Self-imposed deadline for a deal

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought this was a done deal and evidently I was wrong and there's a chance a deal does not get done and what good does it do to tag Prescott for one year? If they tag him and keep him for the year, that's all they're getting from him and then the new QB era will begin.

This is all about the future of the team and a tag is just running in place when they need to be moving forward.

If they do use the tag, they need a strict deadline for getting a long term deal into place at least one week prior to the draft. At that point, they can explore their options about which QB to take and rescind the tag and he can go wherever he wants that will pay him 41.5M for 3 years.

Am I missing something here? They've been at this for two years and haven't been able to come to terms and that deadline story from Prescott is starting to look just like that, a story.

What does a tag do? Buy more time. Time for what? Either they feel he is a 40M QB and the QB of the future or they don't.

His agent is a take it or leave it negotiator so nothing is going to change and the Joneses are doing nothing but wasting time if they are not going to meet his demands.

The non exclusive tag will not work. Name the team that will forfeit 2 1sts and pay Prescott what he wants. All that does is add more time to a situation that has already taken too much time.

They need a self-imposed deadline for themselves to move forward, not for a deal to get done unless they are giving in.

If Prescott hasn't come off that position, let him go seek out a new team and draft a QB with that 1st but they will have to move up as the number projected is now up to 5 QB's in the 1st 10 picks, which will be a record. And I think it is apparent that he's going to play hardball with them as this has gone on longer than any contract negotiation in NFL history.

I realize the inherent risk in drafting a QB and the need for D help but this is what it is. This team cannot begin to fix their problems paying a QB 37.7M for one season. What's the reasoning in that? They can't even keep average players on their defense. Quinn starts off in a hole.

But the real deadline is accepting the fact the Prescott era is over and a new one beginning. Take the QB and use the money on a couple of real FA's, not third wavers, and quite possibly because of the talent on the offense, a rookie QB can step in much like Marino, Rothliesberger and Prescott were able to do and they have a better season than they would have had with a tagged QB.

Deadlines aren't for just getting deals done but for ourselves in making the hard tough decisions that we'd prefer not to make but they must be made for that coaching staff and 52 other players. It's about them, not him.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I thought this was a done deal and evidently I was wrong and there's a chance a deal does not get done and what good does it do to tag Prescott for one year? If they tag him and keep him for the year, that's all they're getting from him and then the new QB era will begin.

This is all about the future of the team and a tag is just running in place when they need to be moving forward.

If they do use the tag, they need a strict deadline for getting a long term deal into place at least one week prior to the draft. At that point, they can explore their options about which QB to take and rescind the tag and he can go wherever he wants that will pay him 41.5M for 3 years.

Am I missing something here? They've been at this for two years and haven't been able to come to terms and that deadline story from Prescott is starting to look just like that, a story.

What does a tag do? Buy more time. Time for what? Either they feel he is a 40M QB and the QB of the future or they don't.

His agent is a take it or leave it negotiator so nothing is going to change and the Joneses are doing nothing but wasting time if they are not going to meet his demands.

The non exclusive tag will not work. Name the team that will forfeit 2 1sts and pay Prescott what he wants. All that does is add more time to a situation that has already taken too much time.

They need a self-imposed deadline for themselves to move forward, not for a deal to get done unless they are giving in.

If Prescott hasn't come off that position, let him go seek out a new team and draft a QB with that 1st but they will have to move up as the number projected is now up to 5 QB's in the 1st 10 picks, which will be a record. And I think it is apparent that he's going to play hardball with them as this has gone on longer than any contract negotiation in NFL history.

I realize the inherent risk in drafting a QB and the need for D help but this is what it is. This team cannot begin to fix their problems paying a QB 37.7M for one season. What's the reasoning in that? They can't even keep average players on their defense. Quinn starts off in a hole.

But the real deadline is accepting the fact the Prescott era is over and a new one beginning. Take the QB and use the money on a couple of real FA's, not third wavers, and quite possibly because of the talent on the offense, a rookie QB can step in much like Marino, Rothliesberger and Prescott were able to do and they have a better season than they would have had with a tagged QB.

Deadlines aren't for just getting deals done but for ourselves in making the hard tough decisions that we'd prefer not to make but they must be made for that coaching staff and 52 other players. It's about them, not him.

It's been too wild of a thought for people to comprehend for awhile but dumping that contract has always been the smart move.

But..

The problem is the guy in charge doesn't make smart moves and the reality is he will keep kicking the can down the road only to cave and sign an awful contract in the end locking us into mediocrity.

Almost every deal we have done has been like this.. Deadlines make deals they say..

A Rookie Contract is too bold.. Too risky.. They won't do it. Dak is good for their business and keeping us relevant.

I would love for us to actually take a look at Trey Lance or Justin Fields.. Or heck get the guy that is very Aaron Rodgers / Pat Mahomes like in Zach Wilson.

Surely someone in that building knows that this team is not close to competing and this mindset of drafting strictly defense will get us nowhere. Our Championship window closes the moment Dak signs for a few years.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
This could be a good year to do what you're suggesting. We have a good draft position and shouldn't have to move up much, if at all, to get a QB depending on the one they value most.

