Sean Lee Moving to SAM as Starter

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You got it all wrong

I don't think I do. Where did Smith and Vander Esch actually play in 2018? Smith was in the middle and LVE was playing weakside.

LVE is the MIKE..... he has the frame for stack and shed and good in deep middle coverage

JSmith is the WILL .... he is best at pursue and in space....... he is sideline to sideline machine

I'm not disputing physical attributes. I agree with what their ideal physical roles would be, but that's not where the team played them or where they have their experience.

SLee at the SAM will be fine..... he knows reads and positioning and will take on the extra impact with less reps..... the SAM only get 15-20 snaps in the base

For about two weeks, then his frail body will again break down under the increased physical demands of the SLB position. Physically and injury risk wise, it's the worst role he could play. It has nothing to do with how smart he is, and everything to do with how injury prone he is. And why the Cowboys have done everything they can to move him away from contact.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I don't think I do. Where did Smith and Vander Esch actually play in 2018? Smith was in the middle and LVE was playing weakside.

I'm not disputing physical attributes. I agree with what their ideal physical roles would be, but that's not where the team played them or where they have their experience.

For about two weeks, then his frail body will again break down under the increased physical demands of the SLB position. Physically and injury risk wise, it's the worst role he could play. It has nothing to do with how smart he is, and everything to do with how injury prone he is. And why the Cowboys have done everything they can to move him away from contact.

C'mon, many a linebacker has strongly moved past an age of 34 and played quite well. Sean Lee can as well...I believe in him!

Go Cowboys!!:starspin:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
C'mon, many a linebacker has strongly moved past an age of 34 and played quite well. Sean Lee can as well...I believe in him!

Go Cowboys!!:starspin:

I can be optimistic and hopeful that it works out, but I can also be realistic and acknowledge the injuries that have plagued the player his entire career.

I'm a Sean Lee fan and want to keep him around this organization for a long time, but I can also admit that he's on the tail end of his career, has been hurt a lot, and now this talk about moving him to a position where he'll take on a more physical role. Those factors don't instill a lot of confidence.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I agree about those being their most natural positions, but I don't think it's smart to move everyone's else around to accommodate Sean Lee on the field.

Jaylon Smith is playing the middle, except when Sean Lee comes in. LVE is playing weakside, but move to the middle when Sean Lee comes in. I'd rather one guy adjust than three.

MLB in Nickel and Base are just different positions with different responsibilities, though people call them by the same names. Same with WLB in Nickel and Base.

Viewed facing the defense:
Base Smith-LVE-Lee
Big Nickel LVE-Lee, with Smith playing like an in the box SS, an extra CB, and our mediocre SS's on the bench
Nickel LVE-Smith

Jaylon should be on the edge instead of the middle, where his speed, blitzing, and man coverage can be used. He's the natural guy to take over WLB when Lee leaves.
LVE as the man in the middle, where his size, run fit, length, and zone coverage are best used.
Lee as run fit and zone fit at WLB, where he has been an All Pro.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MLB in Nickel and Base are just different positions with different responsibilities, though people call them by the same names. Same with WLB in Nickel and Base.

Viewed facing the defense:
Base Smith-LVE-Lee
Big Nickel LVE-Lee, with Smith playing like an in the box SS, an extra CB, and our mediocre SS's on the bench
Nickel LVE-Smith

Jaylon should be on the edge instead of the middle, where his speed, blitzing, and man coverage can be used. He's the natural guy to take over WLB when Lee leaves.
LVE as the man in the middle, where his size, run fit, length, and zone coverage are best used.
Lee as run fit and zone fit at WLB, where he has been an All Pro.

Tell that your the team, they're the ones who are playing them differently. And it's the team that has given them their experience and comfort level in those spots, nit me.

From a physical ability perspective? I agree with the crowd, LVE in the middle with Lee at weakside and Smith playing strong. But that's not where any of them have played or are now slated to play.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
This essentially means he'll barely be on the field, limiting him to a role as a two-down linebacker.

Shame for a guy who, at one point, was one of the better coverage LB's in the game but at least maybe he'll survive the season.

Or that he starts and rotates in on nickel/dime packages.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
You got it all wrong

LVE is the MIKE..... he has the frame for stack and shed and good in deep middle coverage

JSmith is the WILL .... he is best at pursue and in space....... he is sideline to sideline machine

SLee at the SAM will be fine..... he knows reads and positioning and will take on the extra impact with less reps..... the SAM only get 15-20 snaps in the base

I'd reverse JSmith and SLee for the base. You want the guy who can blitz at SAM. The bigger guy too. At SAM, Jaylon still plays an edge with his speed.

Jaylon is man coverage, edge, and blitzing. Lee is zone fit, run or pass.

Last year, even before LVE, there was talk of moving Jaylon to SAM, and I thought it was genius, at least compared to what we have been doing. LVE's blitzing ability makes him a naturally *great* SAM. In the base, draft a cheap bruiser for run fit and taking on the offense at MLB, keeping Lee and Jaylon clean. Now we've got a huge, long, superfreak at MLB. That's even better.

It's really ok to have a good player at SAM in the base. It doesn't mean have to mean that Jaylon comes off the field in Nickel.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Tell that your the team, they're the ones who are playing them differently. And it's the team that has given them their experience and comfort level in those spots, nit me.

