CFZ Seems like a great year to be “all in”

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's still PHL and SF in the way and they see the same opportunity as the Cowboys do and SF has already made a move on the DL. Make their strength stronger. And I wouldn't discount DET.

This season will come down to what it always seems to, the number of starters and games they miss. Quality depth is the toughest challenge all of these GM's face.
I still feel the Cowboys have not addressed their D’s biggest weakness- their inability to stop the run consistently. Keeping D Wilson and LVE won‘t upgrade that. We need some immediate help at interior DL and another LB.

kskboys

Reaction score
Right…which is why I don’t clamor for Jerry to start trading every draft pick and start signing everyone.

Although signing a top FA every dozen years or so doesn’t seem like much to ask.

In theory, their overall strategy is solid. The problem is they cannot afford to bust picks, and they do.

If guys like Hill, Gallimore, Joseph, Wright and Tolbert played in line with their draft status….this team would be absolutely SET right now.

Problem is they don’t seem to want to realize that picks don’t anyways pan out.
And the bigger problem is that both their player and position evaluations are terrible. While we were signing McCoy and Poe and Haha, Cincy signed Reader and Philly signed Hargrave. Reader n Hargrave both got 13 mil/season, less than what we spent on JAGs.

And this is why Jerry's drafting is so bad. He doesn't look to the future. Philly traded up for monstrous Jordan Davis even though they had Hargrave entrenched at NT. Why? Because now, in his 2nd year, they have him to take over for the departed Hargrave.

Jerry tried the big FA route, and he failed miserably. Due to extremely bad player evaluation. And I mean it's bad. Brandon Carr, MO, McCoy, Poe. And I bet you a pumpernickel loaf that Jerry has no idea why these players failed. Because, as he himself said, he refuses to do his homework, watching tape, studying players, evaluating the experts' scouting reports.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I can't think of another season that the NFC was this good for the taking. They are absolute fools if they don't see this and make the necessary moves to actually make a valiant effort.

I do like some of the moves so far, but there is still much to do. As stated already in this thread, we need to stop the run. Address that and this defense has major potential.

kskboys

Reaction score
I can't think of another season that the NFC was this good for the taking. They are absolute fools if they don't see this and make the necessary moves to actually make a valiant effort.

I do like some of the moves so far, but there is still much to do. As stated already in this thread, we need to stop the run. Address that and this defense has major potential.
Yes, but to take over, you must have a great DLine to stymie Hurts. And that starts in the middle. We have yet to fill that void.

fivetwos

Reaction score
And the bigger problem is that both their player and position evaluations are terrible. While we were signing McCoy and Poe and Haha, Cincy signed Reader and Philly signed Hargrave. Reader n Hargrave both got 13 mil/season, less than what we spent on JAGs.

And this is why Jerry's drafting is so bad. He doesn't look to the future. Philly traded up for monstrous Jordan Davis even though they had Hargrave entrenched at NT. Why? Because now, in his 2nd year, they have him to take over for the departed Hargrave.

Jerry tried the big FA route, and he failed miserably. Due to extremely bad player evaluation. And I mean it's bad. Brandon Carr, MO, McCoy, Poe. And I bet you a pumpernickel loaf that Jerry has no idea why these players failed. Because, as he himself said, he refuses to do his homework, watching tape, studying players, evaluating the experts' scouting reports.
Well yes, can’t think ahead in the draft when you’re relying on it to plug an immediate starting spot.

In general, they just count way too much on mid round picks to develop into something useful. By the time they do, IF they do…you have to pay them.

Londonboy

Reaction score
With the retirement (at least as of this moment) of Tom Brady and the move of Aaron Rodgers to the jets, going into 2023 the NFC is more wide open than any season in recent memory. In my opinion, however anyone ranks the remaining QBs in the NFC, it’s fairly clear that the Cowboys have a wider lane to at least go further than they’ve gone in the last 27 seasons. This team is closer to competing for a championship than in recent years.

Seems like a great year to go “all in”, right?

So far this off-season, the Cowboys FO has done a much better job of being active. The trade for Stephon Gilmore, the restructuring of multiple big contracts to clear space, the release of Zeke, the tag being placed on Tony Pollard are all good moves IMO. It’s been good to see some of these moves happen this off-season.

Now in the rest of the off-season, we have the opportunity to see what “going for it“ can really mean. We still need major upgrades to interior DL, probably another LB, a WR, drafted RBs, and some additional help in the OL.

