Seeding question

endersdragon

Reaction score
I wonder why we don't get the 2 with a Bucs and Rams loss and a Cardinals win. We'll still have the best conference record right?
Cards would win the division and both the Bucs and Cards beat us. We need the Rams to win the West to get any tiebreakers.

Cas2800

Reaction score
What would need to happen for the Cowboys to host a second-round home game if they stay at the 4 seed and beat Arizona?

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
So the league did away with the 1&2 seeds getting a bye week? Is that correct? Everyone plays next week?

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Good chance we are playing AZ again, this time a fully stacked team. Here is hoping that the Cowboys show up with some interest to play and not go through the motions for the first three quarters and then wake up.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
What would need to happen for the Cowboys to host a second-round home game if they stay at the 4 seed and beat Arizona?

Depends on if we are the lowest seed after the WC round next week. If we are then we are headed to GB. If not, then we are staying home - I think, I hope.

silvernblu

Reaction score
I wonder why we don't get the 2 with a Bucs and Rams loss and a Cardinals win. We'll still have the best conference record right?
If we are tied with two teams we lost to head to head, we lose before it goes to conference record.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Cards would win the division and both the Bucs and Cards beat us. We need the Rams to win the West to get any tiebreakers.
If the Buccaneers and Rams lose, while the Cardinals win, everyone including us would end up with a 12-5 record.

Yes, the Cardinals would win the NFC West, but since 3 or more teams end up tied at 12-5 (even if we lost to both the Bucs and Cards), wouldn't a 3 way tie with same overall record highest playoff seeding (#2 seed) go to the team with the best NFC Conference record...which would be the Cowboys?

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score

The 2nd and 3rd seeds (TB and LAR, in your scenario) would have to lose on wild-card weekend for the Cowboys to host a divisional round playoff game after beating Arizona.

silvernblu

Reaction score
Are you sure? I thought that head-to-head only pertains to 2 teams having the same record, not 3?
Yes I’m sure

Conference Tiebreakers
  1. Head-to-Head Sweep ▼less
    Each team plays its non-divisional opponents either zero or one times. A team wins this tiebreaker if it plays all of the tiebreaker teams and wins (no ties) every such game. Likewise a team loses this tiebreaker if it plays all of the tiebreaker teams and loses (no ties) every such game.

2. Conference Record ►more
  3. Common Games ►more
  4. Strength of Victory ►more
  5. Strength of Schedule ►more
  6. Points Scored/Allowed Combined Ranking - Conference Teams ►more
  7. Points Scored/Allowed Combined Ranking - All Teams ►more
  8. Points Differential - Conference Games
  9. Points Differential - All Games
  10. Touchdown Differential - All Games
  11. Coin Flip

Last edited:

Mannix

Reaction score
Will Rodgers take any snaps today? It only takes one play to tear an ACL. ***Fingers crossed***

endersdragon

Reaction score
If the Buccaneers and Rams lose, while the Cardinals win, everyone including us would end up with a 12-5 record.

Yes, the Cardinals would win the NFC West, but since 3 or more teams end up tied at 12-5 (even if we lost to both the Bucs and Cards), wouldn't a 3 way tie with same overall record highest playoff seeding (#2 seed) go to the team with the best NFC Conference record...which would be the Cowboys?
In that scenario only the top team in each division is added to the tiebreaker scenario.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
I don’t want Arizona. They beat us up with a whole bunch of players out. At full strength I don’t think we beat them.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
So if we get stuck with the 4th seed, we play whoever finishes runner up in the West, correct? And under what scenario would we play Philly?
We could play Philly if we end up with the 2 seed. At the 4 seed, we play whoever ends up with the 5 seed... that's most likely the Cards.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yep. I'd actually rather play the Rams over the Cards or 49ers. I know the Rams are good, but their QB is about as mobile as my grandmother was at 90, and Stafford like to give out donations, gifts!
It’s tough because I’d much rather face Stafford than Murray. But McVey is the one who scares me….much rather face a team lead by Kingsbury….so I don’t know…..i saw McVey beat us with a Goff led team…that being said….give me Stafford….

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don’t want Arizona. They beat us up with a whole bunch of players out. At full strength I don’t think we beat them.
Don’t be scared of them. They beat us when the Cowboys came out sloppy. There is no team the Cowboys should fear if they play their game.