Sean Lee realistic analysis

AbeBeta

Reaction score
We would be foolish to not try to work something out with Lee. He's so important for our young guys. Yes, he probably should hang 'em up but I'd work with him and try to figure out how to give him Wilson's snaps in 19. Then LB coach in 2020

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
No question that Lee's not the same dude any more. We've seen him consistently miss plays he always used to make.

He's 33 with an injury list longer than a Costco receipt, so I don't know why anyone would be surprised if he's done. He's not going to make full salary here, and based on his comments in a post above, it sounds like he'd rather retire than play for another team. So the only question is if he wants to backup WLB for a couple mil or if he's ready to call it a day, and that's up to him.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
What is Sean Lee NOW? Is he the stud player that didn't play well because of some odd reason last year and who will rebound in a big way in 2019 or is he done?

That's a huge question that the Cowboys need to get right. I think there is more risk to the Cowboys in assuming that he will rebound than to assume he won't.

If we assume he won't, someone who needs linebacker help will probably be willing to take a risk on him and give us something in return for him. If he rebounds it doesn't really matter because he shouldn't get any real PT this year here unless Jaylon or LVE is injured.

If we keep him and pay him, and he doesn't play well, it costs us his cap hit AND more importantly it costs us quality play needed in a back up role.

I don't know what the correct play is on this one, as it could go either way, but I hope the team gets it right. I would err toward the pick. But if he stays there is no way he is seeing his full salary this year if I'm Jerry.

He had a torn hamstring.

It takes 4-6 weeks minimum to heal.

He will be back.

Quit trying to run SLee out of Dallas.

He will retire soon enough.

Enjoy his playing years while he is still here.

Get a grip.

cern

Reaction score
If he takes a pay cut and agrees to back up instead of start while he coaches the younger guys that isn't a progress stopper. It's a win-win. Keeping him under other circumstances is the progress stopper.
Why do you think he'd take a pay cut? Jyo?

btcutter

Reaction score
Lee should be brought back with $1 million base salary and easy incentive to make it to $ 3 million. Other incentives for if he plays well, makes pro bowl etc. Yes, he needs to be a backup but his leadership skills and as a sideline coach for the young guys will be invaluable.

LBs always get nicked up and having Lee as quality backup or rotating in for a series each half will only preserve the young guns for a long season.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I’m the biggest Lee fan around, but no he didn’t play well. If you doubt that consider how little coaches chose to play him down the stretch and in the playoffs...and consider PFF’s score—which was a mere 57.6.

I saw early in the season...wow, what happened to Sean?!
LVE was the reason that Lee did not play....similar to how Dak was the reason Romo did not play. Wasnt ability it was you just couldnt take that guy out of the game because he was playing so well.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I may be mistaken, but I remember Lee looking considerably better against the Rams than pretty much anyone else on the defense, including LVE and Jaylon.

This is correct.

Sean Lee says he wants to play this year, Stephen Jones says they want to keep him. Lee has said he understands the economics to snaps and I also believe he looks to be a coach here eventually.

But he wants to play this year and I believe he see's a serious contender in this team and that's why he wants to play to get a ring.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
We would be foolish to not try to work something out with Lee. He's so important for our young guys. Yes, he probably should hang 'em up but I'd work with him and try to figure out how to give him Wilson's snaps in 19. Then LB coach in 2020
This ^^ Good post. :thumbup:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
What is Sean Lee NOW? Is he the stud player that didn't play well because of some odd reason last year and who will rebound in a big way in 2019 or is he done?

That's a huge question that the Cowboys need to get right. I think there is more risk to the Cowboys in assuming that he will rebound than to assume he won't.

If we assume he won't, someone who needs linebacker help will probably be willing to take a risk on him and give us something in return for him. If he rebounds it doesn't really matter because he shouldn't get any real PT this year here unless Jaylon or LVE is injured.

If we keep him and pay him, and he doesn't play well, it costs us his cap hit AND more importantly it costs us quality play needed in a back up role.

I don't know what the correct play is on this one, as it could go either way, but I hope the team gets it right. I would err toward the pick. But if he stays there is no way he is seeing his full salary this year if I'm Jerry.

This is not hard.

Reduce the contract, and write it to pay game availability and snap use.

The Floor
Hammies don't really recover. He ends up on IR, coaching our budding LB stars through the year.

Mid range
He's kind of done. The athleticism is sapped.
He's Damien Wilson with Lee Brain as DC on the field to improve everyone around him.

Top range
Hammies basically heal. All Pro who has lost a step body with Sean Lee's brain, and we've got the best triple of LBs in the league, with Lee Brain as DC on the field.

The Floor is worth million or two.
Mid is really good.
Top range is fantastic.

And we're talking top compensation down from 7. Maybe 5 if he hits all game and snap incentives? So totally worth it.

