Sean Lee realistic analysis

Sydla

Reaction score
Try to cut his cap hit down significantly or cut him. Those are the only real options.

There is no way he should play this year as a backup for that $10MM cap hit.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Lee should be brought back with $1 million base salary and easy incentive to make it to $ 3 million. Other incentives for if he plays well, makes pro bowl etc. Yes, he needs to be a backup but his leadership skills and as a sideline coach for the young guys will be invaluable.

LBs always get nicked up and having Lee as quality backup or rotating in for a series each half will only preserve the young guns for a long season.

We lose $3 million in dead money if we cut him. I'd pay him that much to stick around.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Convert his present contract from one year to a two year deal.
Bonus at $1 million.
Salary 2 million in 2019 and 2 million in 2020.
Save $2 million right away.

If play is that low in 2019 - release him.
Could also be LB coach in 2020.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Maybe we'll see that in base formations. I like the idea of Smith at SOLB,. Could be a Bruce Irvin clone in blitzing.

Lee at WOLB, LVE at ILB and Smith at SOLB. Then Smith and LVE in the nickel.

We could mainly play a big nickel, with Smith acting like an in the box SS over the TE, and Lee and LVE at WOLB and ILB. Bring in a corner and take out Heath at SS. That's our best set of players, if Lee is healthy again. We're weak at SS anyway.

Verdict

Reaction score
I didn't realize he did not play well. In fact Im pretty confident that he did play well when he was healthy. Sean has the same concerns as he has had from day 1.......injuries. May be the reason he is not on the roster next season.

Go back and watch the game he played in. Except for really short stints he played really bad last year. He was a liability when he played most of the time. It was crazy how badly he played because I was no expecting to see that from him.

Verdict

Reaction score
We could mainly play a big nickel, with Smith acting like an in the box SS over the TE, and Lee and LVE at WOLB and ILB. Bring in a corner and take out Heath at SS. That's our best set of players, if Lee is healthy again. We're weak at SS anyway.

Lee is a serious liability in the passing game. He couldn't play nickel effectively. Teams were scheming plays at him in the passing game. That's never been the case.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Lee is a fan favorite and deservedly so. He has played at a pro-bowl level many times with injuries keeping him out many times. We have fan favorites like Heath who don't deserve the fandom. Lee does. Still, the injury bug is real. Bring him back at a reduced pay for a year, sure. For $7 mill no way and it's bye bye like Dezzie. Maybe the two can join forces somewhere else with their love for each other. CAN YOU DIG IT!!

cern

Reaction score
what would belichik and the pats do? odds are it would have already been done. we kept witten too long. don't need to repeat the mistake with lee.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Go back and watch the game he played in. Except for really short stints he played really bad last year. He was a liability when he played most of the time. It was crazy how badly he played because I was no expecting to see that from him.
The only game I remember him playing bad in was the Rams. But LVE and Smith bad as well in that game.

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score
If it were strictly up to me, I'd be real tempted to sincerely apologize to Lee before sending him packing.

However, with Jerry being both a fan and a soft touch for his players, he might well see fit to retain him.
Well it's a good thing the Cowboys aren't run by wannabe know it all loser fans or we'd be in trouble lmao.

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score
Yeah you're a moron. Acting like he played terribly. lmao.

BillyBates

Reaction score
I would rather see him in a coaching staff position. at 32 and given his injuries its time to put down the helmet and pick up the surface tablet.
we have a few others on our D that need to get paid. loosing some key players would have negative implications. current cap spending
94 million on O, 49 million on D. The D need a bit of love from some dead presidents.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is Sean Lee NOW? Is he the stud player that didn't play well because of some odd reason last year and who will rebound in a big way in 2019 or is he done?

That's a huge question that the Cowboys need to get right. I think there is more risk to the Cowboys in assuming that he will rebound than to assume he won't.

If we assume he won't, someone who needs linebacker help will probably be willing to take a risk on him and give us something in return for him. If he rebounds it doesn't really matter because he shouldn't get any real PT this year here unless Jaylon or LVE is injured.

