Seahawks release DT Jarran Reed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Reed will probably bet on himself, take a one year deal and wait for the cap to increase.

Will probably get less than Tomlinson although he is the better player IMO.

Dallas has no real excuse to not be in on a one year deal.

They can find the money. Elliotts money is guaranteed and he is going to here anyway. Restructure him if need be....worry about the extra few million of dead money in 2024 when the time comes.

Will they kick the tires? They probably already have.

He isnt coming here.
Here is the opportunity just like you say,, here is your opportunity Jerry to sign a legit DT that brings a veteran presence and would be a great mentor for young DTs like Gallimore,, how valuable is that?
28 years old, still in his prime for a couple years.
Reed wanted a long term deal in Seattle, so he wants to get payed,, we can make the money as easy as the feds do it..lol
Cooper just waiting for Jerry to restructure him.
Money is always there,, Jerrys willingness to mortgage what's left of his future is minimal likelihood.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Here is the opportunity just like you say,, here is your opportunity Jerry to sign a legit DT that brings a veteran presence and would be a great mentor for young DTs like Gallimore,, how valuable is that?
28 years old, still in his prime for a couple years.
Reed wanted a long term deal in Seattle, so he wants to get payed,, we can make the money as easy as the feds do it..lol
Cooper just waiting for Jerry to restructure him.
Money is always there,, Jerrys willingness to mortgage what's left of his future is minimal likelihood.
Jerry's a gambler and I'm surprised he doesn't do more of this, but realistically the kid has a lot more pull these days....especially after he talked Jerry out of Manziel and Paxton as an example.

The kid doesn't like risks. Have to accept the good with the bad I suppose.

Rayman70

Reaction score
depends what kind of money he wants. Its easy to say just sign the guy when we have no idea what he wants. But yeah, its worth making a phone call.He would def. add quality to the dline instantly. Hes a good run stuffer and disrupts.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Does not appear he has been released yet. Seahawks hoping to trade Reed?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Jerry's a gambler and I'm surprised he doesn't do more of this, but realistically the kid has a lot more pull these days....especially after he talked Jerry out of Manziel and Paxton as an example.

The kid doesn't like risks. Have to accept the good with the bad I suppose.
The kid is the ultra conservative, he must have got that from his mom.
Not a horrible gene to inherit,, maybe he has patience,, and Im not trying to be a wise ***,, if we keep building conservatively while not taking big future dead cap hits,
when we can get to a playoff level roster would be the appropriate time to drop it all to bring in the best FAs, restructure all the dead cap into the future if you have an
opportunity and feel that you are close.
This team isnt that close yet, so I cant totally dismiss Stephen boy just yet,, I am a very patient man, to an extent.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Does not appear he has been released yet. Seahawks hoping to trade Reed?

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...wks-expected-to-trade-or-release-jarran-reed/

As first reported by Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Seahawks hoped to get Reed to agree to a restructured contract that would have reduced his 2021 cap hit of $13.975 million for the final season of his contract.

Instead, as Rapoport reported, Reed wanted a long-term deal, and with negotiations going nowhere, the team has decided to try to trade Reed.

If a trade does not happen, then the team could release Reed, a source confirmed.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I think we have to get him to fill the huge void that Crawford left.
I sure hope you’re joking about Crawford leaving a huge void ...... his contract’s been a huge void its entire duration. He started the stupid BSU pipeline.

plymkr

Reaction score
I sure hope you’re joking about Crawford leaving a huge void ...... his contract’s been a huge void its entire duration. He started the stupid BSU pipeline.
Are you serious???? How do you expect to come up with 2 sacks and 17 tackles???? Who's going to make up that production?

But yes I am joking, the only void he leaves is in the salary cap which is the best thing he's done since entering the league. Carrying his 17 whole tackles and 2 sacks with a 9 million hit is exactly why we sucked rocks last year on D.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Why funny we have 2 of each and are you going to find someone as good right away? That would help our dline a ton. So laugh all you want but dont ***** then when teams run by us...

D.la, reed, gallimore and Gregory sounds pretty good.
My friend, he replied like that because you offered a trade for him when he's already been released.
You can't trade for him.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yes, and while I remain positive about at least addressing some glaring holes, until we find that interior DL, we need both,, this defense will be exposed quickly and regularly.
Gallimore was a good start, just a rook in a bad year, showed some flashes,, lets not all be so Trysten Hill with Gallimore just yet,, I see some potential but we still need to go into this draft with DTs a priority, I dont care if they are
considered a 1T or 3T, if Nixon were still there at 44, I draft him all day.

I'm not ready to cast aside either Gallimore or Hill, but I'm also not ready to count on either as the kind of 3-tech that's needed in this scheme. The production isn't there to show that they can be.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Reed was an immediate starter at DT, and he is now a stud, but his stats show why rookies take time on the DL.

2016 - 13 solo tackles, 1.5 sacks
2017 - 23 solo tackles, 1.5 sacks
2018 - 34 solo tackles, 10.5 sacks
2019 - 10 solo tackles, 2 sacks
2020 - 20 solo tackles, 6.5 sacks

Take away the 2018 outlier, is that production worth 10 million per year? I say, if you have 10 million, yes.

Just because some develop doesn't mean they all will. Counting on a player that had a half-sack to become the stud that we need is foolish. Hoping that he does is fine. Address the position and hope that he develops and then we'd have two quality pass rushers on the inside, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I remember some falling in love with Maliek Collins after he had five sacks as a rookie. We saw how that turned out for us.

The bottom line is we've got to fix the 3-tech spot if we're going to run that alignment. It doesn't matter to me how many resources we throw at it as long as we fix it. Until we do, this defense will be always lacking.

jrumann59

Reaction score
depends what kind of money he wants. Its easy to say just sign the guy when we have no idea what he wants. But yeah, its worth making a phone call.He would def. add quality to the dline instantly. Hes a good run stuffer and disrupts.
Now that is the question. Many fans here think JJ or SJ or McClay are sitting on their hands when guys hit the market. I am willing to bet they know how much he wants and whether or not they feel comfortable paying that. Put let the illusion continue that FO is just sitting there waiting on agents to call them.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I'm not ready to cast aside either Gallimore or Hill, but I'm also not ready to count on either as the kind of 3-tech that's needed in this scheme. The production isn't there to show that they can be.
Have more faith in Gallimore than Hill at this point, but hope they both step it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.