Seems to be that a lot of people want to retain Garrett. state your case

romonumberone

Reaction score
I think Garrett is a great person. I thought he was a total wimp... until I watched All Or Nothing.... he actually possessed a good balance of intensity and kindness. The clapping sucks.... but there is some science & psychology behind it. As far as his in game situations they have been okay. Sometimes he would go for it on 4th down this year.... like his own 18 yard line and I would be cringing.... but yet it worked out for him. He gets no credit when the team wins.... but all the blame when they lose. The media has pounced on him for being the village idiot because it makes good ratings. Fake news. Outside of football he is incredibly smart. He seems very organized, articulate. concise. He works his butt off and lives and eats and breathes Dallas Cowboys football. He has had a large role in bringing in more talent to the organization. The players love him and would take a bullet for him.

My only complaint is that the players do not fear him.... which in part that might be the owner's fault. Oh and I will never ever forgive him for stabbing Romo in the back. Anyways back to playing devils advocate.... He puts up with all of Jerry's stuff and his able to manage and control that to a very good degree. A lot of coaches would not be able to deal with that and all the drama that goes with coaching America's Team.

In a different thread they asked do the Cowboys read this message board.... I know for a fact that they do not. If they did they would realize that I am the man for the job. Just in case they do... Jerry I am prepared to move my family to Texas at either a 3 year contract for 1.5 million Or a 1 year deal for $700,000.... anything less than it does not make any sense for me to leave WA and change careers.

Everyone wants Garrett gone he has become the convenient fall guy scapegoat. He does not play the game. He does not catch the ball. He does not throw the football. He does not make the tackles. If you want my honest opinion I think Jerry feels like the players let Garrett down and betrayed Jason Garrett. If he has to fire Garrett. It will be "Garrett is a great coach. But after 10 years his message was no longer being heard. I am very disappointed in the players. But I cannot overhaul the whole team. Whoever the next head coach is I expect them to play better. Etc."

There is also something to be said for continuity. Next year when they go 8-8 the excuse will be all the players had to learn a whole new system. I do not understand the infatuation with a lot of the college coaches. They coach at programs that it is incredibly easy to win 10-11 games a year. Do you think Temple will really beat Oklahoma? They have such a drastic advantage in player talent, & recruiting. Saban was a joke in the NFL. At Alabama he is a legend. So be careful what you wish for. Was Garrett as great as Jimmy, or Landry, or Parcells? No.... But he was a lot better than Gailey, Campo, etc.

There is such a negative bias against Garrett you need look no further than play calling. A play works than Kellen called the play. If it does not work than Garrett must have interfered. Crazy theories. Garrett twice in his 10 years won coach of the year. Did he suddenly get stupid? He took over a 1-7 team and went 5-3. If Roy Williams knew how to fall down after securing the 1st down than it would have been 6-2. Garrett wanted Dez to stay. Garrett wanted Maher gone a long time ago. Other powers that be made the decisions for only Garrett to take the blame.

NewCoach

Reaction score
I think Garrett is a great person. I thought he was a total wimp... until I watched All Or Nothing.... he actually possessed a good balance of intensity and kindness. The clapping sucks.... but there is some science & psychology behind it. As far as his in game situations they have been okay. Sometimes he would go for it on 4th down this year.... like his own 18 yard line and I would be cringing.... but yet it worked out for him. He gets no credit when the team wins.... but all the blame when they lose. The media has pounced on him for being the village idiot because it makes good ratings. Fake news. Outside of football he is incredibly smart. He seems very organized, articulate. concise. He works his butt off and lives and eats and breathes Dallas Cowboys football. He has had a large role in bringing in more talent to the organization. The players love him and would take a bullet for him.

My only complaint is that the players do not fear him.... which in part that might be the owner's fault. Oh and I will never ever forgive him for stabbing Romo in the back. Anyways back to playing devils advocate.... He puts up with all of Jerry's stuff and his able to manage and control that to a very good degree. A lot of coaches would not be able to deal with that and all the drama that goes with coaching America's Team.

In a different thread they asked do the Cowboys read this message board.... I know for a fact that they do not. If they did they would realize that I am the man for the job. Just in case they do... Jerry I am prepared to move my family to Texas at either a 3 year contract for 1.5 million Or a 1 year deal for $700,000.... anything less than it does not make any sense for me to leave WA and change careers.

Everyone wants Garrett gone he has become the convenient fall guy scapegoat. He does not play the game. He does not catch the ball. He does not throw the football. He does not make the tackles. If you want my honest opinion I think Jerry feels like the players let Garrett down and betrayed Jason Garrett. If he has to fire Garrett. It will be "Garrett is a great coach. But after 10 years his message was no longer being heard. I am very disappointed in the players. But I cannot overhaul the whole team. Whoever the next head coach is I expect them to play better. Etc."