This off-season is off to a better start than any in recent years. But much work remains. Time to GO FOR IT! Time to make even more bold moves to get better!
All good points Bob, though I feel compelled to point out that it's not been opposing QB's that have killed us in the playoffs Our last 3 trips, in a year when NFC passing O's look weaker than they have in years, Our only roster upgrade so far is a veteran CB, still, it's early days yet.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The strength of this team has clearly moved from offense to defense. There are a few more important moves that are needed to make them elite. Get a great DT and a run stopping ML, even with LVE extended

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I called it before last season that this season would be the year to go all in.

Last season the defense was getting primed but needed a little more seasoning for the young guys to gel. Now they have a bit more seasoning, a chip on their shoulder and an influx of veteran talent, and experience.

This season will be looked back on in ten years as either the year we finally did it our way, or the season we let our best chance in the last 27 years get away over the cost of a solid DT and/or WR.

This is your chance Jerry!

kskboys

Reaction score
Well yes, can’t think ahead in the draft when you’re relying on it to plug an immediate starting spot.

In general, they just count way too much on mid round picks to develop into something useful. By the time they do, IF they do…you have to pay them.
And those holes that need to be plugged are from previous bad drafting.

The drafting of Joseph, Jaylon, and Taco are still haunting us. You just pay so dearly for wiffing on 1st/2nd round picks.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
With the retirement (at least as of this moment) of Tom Brady and the move of Aaron Rodgers to the jets, going into 2023 the NFC is more wide open than any season in recent memory. In my opinion, however anyone ranks the remaining QBs in the NFC, it’s fairly clear that the Cowboys have a wider lane to at least go further than they’ve gone in the last 27 seasons. This team is closer to competing for a championship than in recent years.

Seems like a great year to go “all in”, right?

So far this off-season, the Cowboys FO has done a much better job of being active. The trade for Stephon Gilmore, the restructuring of multiple big contracts to clear space, the release of Zeke, the tag being placed on Tony Pollard are all good moves IMO. It’s been good to see some of these moves happen this off-season.

Now in the rest of the off-season, we have the opportunity to see what “going for it“ can really mean. We still need major upgrades to interior DL, probably another LB, a WR, drafted RBs, and some additional help in the OL.

This off-season is off to a better start than any in recent years. But much work remains. Time to GO FOR IT! Time to make even more bold moves to get better!
Agree completely! Love the start which is something I haven’t said in years and would love for them to build on it and just go for it. They don’t even need to go overboard within the way the NFC is right now. Fill in WR and interior D in FA and draft, same with a second RB and Oline and then what’s left in draft should be open

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
The NFC was wide open this year…. TB was a joke. SF was led by a rookie QB who just started about 6 games ago. Philly got gifted plant of calls against that SF team down to a 12th string QB. Our QB play is what stopped us and constantly stops us.
Philly got like 3 calls on one drive. Stop it. SF proved they were better than us and just picked up the best FA on the market adding to the already #1 D. We were clearly the 3rd best team in the NFC last year.

fivetwos

Reaction score
And those holes that need to be plugged are from previous bad drafting.

The drafting of Joseph, Jaylon, and Taco are still haunting us. You just pay so dearly for wiffing on 1st/2nd round picks.
They’ve been good in the first since Taco…but that can also mean they are due to bust one. Everyone does, especially when it’s late in the round.

Even the GOAT Belichick has had many bad draft picks. It happens. It’s such an inexact science. Wonderful when it pays off, but man it’s like relying on hitting a lottery to pay the bills.

75boyz

Reaction score
I believe all of this to be true Bob but can't help remembering "the" Jerry Jones proclaimed advantage at QB and then the result of that 49er playoff game.
I honestly don't believe Moore was the problem and believe McCarthy will find this out.

I do not believe Dak can beat 3-4 playoff teams regardless of playcaller/coach OR personnel support.

And I dont care if lesser QBs from the past got on a run or were carried by a hot playoff team. I do not believe Dak Prescott is capable of beating 3 -4 post season squads regardless.

cnuball21

Reaction score
We should’ve started this process as soon as we had Cooper and Lamb in a rookie deal.

But better late than never.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So what players are out here that can come in and be an impact.

Ones that will cost a lot, as well, ones that fit more into their budget that can contribute. Including our own FA's?
What players can be signed, realistically?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I called it before last season that this season would be the year to go all in.

Last season the defense was getting primed but needed a little more seasoning for the young guys to gel. Now they have a bit more seasoning, a chip on their shoulder and an influx of veteran talent, and experience.

This season will be looked back on in ten years as either the year we finally did it our way, or the season we let our best chance in the last 27 years get away over the cost of a solid DT and/or WR.

This is your chance Jerry!
Yep. We certainly have an opportunity to have a great off-season and year. But we still need some upgrades. Keeping LVE and Wilson are ok moves. The problem is they don’t make us BETTER. We know what those guys are. Decent, good players. But they don’t make us better in our ability to stop the run.