From a physical ability perspective? I agree with the crowd, LVE in the middle with Lee at weakside and Smith playing strong. But that's not where any of them have played or are now slated to play.

If they're listening, that's what I'm telling them. All I can do is be right. It's up to them to follow my wisdom.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they're listening, that's what I'm telling them. All I can do is be right. It's up to them to follow my wisdom.

giphy.gif

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

I don't believe or disbelieve. I don't know what Lee can still do. Maybe it's only limited snaps. But still, his best limited snaps will be in the base at Will. Jaylon is our best Sam. LVE is our best Mike.

People should stop treating Sam like it's a place for bums. That's been our choice, but it's not inherent in the role. Jaylon is an awesome blitzer, and that's best used at Sam. That's not Lee. Lee is a genius at working the wash of run fit. That's Will.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Then how about we do what's sensible, instead of doing the stupid we did before?

To be fair, the positions last year were a product of timing. LVE was injured early, so they didn't expect to use him. So Lee at Will, where he was best, puts Jaylon at Mike, although they did talk of moving him to Sam before the draft.

Then Lee gets injured, and we don't want to move Jaylon midseason, so LVE goes to Will.

Now we've got the full offseason to put them all where they belong. Let's do that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then how about we do what's sensible, instead of doing the stupid we did before?

To be fair, the positions last year were a product of timing. LVE was injured early, so they didn't expect to use him. So Lee at Will, where he was best, puts Jaylon at Mike, although they did talk of moving him to Sam before the draft.

Then Lee gets injured, and we don't want to move Jaylon midseason, so LVE goes to Will.

Now we've got the full offseason to put them all where they belong. Let's do that.

If it's that easy? Sure, I would do that too. But if it negatively affects either LVE or Smith's effectiveness? I'm out. Leave it as it is and let Lee fit in wherever there's an opening. I'm not "fixing what isn't broken" to accommodate any one player.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I'd reverse JSmith and SLee for the base. You want the guy who can blitz at SAM. The bigger guy too. At SAM, Jaylon still plays an edge with his speed.

Jaylon is man coverage, edge, and blitzing. Lee is zone fit, run or pass.

Last year, even before LVE, there was talk of moving Jaylon to SAM, and I thought it was genius, at least compared to what we have been doing. LVE's blitzing ability makes him a naturally *great* SAM. In the base, draft a cheap bruiser for run fit and taking on the offense at MLB, keeping Lee and Jaylon clean. Now we've got a huge, long, superfreak at MLB. That's even better.

It's really ok to have a good player at SAM in the base. It doesn't mean have to mean that Jaylon comes off the field in Nickel.
I agree.... especially if you are talking about having the SAM rush from the outside of DLaw

I was just going with the rumor they were putting SLee at SAM

And last year LVE played all over the field but excelled in the middle and the deep drop

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If it's that easy? Sure, I would do that too. But if it negatively affects either LVE or Smith's effectiveness? I'm out. Leave it as it is and let Lee fit in wherever there's an opening. I'm not "fixing what isn't broken" to accommodate any one player.

It's not just to accommodate Lee, it's to put them all at their best positions.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I agree.... especially if you are talking about having the SAM rush from the outside of DLaw

I was just going with the rumor they were putting SLee at SAM

And last year LVE played all over the field but excelled in the middle and the deep drop

Any word on Lee's health and fitness yet?

So many here are dismissing Lee as an afterthought. I'm excited about the upside he still may have.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Lee's best position isn't as a starter these days. He's not the Lee of old.

And how do you know that?

He's not a thousand years old. His hamstrings were bad and he played poorly for him. I was outside today. I didn't see "Lee's Hamstrings Are Shot" written in the clouds.

Rayman70

Reaction score
And how do you know that?

He's not a thousand years old. His hamstrings were bad and he played poorly for him. I was outside today. I didn't see "Lee's Hamstrings Are Shot" written in the clouds.
you said it.. as far as "how" ..ITS HIS HAMMIES. Like death and taxes, we have a yearly occurrence called Sean Lee goes down for an extended period of time due to his hamstrings. The true definition of insanity is to keep doing the same failed tactics over and over and expecting a better outcome.

Number1

Reaction score
This essentially means he'll barely be on the field, limiting him to a role as a two-down linebacker.

Shame for a guy who, at one point, was one of the better coverage LB's in the game but at least maybe he'll survive the season.

if you are the slowest guy in coverage you become a target - but all that changes in the red zone, especially in the case of Lee

notice when all 3 LBs are in ... Jaylon becomes SLB ... and could handle SS responsibilities in coverage (man or zone) or blitz any LB effectively ... I like that

that's how you deal with people like Celek or Barkley

and we have the CBs man up outside :)

Mr_437

Reaction score
Y'all are making up stuff up just to trick yourselves into thinking Sean Lee needs to be on the field.

You don't move a Top 5 MLB for a injury prone 33 yr old LB.

You don't move a Pro Bowl WLB to accommodate an injury prone 33 yr old LB.

Sean Lee is too slow to play WLB and too weak to play MLB in comparison to the starters, so why weaken the team to start him at one of those spots? Lee should find himself in a camp battle with Chris Covington for SAM.

Damien Wilson was still the starter at SAM last year...fwiw.

Lee was poor in coverage last year, no way he should be on the field if 3WRs are in the game, heck, I question his ability to stay with TE2s let alone a TE1 or a RB.