There is also something to be said for continuity. Next year when they go 8-8 the excuse will be all the players had to learn a whole new system. I do not understand the infatuation with a lot of the college coaches. They coach at programs that it is incredibly easy to win 10-11 games a year. Do you think Temple will really beat Oklahoma? They have such a drastic advantage in player talent, & recruiting. Saban was a joke in the NFL. At Alabama he is a legend. So be careful what you wish for. Was Garrett as great as Jimmy, or Landry, or Parcells? No.... But he was a lot better than Gailey, Campo, etc.

There is such a negative bias against Garrett you need look no further than play calling. A play works than Kellen called the play. If it does not work than Garrett must have interfered. Crazy theories. Garrett twice in his 10 years won coach of the year. Did he suddenly get stupid? He took over a 1-7 team and went 5-3. If Roy Williams knew how to fall down after securing the 1st down than it would have been 6-2. Garrett wanted Dez to stay. Garrett wanted Maher gone a long time ago. Other powers that be made the decisions for only Garrett to take the blame.

Well, Garrett doesn't interfere with the offense. But he's still to blame when things don't work, because if he weren't so incompetent as a play caller himself, he would be calling the plays, and calling good ones.

The question to ask is, what does he bring to the table? What does he do? He can't call plays, he can't game plan.

When has this team ever overachieved with him? When did he lose his starting QB and take Teddy Bridgewater and roll? When did he lose Tom Brady to a suspension and go 3-1, or to a knee injury and go 11-5? When did he go 5-1 with Koy Detmer and A.J. Feely, or turn Alex Smith into a Pro Bowl QB?

When has he assembled a staff and developed his own coaching tree?

All these adjectives some people ascribe to him are meaningless. Where are the tangible things he can and has done?

kramskoi

Reaction score
Well, Garrett doesn't interfere with the offense. But he's still to blame when things don't work, because if he weren't so incompetent as a play caller himself, he would be calling the plays, and calling good ones.

The question to ask is, what does he bring to the table? What does he do? He can't call plays, he can't game plan.

When has this team ever overachieved with him? When did he lose his starting QB and take Teddy Bridgewater and roll? When did he lose Tom Brady to a suspension and go 3-1, or to a knee injury and go 11-5? When did he go 5-1 with Koy Detmer and A.J. Feely, or turn Alex Smith into a Pro Bowl QB?

When has he assembled a staff and developed his own coaching tree?

All these adjectives some people ascribe to him are meaningless. Where are the tangible things he can and has done?
Good points here. I think the excuses for Garrett have reached an end. He has had a pro-bowl level offensive line and a top flight ground game since the 2014 season. This year the Dallas offense ended the year ranked #1 in yardage...#2 in Football Outsiders offensive index, with the best offense in the NFC. I would say that the offense they fielded this year (with both Cooper and Gallup passing 1,000 yds) was the best I've seen since '93, '07 and '14. FAR too much talent on the offensive side of the ball to have such a high number of slow starts and garbage time surges...on the way to 8-8 and losing the division to a team with a walking MASH unit on offense.

A lot of good, decent, smart and dedicated people fail...many until they finally succeed. What's clear after 10 years is that for whatever reasons, the Dallas Cowboys continue to be irrelevant as a playoff team...and now inconsistency seems to be getting uglier and uglier. They had 5 or 6 chances to win the NFC East and they failed all of them...two of them arguably (directly) caused by Garrett's deficiencies in situational awareness, clock management, game-planning and/or adjustments. Just ONE more win and they would have succeeded in spite of a lackluster season. Now do you think Garrett didn't account for at least one loss this year?

Last edited:

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Ummmmm Few things here.
- Dilfer won a SB with the Ravens
- Garrett is a coach / Dilfer a player
- Brad Johnson was the qb of the bucs team that had probably a top 15 all time D.
- coincidentally- Dilfer won with the Ravens with a D that was considered top 5 all time.

Why are you responding to me here?

Big_D

Reaction score
If Garrett's not gone, I'm gone.

It's as simple as that. I'm done wasting my time supporting a system that is clearly broken.

yup this the truth! There’s no way I’m sitting through another season with him clapping on the sidelines! And Jerry selling fool’s gold! It just tells you what you already knew a long time ago..the owner doesn’t care about winning!

Rayman70

Reaction score
its a process??? is that reason enough? Asking for a group of friends.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
With Jerry calling the shots, anything can happen. Am I an advocate of retaining JG? :omg:
No but don't be surprised if Jerry talks him into taking a lesser position with the team! :angry:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the process is over, what would we all do? I personally cannot envision a world where the process is over. I'm hooked. If Garret moves to another team, I gotta go with him to follow the new process.

CWR

Reaction score
If the process is over, what would we all do? I personally cannot envision a world where the process is over. I'm hooked. If Garret moves to another team, I gotta go with him to follow the new process.

If its over Ill just take it a day at a time and try to stack good days on top of good days. Strong chance I follow JG to his new team as well.

Last edited:

dfense

Reaction score
I don't think Garrett is the teams biggest problem. Having said that, his time was up. He had built a great team that peaked 5 or 6 years ago. Then injuries and stuff set in and that's how it goes. It wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to go. Until Jerrah changes, every coach will not get the full respect of the players.