That said, I'd much rather roll with Dak. He's a known quantity and the team follows him. Still, we can't pay him 40 million plus and have anything on defense unless we trade away assets from the offense. We need to have more balanced spending between the two sides of the ball to field a team that can go deep in the playoffs.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I've said before and will say again, If it's me this comes to head around April 15. He either sign to a long-term deal or traded but no way in hell he's playing on a 2nd tag as a Dallas Cowboy. We need time BEFORE the draft field trade offers if we can't work out a deal. Here's his market value according to Spotrac.......THIS could be the real problem, especially if reports of $40M are true.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/market-value/

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This could be a good year to do what you're suggesting. We have a good draft position and shouldn't have to move up much, if at all, to get a QB depending on the one they value most.

That said, I'd much rather roll with Dak. He's a known quantity and the team follows him. Still, we can't pay him 40 million plus and have anything on defense unless we trade away assets from the offense. We need to have more balanced spending between the two sides of the ball to field a team that can go deep in the playoffs.

That's the reality.. If you want Dak you just have to accept that we're going to be a very mediocre football team because of his contract.

Maybe if he does a 5 year deal then in 3 years we can compete again if we hit on all of our premium draft picks but my gosh is it a lot to overcome and asking Jerry the GM to get it right is not realistic.

I'd would rather keep the ceiling high for this team then just keeping a high floor and accepting being mediocre..

I mean we will still win this terrible division and give ourselves a shot at a wildcard victory at best type of season with Dak's contract. So if that's what you want then I think we can still pull that off under that contract.

I'd rather keep the dream of a Superbowl alive though and you'll never convince me that signing Dak is no big deal and we can carry on like it's nothing.

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I've said before and will say again, If it's me this comes to head around April 15. He either sign to a long-term deal or traded but no way in hell he's playing on a 2nd tag as a Dallas Cowboy. We need time BEFORE the draft field trade offers if we can't work out a deal.
If they can't reach a deal, why not let him play on the tag? He's going to be motivated to show the other teams how good he is, one of them will have him in 2022. I like the idea of having a good QB that is motivated. Plus we get at least a 3rd round comp pick when he walks. That's not "nothing" to show for it.

Creeper

Reaction score
First off, as I have asked many times, what does Dak want exactly that the Cowboys are unwilling to give him? Is it money? or is it really the length of the contract? If it was just the length of the deal then why didn't Jerry give in last year and do a 4 year deal just for peace of mind? Not knowing exactly what Dak wants is part of our, or at least my, frustration. It could be that Dak's agent has not made Dak's demands clear to Jerry and that's why they remain so far apart. It could also be why Jerry has reportedly not made a new offer to Dak since he offered $35 million for 5 years (reportedly). If Dak simply turned the deal down without making a counter offer, then of course Jerry would be a fool to make a new offer. He would be bidding himself up.

If Dak is unwilling to sign a deal with Dallas then they have no choice but to franchise him - and trade him. You are right, if he plays on the franchise this year both sides know he is not coming back next year so why prolong it any further. Trade him for whatever they can get and move on, even if it means playing with Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB for 1 year. But, if Dallas let's Dak get away without getting at least 1 first round pick back for him then they are foolish. If Wentz get get a 2nd and 3rd (with the 2nd probably being a first), then surely Dak should bring a 1st and at least a 2nd. Wouldn't you rather have that than nothing? Think of what Dallas can do with 2 ones and 2 twos this year.

Rayman70

Reaction score
First off, as I have asked many times, what does Dak want exactly that the Cowboys are unwilling to give him? Is it money? or is it really the length of the contract? If it was just the length of the deal then why didn't Jerry give in last year and do a 4 year deal just for peace of mind? Not knowing exactly what Dak wants is part of our, or at least my, frustration. It could be that Dak's agent has not made Dak's demands clear to Jerry and that's why they remain so far apart. It could also be why Jerry has reportedly not made a new offer to Dak since he offered $35 million for 5 years (reportedly). If Dak simply turned the deal down without making a counter offer, then of course Jerry would be a fool to make a new offer. He would be bidding himself up.

If Dak is unwilling to sign a deal with Dallas then they have no choice but to franchise him - and trade him. You are right, if he plays on the franchise this year both sides know he is not coming back next year so why prolong it any further. Trade him for whatever they can get and move on, even if it means playing with Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB for 1 year. But, if Dallas let's Dak get away without getting at least 1 first round pick back for him then they are foolish. If Wentz get get a 2nd and 3rd (with the 2nd probably being a first), then surely Dak should bring a 1st and at least a 2nd. Wouldn't you rather have that than nothing? Think of what Dallas can do with 2 ones and 2 twos this year.
its years. He wants a short deal. WHICH is never done. He wants his cake and wants to eat it too. He needs to knock it off. The team must come first and NO WAY will Stephen and Daddy offer a short deal. I agree in this case. Dak is screwing himself IMO. The agent needs a boot up his arse.

