See you later Schultz

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I might be wrong, but I don’t think he actually went out of bounds on his own, I think he was knocked out by the two players that were tackling him.

No, that was a stupid play no doubt about it.

Staying in bounds was priority #1 and he blew it.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Schultz is a major safety blanket for Dak it seems. Rush looks more downfield for Brown, Lamb, Hendershot or even Ferguson. He will be too expensive to keep next year.

Robster8989

Reaction score
I always enjoy a thread filled with fans who seem to have a collective knowledge of football that equals an empty coke bottle.
I never understood the need for so many Cowboy fans to trash their own players. I'm all about being realistic, but why trash a really good player who's done nothing but good things for us.
Schultz is not an "elite" TE. I'll reserve that title for guys like Kelce and Pitts, maybe Andrews.
But he is near the top of the next group "really good TEs".
I do like what I see from Ferguson and Hendershot, particularly the blocking, but don't underestimate Schultz.
He is a really good pass catching TE (in a passing league). You need multiple TEs in this day and age anyways.
I feel the mistake was not signing him when we should have, last off season. Henry signed for 12APY, then Andrews for 14APY. Would have been a good time to lock him up long term. He definitely could not have asked for Andrews type money.
The fact is the salary cap has been in a covid funk, but is now set to rise significantly. It will be 300 mil in just under 4 tears, so you can't say "10 mil is a big contract for a TE." It;s not anymore. If a player signes a contract that is 5% of a 150 mil cap (7.5 per year), but another player signs a contract that is 5% of a 300 mil cap (15 mil per year), you can't say player 2 is overpaid. Their % of the cap is the same. I feel so many on this board are locked into the cap lingo of the past (like 20 mil for Amari Cooper is ridiculous). As the cap rises, Coopers % of the cap decreases. He is currrently #14 in WR pay, and by next year won't even be in the top 25.
The fact is the cap is exploding in the coming years with Covid done and the new TV deals.
Now, IMO, Schultz may asy demand as much as 16-18 mil per season, and that may be higher than I'm willing to go, but at 12 mil the guy would have been an asset. You can always trade assets too.
We do a poor job IMO of managing our assets. Like getting a 5th for Cooper. If you had received a 1st or 2nd, I understand moving him, but we paid a 1st for him, so IMO we mismanaged that asset.
Schultz will likely be elsewhere next offseason, it's just the economics of the league, but why does it make some fans feel better to trash him?

CoachD

Reaction score
Jake Ferguson was great tonight, even like what I saw from Hendershot. No need to waste cap on Schultz.
How about that play at the end of the game where he got out of bounds and gave the Giants 1:50 left on the clock you like that too??

Creeper

Reaction score
I never thought Schultz we be hard to replace. Ferguson can do what Schultz does and he can block in the running game. But the play caller has to learn how to use the two TEs. Hendershot is not a good blocker so he needs be used to create mismatches with LBs in the passing game. Hendershot reminds me a little of Jay Novacek.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Not sure what you are talking about?

You claimed the rookies both block better than Schultz. So which one threw Von Miller to the ground. Schultz certainly did. And since last night there was a very small sample size to make the determination these two block better than Schultz, I thought perhaps you might enlighten us all with a premiere pass rusher being thwarted by one or both of these players.

I'm not claiming Schultz is a great blocker. I'm just saying if we are to use such a small sample size, it cuts both ways.

Carson

Reaction score
I might be wrong, but I don’t think he actually went out of bounds on his own, I think he was knocked out by the two players that were tackling him.
That is true. But he will learn if he’s not going to get that first to get down in bounds and keep that clock rolling. Massive difference between 1:50 and 1:20.

Not a complaint at all as I love the fight, toughness and grit to say I got this.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I always enjoy a thread filled with fans who seem to have a collective knowledge of football that equals an empty coke bottle.
I want to know what you knowledgeable football fans see in him to warrant such a large contract?

Is it the fact that he is Dak's main checkdown?

His YPC are right at Jason Wittens end of career numbers!

Maybe it is his incredible blocking that you see.

Please enlighten us!

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I want to know what you knowledgeable football fans see in him to warrant such a large contract?

Is it the fact that he is Dak's main checkdown?

His YPC are right at Jason Wittens end of career numbers!

Maybe it is his incredible blocking that you see.

Please enlighten us!

1, I do not worry about contracts. Until the FO can actually cut corners on cap and produce a team that wins more than a beauty contest in a group of ugly people, I will not wring hands over the price tag. People who use this as an excuse are short sighted in my esteem.
2. Every QB has a check down receiver, or TE. Schultz has moved the chains during a time when doing so was suspect. He is reliable and seldom injured. He catches the ball in a tough area of the field.
3. Every circumstance is different. Fans are known for their comparisons, as if a player on team A gets traded, and the player becomes a stud, then team A missed out. It could very well could be Team A didn't utilize the player correctly. Who threw the ball to Witten? Who throws it to Schultz? Are you actually going to sit her and make that comparison on the player knowing one of the most prolific QBs in the passing game was the main man during the Witten era? And especially when you talk about the end of Witten's career stats. Who was throwing to him then?
4. Most here ignore the fact when Witten came into the league he was not a great blocker. Fact is he never really became a great blocker as so many project. And perhaps the fact he had so many pre-snap penalties trying to get out in front of a premiere rusher should be indicative of his talents. Schultz isn't a great blocker. But he has a skill set which makes him valuable.

Did you know the fumble he had last week was the FIRST LOST FUMBLE IN HIS CAREER?

This site tends to sell its own players short, especially when it comes to paying them. The thinking is save the money and go get an all-pro. But the fact is it is not anyone's money. But people surely act like you are paying the freight for the player.

aikemirv

Reaction score
1, I do not worry about contracts. Until the FO can actually cut corners on cap and produce a team that wins more than a beauty contest in a group of ugly people, I will not wring hands over the price tag. People who use this as an excuse are short sighted in my esteem.
2. Every QB has a check down receiver, or TE. Schultz has moved the chains during a time when doing so was suspect. He is reliable and seldom injured. He catches the ball in a tough area of the field.
3. Every circumstance is different. Fans are known for their comparisons, as if a player on team A gets traded, and the player becomes a stud, then team A missed out. It could very well could be Team A didn't utilize the player correctly. Who threw the ball to Witten? Who throws it to Schultz? Are you actually going to sit her and make that comparison on the player knowing one of the most prolific QBs in the passing game was the main man during the Witten era? And especially when you talk about the end of Witten's career stats. Who was throwing to him then?
4. Most here ignore the fact when Witten came into the league he was not a great blocker. Fact is he never really became a great blocker as so many project. And perhaps the fact he had so many pre-snap penalties trying to get out in front of a premiere rusher should be indicative of his talents. Schultz isn't a great blocker. But he has a skill set which makes him valuable.

Did you know the fumble he had last week was the FIRST LOST FUMBLE IN HIS CAREER?

This site tends to sell its own players short, especially when it comes to paying them. The thinking is save the money and go get an all-pro. But the fact is it is not anyone's money. But people surely act like you are paying the freight for the player.
I have no problem with anything you wrote there but his production does not warrant a huge payday, thus the title of the post "see you later Shultz". I don't know why that warrants the comment that fans don't know what they are talking about.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Shultz is ok but nothing special..average I’d say
He was #23 last year in the league in receptions, had 1 less reception than Lamb and scored 2 more TD's than Lamb.

Does that sound like "nothing special" or "average" to you?

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I have no problem with anything you wrote there but his production does not warrant a huge payday, thus the title of the post "see you later Shultz". I don't know why that warrants the comment that fans don't know what they are talking about.

I will quote myself,

Who threw the ball to Witten? Who throws it to Schultz? Are you actually going to sit her and make that comparison on the player knowing one of the most prolific QBs in the passing game was the main man during the Witten era? And especially when you talk about the end of Witten's career stats. Who was throwing to him then?

The fans look at the salary and come away with ragging on their own player. The self same fans who whine about Dak.

If they are right about Dak, and very well may be. Then holding Schultz to some mythical standard based on pay means they are either short sighted, or over value their opinions on football.

I read post after post lacking much insight into the nuances of this game. I am not Knute Rockne or Bill Belichik. But I can extrapolate that if a QB who is an area passer instead of a bull's eye passer throws to both the GOAT TE for Dallas and his replacement, and the stats seem to shrink for the GOAT, then maybe the problem isn't the hands where ball arrives, but how it arrives.

If that is the case, then blaming Schultz falls under the same questionable thinking as believing Quincy Carter was a capable QB .

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Jake Ferguson was great tonight, even like what I saw from Hendershot. No need to waste cap on Schultz.
True !
Shultz is the best receiver.
But the Rooks block better.
For their salaries, the Rooks are a better value.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
LOL you folks need to stop propping up players after a few select plays. One of those TEs continues to try to hurdle DBs and it ended up giving the Giants a second chance.

Same crap happened with CeeDee - short term memory. Lamb had a hot and cold game yesterday, but all that is remembered is the TD catch. He needs to get better and these young TEs need to play smarter before I start talking about who replaces who.

Praxit

Reaction score
..yep, after last night. Both these new ROOKS can do the job. Spread the money elsewhere.