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Who are you taking off the field?
The team plays in the nickel virtually the whole game.

Wilson played 28% of snaps. I doubt he was ever put in for nickel.

If Lee gets basically healthy, he's an All Pro who has lost a step, but brings his brain as the 12th man onto the field. We would have 3 LBs on the field more often because Lee just adds more to the defense than Frazier, Heath, or our 3rd corner.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I may be mistaken, but I remember Lee looking considerably better against the Rams than pretty much anyone else on the defense, including LVE and Jaylon.

That's why they put him in. Physically, I don't think he ever got back to 100%, but he reads the field as well as anyone in the league. And LVE and Jaylon aren't near that level of recognition yet. Probably never will be. Sean Lees don't grow on trees.

nobody

Reaction score

Because the team might not want to keep him at what he'd make this year and opt to cut him....so he could go to another team, or opt to take a pay cut and remain with his team. He doesn't strike me as the me-first kind of player. He strikes me as a team-player who realizes the reality of the situation: He's getting older, can't stay healthy, and has to compete with younger guys who are good in their own right. What's best for him? What's best for the team? Personally, I'd thank him for his service and cut him if he wouldn't agree to a reduced salary. There are other incentives they can give him, including a lucrative LB coaching gig when he retires. The guy knows the game and position well. He just can't stay healthy. He's helped teach the newer players a lot this past season.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I’d like to see an incentive laden, reduced salary contract that rewards him well if he ends up playing major snaps for us, but protects us financially if he is hurt or plays minimally.

Would hate to see him in another uniform, and as others have pointed out— his value as a teammate and leader is tremendous

John813

Reaction score
Can Sean play SOLB? I mean, the SOLB is the strong side linebacker, who usually is guaranteed to take on a blocker on run downs. They moved him to Will years ago so he could avoid taking on blockers and have a "freer" shot to the ball carrier.

Mentally, I have no doubts, but physically I dunno if he can handle even those limited snaps.

It sounds good to have him take over Wilsons snaps, but I don't think it's practical.

We'll see though. Maybe Richard and Bloom can make it work.

If it were strictly up to me, I'd be real tempted to sincerely apologize to Lee before sending him packing.

However, with Jerry being both a fan and a soft touch for his players, he might well see fit to retain him.

Interestingly enough, Stephen was vocal on keeping Lee.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Can Sean play SOLB? I mean, the SOLB is the strong side linebacker, who usually is guaranteed to take on a blocker on run downs. They moved him to Will years ago so he could avoid taking on blockers and have a "freer" shot to the ball carrier.

Mentally, I have no doubts, but physically I dunno if he can handle even those limited snaps.

It sounds good to have him take over Wilsons snaps, but I don't think it's practical.

We'll see though. Maybe Richard and Bloom can make it work.

Interestingly enough, Stephen was vocal on keeping Lee.

Good stuff. I'm thinking if Lee does stick around, it'll likely be in a backup capacity for considerably less $$. We'll see, though!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Lee should be brought back with $1 million base salary and easy incentive to make it to $ 3 million. Other incentives for if he plays well, makes pro bowl etc. Yes, he needs to be a backup but his leadership skills and as a sideline coach for the young guys will be invaluable.

LBs always get nicked up and having Lee as quality backup or rotating in for a series each half will only preserve the young guns for a long season.

Lee can start in the base. The real opportunity is to get him on the field with LVE and Jaylon. A Sean Lee instead of a Damien Wilson next to LVE and Jaylon.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Because Lee himself has indicated this including a lesser role. Dallas is going to have backups at LB so why not Lee? we know that and if Lee is willing to take less money work in a backup role and continue to for the most part coach these young LB then his service to this team is great.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Lee could play SOLB, but putting Jaylon opposite TEs makes more sense to me. He can cover them in man.

There was talk last offseason of moving Jaylon to SOLB. I loved it. Best idea they have had in a while. Instead of having some meh player at SOLB, but Jaylon on the edge where his speed could be better used, then get a cheap thumper of a MLB who would leave for nickel.

Now, I think Lee leaves when we have 2 LBs.

LVE to MLB. Let him put more weight on and roam the middle.

John813

Reaction score
Lee could play SOLB, but putting Jaylon opposite TEs makes more sense to me. He can cover them in man.

There was talk last offseason of moving Jaylon to SOLB. I loved it. Best idea they have had in a while. Instead of having some meh player at SOLB, but Jaylon on the edge where his speed could be better used, then get a cheap thumper of a MLB who would leave for nickel.

Now, I think Lee leaves when we have 2 LBs.

LVE to MLB. Let him put more weight on and roam the middle.

Maybe we'll see that in base formations. I like the idea of Smith at SOLB,. Could be a Bruce Irvin clone in blitzing.

Lee at WOLB, LVE at ILB and Smith at SOLB. Then Smith and LVE in the nickel.