Seen something strange today

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Ok so i know nothing about hunting or deer etc. This morning, about a hour ago, i seen something i never seen before while doing my miles.

I was walking past a Jewish Cemetery like i always do and out of no where i see a dead deer hanging from the spike on top of the gate. So i first thought the deer tried to jump it from fear and got caught in the spike, but this is a tall gate, can deer jump that high (about 6 feet high)? I'm guessing no.

Next thing i noticed is that there is no blood anywhere on or around the deer. Now i'm thinking it was a fake deer but it looked very real. I have a pic on my phone not sure how to post it here.

So anyway if the deer is real, how did it get there and why was there no blood, why on Christmas morning?

Was this a sort of hate crime and people killed the deer drained the blood and hung it on this gate?

Was a crazy sight to see.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ok so i know nothing about hunting or deer etc. This morning, about a hour ago, i seen something i never seen before while doing my miles.

I was walking past a Jewish Cemetery like i always do and out of no where i see a dead deer hanging from the spike on top of the gate. So i first thought the deer tried to jump it from fear and got caught in the spike, but this is a tall gate, can deer jump that high (about 6 feet high)? I'm guessing no.

Next thing i noticed is that there is no blood anywhere on or around the deer. Now i'm thinking it was a fake deer but it looked very real. I have a pic on my phone not sure how to post it here.

So anyway if the deer is real, how did it get there and why was there no blood, why on Christmas morning?

Was this a sort of hate crime and people killed the deer drained the blood and hung it on this gate?

Was a crazy sight to see.
In answer to your first question, deer can easily jump 8 feet.

To post a pic here, you can post it to somewhere with a URL, such as FB or Imgur (free), then copy and paste the URL here.

As for the rest, no idea....unless it was a sick flying reindeer joke.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
49101965_343125159819479_2806407476033880064_o.jpg
photo.php

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I freed a doe once that was hanging from a fence like that. Got its rear leg caught up in the wire mesh. When I came across it there were three dogs harassing it. That fence was six feet tall.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I freed a doe once that was hanging from a fence like that. Got its rear leg caught up in the wire mesh. When I came across it there were three dogs harassing it. That fence was six feet tall.
Must've been tricky to do that without getting kicked.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Must've been tricky to do that without getting kicked.
She was hanging by her back leg with one front hoove barely scraping the ground. I chased the dogs off and got her in a bear hug lifting her up while my wife tried to get the wire unwrapped. That wasn't working so I sent my wife up to the house to get something to cut it with. That did the trick but her leg was completely dislocated. My wife went back to the house to call someone we knew who rehabbed injured wildlife and the game warden in case it came down to me taking care of it myself.

I sat with her petting her and talking to her. Suddenly she pulled herself a few feet using her front legs. I moved with her and kept on with what I was doing. She did it again and so did I. One more time then she popped up and ran off twenty feet or so. She stopped and gave me a long look and bounded off.

She never tried to kick me or bite me. I think she understood I was trying to help her.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
She was hanging by her back leg with one front hoove barely scraping the ground. I chased the dogs off and got her in a bear hug lifting her up while my wife tried to get the wire unwrapped. That wasn't working so I sent my wife up to the house to get something to cut it with. That did the trick but her leg was completely dislocated. My wife went back to the house to call someone we knew who rehabbed injured wildlife and the game warden in case it came down to me taking care of it myself.

I sat with her petting her and talking to her. Suddenly she pulled herself a few feet using her front legs. I moved with her and kept on with what I was doing. She did it again and so did I. One more time then she popped up and ran off twenty feet or so. She stopped and gave me a long look and bounded off.

She never tried to kick me or bite me. I think she understood I was trying to help her.
Well that's an awesome experience! I hope she survived with no internal injuries.

GMO415

Reaction score
looks like a lot of fresh footprints leading up to the deer, and they appear to be deeper closest to said deer. Not sure if they are from on-lookers or if some people planted the deer there.

kskboys

Reaction score

She was most likely worn out from fighting. When deer get caught in a fence, they struggle and struggle and struggle until they are completely worn out. Those movements were simply her still fighting.

Deer aren't capable of realizing you were helping her, although most have watched Bambi many times and desperately want to believe so. In real life, the buck would've killed or ignored Bambi.

kskboys

Reaction score
Concerning the pic: Looks real. Looks like deer tried to jump the fence and didn't make it. So it struggled and struggled and finally died. You can see the eyes are sunk in, so prolly been dead a day or so.

It's also possible someone found it lying on the road dead and hung it there as a joke.

I once saw a deer chased by a vehicle jump over a deer proof fence, which is around 10 foot high!!!