet says teams have been offering between $13-14M.

I’d imagine you could sign him for around $15-16M if that’s the case.