Sean Payton says he might coach again

HanD

Reaction score
Again, he has three years left on his contract and the Saints own his rights if he returns.

It’s like the ‘lateral move’ factor in the NFL. A coach can’t go to another team for a lateral move, unless the previous team releases him.
I agree but if the saints have another head coach, at that point they take what they can get for him imo. I think as opposed to this off-season where the price is high, it'll go down significantly next off-season. That's the only angle I can see.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
If McCarthy goes, I go with him.

Anybody who has a problem with that and wants to knuckle up, we'll be on Greenfield Avenue Pittsburgh, Pa 15217.

All I ask is we take breaks when Mike gets side cramps.

While you knuckle up, me and big Mike will be having a nice massage up at his office.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
This was all by design. It has Jerry's fingerprints all over it. McCarthy will coach this year and Payton will replace him next off season.

NoFurtherQuestions

Reaction score
Depends on the compensation
We need strong drafts to cover our bad contracts to vet players.
So we need our picks
Hopefully we can get him next season for not much draft capital.

In fact it would be a massive d*** move by the Saints if they played hardball over him after what he has done for them

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
So it seems like he is confirming that he's going to take at least a year off and leave himself open to coaching again in the future. Whether that will be for the Cowboys, I guess depends on how far McCarthy can take the team next season.

th

lukin2006

Reaction score
It won’t be in Dallas. When he decides to coach again will he have no shortage of GREAT offers that include not having to deal with Jerry and Jethro…

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That sounds good and is likely logical.

But it’s just ludicrous to wait a year to get your coach if the compensation is just a 3rd or something feasible

You’re wasting another year of Smith, Martin, Micah, Diggs etc

I agree, but Jerry doesn't just GM the team from a dispassionate distance. He gets to know these coaches and forges personal relationships which fogs the right decision. Then he gets his ego and football judgement all entangled. Thats how we end up with Carrot Top for 10 years. ..... while it took the Giants less than 2 years to figure out his process was garbage.

I hope Jerry can swallow his ego and pride long enough to hire Sean Payton as soon as possible. But I'm not sure Jerry has it in him to court a HC and woo them to Dallas. The last guy he handed the keys to his kingdom over too was Bill Parcels and Jerry didn't like the feel of the locker room with a strong HC in charge. Payton isn't that much different than BP...... same coaching tree and HOF pedigree. Will Jerry hand over the roster to him? I can't imagine Sean Payton taking a job without a lot of say in roster decisions. Thats going to be a tough negotiation for Jerry.

Rayman70

Reaction score
MM will be a lame duck HC if everyone knows we are really just biding time for Sean. I say, make the call right now. Lets not waste another year.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Jerry doesn't have time for a bad time..HIS WORDS. Does he really wanna wait yet another year? I think not. He doesnt want 2 lose out on Sean payton 2 times. I can see him making this happen right now, as long as Sean wants to.

cmoney23

Reaction score
The Packers were a joke before Favre. Once Rodgers leaves they'll be just like everyone else without a QB.
You're talking about a 30 year span... That takes an organization to do that. The organization traded to bring Favre in... They drafted Aaron Rodgers and developed him and now they have drafted another young QB to replace Rodgers. They do it right, for the most part.

Look at WR...
Sterling Shrape to
Donald Driver to
Greg Jennings to
Jordy Nelson to
Davante Adams.

Haimerej

Reaction score
You're talking about a 30 year span... That takes an organization to do that. The organization traded to bring Favre in... They drafted Aaron Rodgers and developed him and now they have drafted another young QB to replace Rodgers. They do it right, for the most part.

Look at WR...
Sterling Shrape to
Donald Driver to
Greg Jennings to
Jordy Nelson to
Davante Adams.

Again- back to back Hall of Fame QBs. Prior to Favre, they were awful throughout the '70's and '80's. Like Jerry Jones awful.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If McCarthy goes, I go with him.

Anybody who has a problem with that and wants to knuckle up, we'll be on Greenfield Avenue Pittsburgh, Pa 15217.

All I ask is we take breaks when Mike gets side cramps.
You wouldn't be the first fella that got hunted down in Pittsburgh and elsewhere. Did you know there are people that enjoy that kind of thing and are good at it? Scary people that you don't want coming after you. You won't see them coming until they have you. Lucky for you I don't have a problem with you going with Mike. I'm just saying. ;)

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Here's something that crossed my mind guys. Lets say we land Sean this year. Does his being here lure Drew Brees from retirement to play like 2 more years? I say that because ..Drew can either be a QB coach or a starter..If Sean looks at this team, he may think its very very close. He may pick up the phone and call Drew. Is Drew Happy in the studio? Does he miss playing? These are all legit questions. Drew as a Dallas Cowboy...hmmm...

So you making Dak the backup? Because Dak aint going anywhere with that contract, the dead money would be astronomical to trade him so that is out of the picture.

Dont see how you bring in Dree Brees to be your starting QB when your current QB is #3 in the league salary wise and has tons of guaranteed money left on his deal along with a no trade clause. You going to have a $45 million dollar backup QB?

Dont see it.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Jerry doesn't have time for a bad time..HIS WORDS. Does he really wanna wait yet another year? I think not. He doesnt want 2 lose out on Sean payton 2 times. I can see him making this happen right now, as long as Sean wants to.

Probably waiting a year due to optics. Would like like a giant middle finger to the Saints if he bailed this year and immediately took another HC job. If he takes a year off, the Saints will already have a new coach and the optics would look way better. Payton could say he took a year off to get reenergized and he realized how much he missed coaching. Draft compensation would probably be lower next year as well.

Just my guess.