CFZ Seems like a great year to be “all in”

kskboys

Reaction score
Of course not. My point was that for the D to get to 6th overall means that the run defense can't be poor, if it was it would drag the entire defense down to a lower ranking than 6th, something like middle of the pack.

"Pretty good" was probably not a good way to say it, without any other rating. Let's say the rankings would be something like dominating, excellent, pretty good, average, near average, below average and poor. That puts the Dallas D overall as 3rd of 7, which I think is a fair assessment...
DEs look decent, DTs are almost terrible. Overall rating on a 10 point scale: 6, if Hankins comes back. 4.5 w/o him.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
DEs look decent, DTs are almost terrible. Overall rating on a 10 point scale: 6, if Hankins comes back. 4.5 w/o him.
I don't agree, if the DTs were that bad, they would drag the overall defense down so far they'd never get stats like below:

Total yards given up Dallas was 13th.
Yards per play Dallas was 7th.
Take aways Dallas was 1st.
Rushing yards per attempt Dallas was 16th.
Percentage of drives ending in opponent's score, Dallas was 8th.

Lastly going 12-5 with such terrible DTs would be at best a freak occurrence, I just don't see that was the case.

But you're certainly entitled to your opinion....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
@Bobhaze, I 100% agree it's the perfect time to go "all-in". I like the moves made by the front office but I expect a few more and an A++ draft.
Problem is there are 31 other teams competing for the same FAs and draftees, as well as that pesky cap, don't think what you expect is possible.

Nice dream though, no problem with that!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Problem is there are 31 other teams competing for the same FAs and draftees, as well as that pesky cap, don't think what you expect is possible.

Nice dream though, no problem with that!
You're talking like there is a level playing field for all 32 teams. No sir, the Cowboys have an advantage over most other teams just by being the Dallas Cowboys.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's just so frickin' obvious.

However, Jerry completely does not understand what topnotch DTs do for a team.

You know that outside run that DLaw didn't contain? Why didn't he contain it? Because he was forced to collapse inside to guard the middle. THINK people, THINK.
If the Cowboys FO finally addresses the interior DL and seriously upgrade at that position, we will know they have truly learned something. So far, as good as our off-season has been, the IDL remains a big need.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't agree, if the DTs were that bad, they would drag the overall defense down so far they'd never get stats like below:

Lastly going 12-5 with such terrible DTs would be at best a freak occurrence, I just don't see that was the case.

They do drag down the D.

Rushing: Dallas was 22nd.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I will say this ...... They better make sure they have a good backup ..... Dak has missed multiple games the last few years.

cnuball21

Reaction score
They do drag down the D.

Rushing: Dallas was 22nd.
I think you’re over exaggerating the run D. I just looked at every game we had against a big name runner and none had 100+ yards AND they played well in the playoffs.

I’d love to add some stud DTs but just getting Hankins back, which we will, and I think the run D is plenty good enough.

It’s nowhere near the unit that got gashed by the Rams and 49ers in the playoffs.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If the Cowboys FO finally addresses the interior DL and seriously upgrade at that position, we will know they have truly learned something. So far, as good as our off-season has been, the IDL remains a big need.
Well, we're used to that....

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
With the retirement (at least as of this moment) of Tom Brady and the move of Aaron Rodgers to the jets, going into 2023 the NFC is more wide open than any season in recent memory. In my opinion, however anyone ranks the remaining QBs in the NFC, it’s fairly clear that the Cowboys have a wider lane to at least go further than they’ve gone in the last 27 seasons. This team is closer to competing for a championship than in recent years.

Seems like a great year to go “all in”, right?

So far this off-season, the Cowboys FO has done a much better job of being active. The trade for Stephon Gilmore, the restructuring of multiple big contracts to clear space, the release of Zeke, the tag being placed on Tony Pollard are all good moves IMO. It’s been good to see some of these moves happen this off-season.

Now in the rest of the off-season, we have the opportunity to see what “going for it“ can really mean. We still need major upgrades to interior DL, probably another LB, a WR, drafted RBs, and some additional help in the OL.

This off-season is off to a better start than any in recent years. But much work remains. Time to GO FOR IT! Time to make even more bold moves to get better!
I agree. Imo, I think it hinges on the RBs. Should be a fun journey.

conner01

Reaction score
Lots of talk about adding a WR, and I get it, but I'm not thrilled about the OL depth at all. We're going to need it, because we always do.

Sounds easy to put Tyron back at LT and slide Tyler inside, but do we really want to count on Tyron being healthy? I want a starting guard and leave Tyler at LT. Tyron may have to begin the year at RT with Steele coming off an ACL, and I'd prefer Tyron to be the swing guy at this point in his career. I don't want to hear about 41 year old Peters coming off a hip injury. Dude was great. Now he's old. Move on.
I too would rather have Tyron as swing
Keep him healthy till we need him
Don’t think that’s the way they see it but to me that’s the right move
Draft a guard and plug him in and let him develop and Tyler develop at tackle

conner01

Reaction score

The whole narrative out run D is terrible is over blown. They are avg
That’s not to say I wouldn’t like it to be better but we have the draft and it very well could get better. I don’t see them spending a first round pick on a true NT at all. It isn’t logical to spend a premium picks on a guy who’s gonna be on the field a third of the snaps. I’d bring back Hankins, maybe draft a more pure NT later in the draft. But a big part of the lack of dominance on run D is Quinn values disrupting the passing game over stuffing the run

kskboys

Reaction score
I think you’re over exaggerating the run D. I just looked at every game we had against a big name runner and none had 100+ yards AND they played well in the playoffs.

I’d love to add some stud DTs but just getting Hankins back, which we will, and I think the run D is plenty good enough.

It’s nowhere near the unit that got gashed by the Rams and 49ers in the playoffs.
True. However, they were still 22nd. I think you're overexaggerating how good the run D is.

Your last sentence is truth.

Plenty good enough? Only if we have Hankins or Ashawn or a legit NT.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The whole narrative out run D is terrible is over blown. They are avg
That’s not to say I wouldn’t like it to be better but we have the draft and it very well could get better. I don’t see them spending a first round pick on a true NT at all. It isn’t logical to spend a premium picks on a guy who’s gonna be on the field a third of the snaps. I’d bring back Hankins, maybe draft a more pure NT later in the draft. But a big part of the lack of dominance on run D is Quinn values disrupting the passing game over stuffing the run
Part of the reason why Quinn has that strategy is they don’t have the horses up front on the DL to stop the run as well as a team who is trying to contend must be able to do. We have a great pass rush. It’s been our biggest strength. But unless this team is ahead, it’s hard to utilize the pass rush as much as we would like.

When teams get a touchdown lead on us, not being able to stop the run is a real problem. Yeah, we “improved” to what- 20th against the run last year? Guess that’s ok to win a playoff spot. Usually not enough to win multiple playoff games.

IMO, if we are really serious about contending for a championship, we must get better on the interior DL. We’ve known this for years. Maybe the FO will get that revelation this year.