Creeper

Reaction score
If they can't reach a deal, why not let him play on the tag? He's going to be motivated to show the other teams how good he is, one of them will have him in 2022. I like the idea of having a good QB that is motivated. Plus we get at least a 3rd round comp pick when he walks. That's not "nothing" to show for it.

It is not necessarily true that the Cowboys will get a 3rd round comp pick for Dak. It depends on whether the Cowboys sign their own free agents. The formula subtracts the free agents you sign from the free agents you lose. Dallas could get just a 5th or even no comp picks for losing Dak. Besides, a 3rd round comp pick is peanuts for Daks value.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

3rd round comp vs maybe TWO 1st round picks before the draft........just that simple Joe

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It is not necessarily true that the Cowboys will get a 3rd round comp pick for Dak. It depends on whether the Cowboys sign their own free agents. The formula subtracts the free agents you sign from the free agents you lose. Dallas could get just a 5th or even no comp picks for losing Dak. Besides, a 3rd round comp pick is peanuts for Daks value.
Thanks. So they really could have nothing to show for it. Wow.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

100%

fivetwos

Reaction score
It's been too wild of a thought for people to comprehend for awhile but dumping that contract has always been the smart move.

But..

The problem is the guy in charge doesn't make smart moves and the reality is he will keep kicking the can down the road only to cave and sign an awful contract in the end locking us into mediocrity.

Almost every deal we have done has been like this.. Deadlines make deals they say..

A Rookie Contract is too bold.. Too risky.. They won't do it. Dak is good for their business and keeping us relevant.

I would love for us to actually take a look at Trey Lance or Justin Fields.. Or heck get the guy that is very Aaron Rodgers / Pat Mahomes like in Zach Wilson.

Surely someone in that building knows that this team is not close to competing and this mindset of drafting strictly defense will get us nowhere. Our Championship window closes the moment Dak signs for a few years.
I don't think they can pry #2 away from NY unless somehow Prescott is part of it....or trading away the picks needed to field a decent defense.

I just can't see this FO getting successfully creative at all here.

The choices are really to sign him to huge money....

The saving grace here is the player is insisting on a shorter term....and the team can't kick the can down the road on restructures.

I personally think Prescott "betting on himself" and not signing a massive deal (with the huge bonus that goes with it) is one of the dumbest decisions in pro sports history considering the injury possibility, etc.

JBS

Reaction score
At least you are acknowledging you were wrong

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tag Dak, and he eats up cap space. So if a deal is not done, you can't get any possible help in FA. Which is not all that bad, because they are not big players anyway. However, will that keep them from signing some of their own. How will it impact decisions. Yes there are some of our own FA's good enough to bring back. to keep that core together. But do they let LP walk and have to sign a player for minimum pay to be the long snapper. Things like that. So a long term deal must be worked out soon.

Sign Dak to a long term deal, it creates that cap, and then they can dip into Fa, their own as well as a few mid tier players.

Let Dak walk, you get a 3rd round comp pick. You free up a lot of cap space to fix a lot of weaknesses, but would they do it. Then you still must find a QB.

No matter what option, it still comes down to being successful in the draft. I do not want Dak playing on the tag this year, this will screw things up mores than the other 2 options.
I won't say tag and trade, that most likely will not happen.
Tag and sign at one point is another option. However clearing cap space after FA, the damage is done, you can't participate even with your own FA's.

I post this as not knowing how much true cap space we have, I seen numbers all over the place. But still, no matter the number, it impacts how the team proceeds.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Tag Dak, and he eats up cap space. So if a deal is not done, you can't get any possible help in FA. Which is not all that bad, because they are not big players anyway. However, will that keep them from signing some of their own. How will it impact decisions. Yes there are some of our own FA's good enough to bring back. to keep that core together. But do they let LP walk and have to sign a player for minimum pay to be the long snapper. Things like that. So a long term deal must be worked out soon.

Sign Dak to a long term deal, it creates that cap, and then they can dip into Fa, their own as well as a few mid tier players.

Let Dak walk, you get a 3rd round comp pick. You free up a lot of cap space to fix a lot of weaknesses, but would they do it. Then you still must find a QB.

No matter what option, it still comes down to being successful in the draft. I do not want Dak playing on the tag this year, this will screw things up mores than the other 2 options.
I won't say tag and trade, that most likely will not happen.
Tag and sign at one point is another option. However clearing cap space after FA, the damage is done, you can't participate even with your own FA's.

I post this as not knowing how much true cap space we have, I seen numbers all over the place. But still, no matter the number, it impacts how the team proceeds.
good point, thus he wont be tagged again.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score

Yes, what you are missing is that one side is negotiating in bad faith. Todd France had no intention of striking a deal with the Cowboys, not unless they blew him away. He's angling to get his player to free agency and he is going to achieve that. It takes two to tango.

What the Cowboys should do: What just about everyone here has suggested, use the non-exclusive tag, show his agent that there isn't a market for him, and if there is either have the opportunity to match it or receive two first round picks in exchange.

What they will do: Franchise him and select a QB in the draft, play one more year with Dak then hand the reins over to the new guy in 2022, or a free agent if the kid falls flat on his face.