If we keep him and pay him, and he doesn't play well, it costs us his cap hit AND more importantly it costs us quality play needed in a back up role.

I don't know what the correct play is on this one, as it could go either way, but I hope the team gets it right. I would err toward the pick. But if he stays there is no way he is seeing his full salary this year if I'm Jerry.

The only realistic options seem to be pay cut or release. His 7M salary is too much for a backup.

Even if the 3 LBs in the base became Lee, Vander Esch and Jaylon, the SLB only plays about 30% or less of the snaps.

Note: Lee would likely play WLB in base with either Vander Esch or Jaylon playing SLB. Then the 2 starting LBs in Nickel would be Vander Esch and Jaylon.

If Lee is reasonably healthy,even at his current age, the trio of Lee, Vander Esch and Jaylon is an upgrade over Wilson, Vander Esch and Jaylon.

At a reduced cost or playing time incentive type contract, Lee would be good to have on the roster. If he plays a few snaps every game he has a chance to stay healthy which gives the team an above average or better backup in the event of an injury to Vander Esch or Jaylon.

Past Scenario:
In the past they paid him with the hope that he would play 100% of the LB snaps. He played regardless of whether there were 3 LBs (base), 2 LBs (Nickel) or 1 LB (Dime).

Future Scenario:
Now they would be planning for him to play about 20% of the LB snaps and then bump up to 80% if Vander Esch or Jaylon were out for a complete game.

The probability of him staying healthy in the "Future Scenario" is much higher than the probability of him staying healthy in the "Past Scenario".

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Lee is a serious liability in the passing game. He couldn't play nickel effectively. Teams were scheming plays at him in the passing game. That's never been the case.

Last year was a bad year. If he gets healthy, we'll see. Lee is better in run defense, but has generally been very good in zone.

DanA

Reaction score
Incentive based contract:
1m base salary
300k per game

Can earn 5.8m if he's healthy. Everybody wins.

Verdict

Reaction score
The only realistic options seem to be pay cut or release. His 7M salary is too much for a backup.

Even if the 3 LBs in the base became Lee, Vander Esch and Jaylon, the SLB only plays about 30% or less of the snaps.

Note: Lee would likely play WLB in base with either Vander Esch or Jaylon playing SLB. Then the 2 starting LBs in Nickel would be Vander Esch and Jaylon.

If Lee is reasonably healthy,even at his current age, the trio of Lee, Vander Esch and Jaylon is an upgrade over Wilson, Vander Esch and Jaylon.

At a reduced cost or playing time incentive type contract, Lee would be good to have on the roster. If he plays a few snaps every game he has a chance to stay healthy which gives the team an above average or better backup in the event of an injury to Vander Esch or Jaylon.

Past Scenario:
In the past they paid him with the hope that he would play 100% of the LB snaps. He played regardless of whether there were 3 LBs (base), 2 LBs (Nickel) or 1 LB (Dime).

Future Scenario:
Now they would be planning for him to play about 20% of the LB snaps and then bump up to 80% if Vander Esch or Jaylon were out for a complete game.

The probability of him staying healthy in the "Future Scenario" is much higher than the probability of him staying healthy in the "Past Scenario".

You may be totally right about this, but it didn't seem like he played that well even when he was reported to be healthy. I will concede that he did have a couple of big plays early in the year and one of them was critical in a game on the line situation.

But I have never seen as many unshed blocks from Lee as we saw this year. And he seemed to diagnose plays, shoot the gap and whiff. We have really never seen that version of Sean Lee before last year.

I can't rule out a bounce back season but man, he looked done to me. If we keep him it should really be a low risk situation for the team because I really think he's done.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You obviously didn't watch the games or don't have any idea what you are watching.
I'll agree that he looked "off" for much of the season, but he looked better than the other 2 LBs in the Rams game to me.

Mr_437

Reaction score
At this point, Sean Lee would be doing himself an injustice by not enrolling in the Cowboys "fast track" Coaching Program...Just look at Kellen Moore after a one year apprenticeship he's a real live OC.

Marinelli n Richard could both be gone after next season paving the way for Sean to be the DC.