Seen something strange today

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Concerning the pic: Looks real. Looks like deer tried to jump the fence and didn't make it. So it struggled and struggled and finally died. You can see the eyes are sunk in, so prolly been dead a day or so.

It's also possible someone found it lying on the road dead and hung it there as a joke.

I once saw a deer chased by a vehicle jump over a deer proof fence, which is around 10 foot high!!!
That'd be a lot of work to carry a dead deer over, then lift it up onto the fence. I'm sure it just didn't see, or misjudged the fence.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
She was most likely worn out from fighting. When deer get caught in a fence, they struggle and struggle and struggle until they are completely worn out. Those movements were simply her still fighting.

Deer aren't capable of realizing you were helping her, although most have watched Bambi many times and desperately want to believe so. In real life, the buck would've killed or ignored Bambi.

Well, I have been hunting and studying deer for forty years or so. I'm no expert but I do have some experience.

Her leg was fully dislocated. Of course her attempts to get away were just that, I never said she felt blissfully safe and secure in the comfort of my arms. After a few tries she managed to get to her feet and her leg was pulled back in place and she bounded off normally.

I don't think you give animals enough credit. They absolutely can determine threat vs non-threat. Her demeanor and actions changed considerably from how she was reacting to the dogs and then to me after I chased them off and presented a quiet and submissive attitude and posture towards her. She was obviously still stressed of course but did nothing to try and fight me off like she had been the dogs.

I've been fortunate to have lived here on a nice little piece in the woods for twenty years now. I have had countless encounters with the deer that include this area in their range. Many times the same does year after year during birthing season.

There is no doubt in my mind that they can and do identify threats vs non-threat and you can influence that perception by how you react to them.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well, I have been hunting and studying deer for forty years or so. I'm no expert but I do have some experience.

Her leg was fully dislocated. Of course her attempts to get away were just that, I never said she felt blissfully safe and secure in the comfort of my arms. After a few tries she managed to get to her feet and her leg was pulled back in place and she bounded off normally.

I don't think you give animals enough credit. They absolutely can determine threat vs non-threat. Her demeanor and actions changed considerably from how she was reacting to the dogs and then to me after I chased them off and presented a quiet and submissive attitude and posture towards her. She was obviously still stressed of course but did nothing to try and fight me off like she had been the dogs.

I've been fortunate to have lived here on a nice little piece in the woods for twenty years now. I have had countless encounters with the deer that include this area in their range. Many times the same does year after year during birthing season.

There is no doubt in my mind that they can and do identify threats vs non-threat and you can influence that perception by how you react to them.
Threat vs non-threat, possibly. However, when in pain, it's doubtful whether that would kick in.

Deer develop instincts. They do get to where they know whether a person is a threat or not. However, I don't believe she "knew" you were trying to help her. The odds of that being the case are so low they're not even worth mentioning.

Let's see, I'm 54, started deer hunting when I was 9, so it looks like I got ya!!!! Just kidding w/ that, of course!!

Oh, and I think you're giving animals way too much credit!!! Most people do, so it's not surprising.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Threat vs non-threat, possibly. However, when in pain, it's doubtful whether that would kick in.

Deer develop instincts. They do get to where they know whether a person is a threat or not. However, I don't believe she "knew" you were trying to help her. The odds of that being the case are so low they're not even worth mentioning.

Let's see, I'm 54, started deer hunting when I was 9, so it looks like I got ya!!!! Just kidding w/ that, of course!!

Oh, and I think you're giving animals way too much credit!!! Most people do, so it's not surprising.
Well I guess we'll agree to disagree.

55. Started tagging along when I was 8 and carrying a rifle when I was ten.

Had I known what was intended as a nice story of my experience was going to be dissected I would have chosen my words more carefully.

You're taking them far more literally than they were intended.

She most definitely didn't view me as anywhere near the threat she viewed those dogs as and if she had fought me like she was those dogs I wouldn't have been able to get her free.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well I guess we'll agree to disagree.

55. Started tagging along when I was 8 and carrying a rifle when I was ten.
Hey, we are even!!!!!!!

Like you, I've been observing animals in general since I could see. Heard many many stories of attempts to make animals more human. And I've seen massive proof of the fact that animals lack consciousness. So, did the deer stop struggling because she did not perceive you as a threat? Sure, that's possible. Did she actually think you were trying to help her? That's where the unlikelihood starts. As an animal lacking consciousness, she is most likely not capable of such a thought process.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Hey, we are even!!!!!!!

Like you, I've been observing animals in general since I could see. Heard many many stories of attempts to make animals more human. And I've seen massive proof of the fact that animals lack consciousness. So, did the deer stop struggling because she did not perceive you as a threat? Sure, that's possible. Did she actually think you were trying to help her? That's where the unlikelihood starts. As an animal lacking consciousness, she is most likely not capable of such a thought process.

I think we have a tomAto tomato thing going on here.

I never meant the animal applied critical thinking and reasoned that I was there to save her. I do believe she was put at ease by my attitude and demeanor and let me get close to the point of grabbing her and lifting her with no resistance at all on her part. That's what I meant but again didn't choose my words carefully enough to avoid the most literal interpretation.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I'm not giving an opinion one way or the other on this subject, but I've seen a lot of animals doing very unexpected things. There's video in one of the threads of a cat and an owl, playing outside together. How many stories have you heard about a mama adopting and caring for an orphaned animal of a different species?

Cowboys_22

Reaction score
49101965_343125159819479_2806407476033880064_o.jpg
photo.php

Columbo would tell you exactly what happened by inspecting that piece of paper next to the deer. :popcorn: