Sean Payton says, "No sticker for you!"

Colo

Rocky Mountain High
Reaction score
From MMQB

8. I think Sean Payton needs to pay Bill Parcells some sort of royalty for stealing an idea and applying it in New Orleans. Rookies don't get the Saints' logo on the side of their practice helmets until they make the team. Same with Cowboys rookies and the Dallas star.

9. I think I hope Barry Bonds is stuck on 713 for the next 16 years.
10. I think these are my non-football thoughts of the week:

What are your thoughts on Peyton using Parcell's tactics on the rookies? I wonder if Reggie is fetching him water too?

Anybody else think 9 should come after 10 or is that just me?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Colo said:
From MMQB

8. I think Sean Payton needs to pay Bill Parcells some sort of royalty for stealing an idea and applying it in New Orleans. Rookies don't get the Saints' logo on the side of their practice helmets until they make the team. Same with Cowboys rookies and the Dallas star.

9. I think I hope Barry Bonds is stuck on 713 for the next 16 years.
10. I think these are my non-football thoughts of the week:

What are your thoughts on Peyton using Parcell's tactics on the rookies? I wonder if Reggie is fetching him water too?

Anybody else think 9 should come after 10 or is that just me?

I was wondering the same thing. I think Peyton would have to win a superbowl before he can get away with that though.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rack said:
I was wondering the same thing. I think Peyton would have to win a superbowl before he can get away with that though.
Not necessarily. Because he's a young coach, it may be one of the things he does to establish discipline. I read awhile ago that the vets like his approach. Seems they like his professional and detailed demeanor. He's very organized and is very exact in what he's demanding from them.

That said, right now, Bush needs to get off the training table to be useful. His hammy is still too tight to practice.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Colo said:

The star is a symbol of prestige. I don't think the Saints' rookie care whether there's a fleur de li on their helmets. They might even prefer not to have one.

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
I just want to say that this was one of our big boo boos letting this guy go although I understand we couldn't have kept him. Does anybody here realize he got a real qb and the best rb in the draft, this guy will be the one to turn the saints around, he can coach. I hope he will be available when BP leaves maybe Jerrah can steal him back. I do hope he is successful, thought he had a great off mind, shame he couldn't have hung around for TO, bet he could have come us with some wrinkles..

Colo

Rocky Mountain High
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
The star is a symbol of prestige. I don't think the Saints' rookie care whether there's a fleur de li on their helmets. They might even prefer not to have one.

Agreed. I can't really think of another team where this would seem as effective. Did Parcells do this with the Giants, Pats or Jets?

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Colo said:
Agreed. I can't really think of another team where this would seem as effective. Did Parcells do this with the Giants, Pats or Jets?

I guess a Bengals coach could say "no tiger stripes for you!" :laugh2:

But seriously, I don't think he's stealing the idea from Parcells. I've known high school coaches that did that.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Not necessarily. Because he's a young coach, it may be one of the things he does to establish discipline. I read awhile ago that the vets like his approach. Seems they like his professional and detailed demeanor. He's very organized and is very exact in what he's demanding from them.

That said, right now, Bush needs to get off the training table to be useful. His hammy is still too tight to practice.

I don't think discipline has anything to do with it. I think it's more to keep the higher draft picks from getting to full of themselves. Keep them grounded.

And I still think he has to actually do something before he can pull it off. I know if I were some rookie I'd be like "You're a rookie too, coach, get your own f'in water".

But if it were an established LEGEND of a coach like Bill Parcells I'd be like "Yes, SIR! How many icecubes would you like with your water, sir?"

pancakeman

Reaction score
Agreed. "Earning your star" makes a whole lot more sense (and sounds more impressive) than "earning your fleur-de-lis."

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:

My thoughts as well.

The symbols on the helmets -- as well as the level of prominence of the two franchises -- are like night and day.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
pancakeman said:
Agreed. "Earning your star" makes a whole lot more sense (and sounds more impressive) than "earning your fleur-de-lis."
:) This is an understatment.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Colo said:

how would the browns do this???

baj1dallas

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:

Gotta start somewhere Adam.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
This is a joke. No one should feel "honored" to wear the fleur de lis. Not all traditions are importable.

calico

Reaction score
I like the approach that he is bringing, but it does not have the same impact that wearing the star does.

Although, the star is not as special today as it used to be.

dthahn

The Doctor Is IN!
Reaction score
Rack said:
I don't think discipline has anything to do with it. I think it's more to keep the higher draft picks from getting to full of themselves. Keep them grounded.

And I still think he has to actually do something before he can pull it off. I know if I were some rookie I'd be like "You're a rookie too, coach, get your own f'in water".

But if it were an established LEGEND of a coach like Bill Parcells I'd be like "Yes, SIR! How many icecubes would you like with your water, sir?"

I couldn't disagree with you more. Since all rookies do not get the logo, it's designed to motivate all rookies, not just high draft picks. It's based on a pretty simple reward system that applies to the entire rookie class.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
BP is a tremendous mentor to young coaches. I worked under a mentor for about 4-5 years. Now, folks who work with me go to workshops he teaches and they come back and say "wow, he says all the same things you do!" Imitation (on my part) is the most sincere form of respect possible -- and Payton is giving Bill that respect in spades.