Selfless wins

JohnBoy

Reaction score
Instead of squabbling over actual $$ amounts, I think these clowns ought to be negotiating for their percentage of the salary cap pie. And the total compensation for the entire team - including all players, all backups, and frankly all coaches too - should be variable depending on the team's record that year. Every loss chips away some portion of the salary cap for that season.

And moreover:

Get to the playoffs: salary cap doubles.

Get to conference title game: it doubles again.

Get to SB: doubles again.

Win SB: doubles again.

So that the entirety of the "salary cap" assumes that the team goes to, and wins the SuperBowl. Anything shy of that is a reduction that they all feel together.

Or something like this. Want to see teams and coaches motivated? Want to see them make sacrifices to selfish, immediate paychecks in order for the team as a whole to win?

This is how you do it.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Instead of squabbling over actual $$ amounts, I think these clowns ought to be negotiating for their percentage of the salary cap pie. And the total compensation for the entire team - including all players, all backups, and frankly all coaches too - should be variable depending on the team's record that year. Every loss chips away some portion of the salary cap for that season.

And moreover:

So that the entirety of the "salary cap" assumes that the team goes to, and wins the SuperBowl. Anything shy of that is a reduction that they all feel together.

Or something like this. Want to see teams and coaches motivated? Want to see them make sacrifices to selfish, immediate paychecks in order for the team as a whole to win?

This is how you do it.

Good luck getting the NFLPA to go along with that. :muttley:

But as long as we're paying for performance, how about the owners have to donate half of their TV revenue to charity if they fail to make the playoffs?

AbeBeta

Reaction score

And moreover:

This is how you do it.

Gee. Doubling for times if you win the SB.

So you start at, say 100 mill. Playoffs mean 200 mill. Conf championship game means 400 mill. Get to SB means 800 mill. Win SB means 1.6 BILLION.

Perhaps you might rethink your plan.

JohnBoy

Reaction score
Perhaps you might rethink your plan.

I guess you didn't read to the end: "So that the entirety of the "salary cap" assumes that the team goes to, and wins the SuperBowl. Anything shy of that is a reduction that they all feel together."

I also qualified it with "or something like that". Understood that it would likely be negotiated to something less draconian. But I think at this point it's pretty obvious that something needs to be done to motivate players to want to be champions with a team, instead of just taking care of themselves.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

And moreover:

This is how you do it.
Not everyone is motivated by money. If that were the case we'd have more millionaires in this capitalist society and poverty and the homeless population would be much less common.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Players already get paid more money for playoff games and the payout goes up in each round of the playoffs.

So there is already financial incentive for the players to make the playoffs and win in the playoffs.

It’s not a lot. But it’s something.

408Cowboy

Reaction score

And moreover:

This is how you do it.
:huh::huh::huh:
The Patriots salary cap would be more than the Dallas Cowboys are worth.

I can't take this seriously.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Not everyone is motivated by money. If that were the case we'd have more millionaires in this capitalist society and poverty and the homeless population would be much less common.
There's a whole lot more to do with poverty than lack of money motivation.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I also qualified it with "or something like that". Understood that it would likely be negotiated to something less draconian. But I think at this point it's pretty obvious that something needs to be done to motivate players to want to be champions with a team, instead of just taking care of themselves.

Ah. The "or something like it" defense. Hauled out to defend terrible ideas since the board opened.

Good night, JohnBoy

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And moreover:

This is how you do it.

I don't think you understand the point of the salary cap.

The salary cap is designed to set a fixed cost for teams with regards to player compensation.

The NFL salary cap number each year is determined from NFL Revenues.

The players get a set percentage of Revenue and that determines the salary cap.

408Cowboy

Reaction score

And moreover:

This is how you do it.
What part of your mind thinks the players would ever agree to something like that? I

Maxmadden

Reaction score
We have enough millionaires in today's society. That ain't the problem

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We have enough millionaires in today's society. That ain't the problem
I didn't say that so stop being so triggered by things I did not say. Money is not such a motivating factor in society that a game such as football can be structured to make it the whole point of being successful. There has to be more, like the satisfaction of being triumphant, bragging rights, the rewarded bling, notoriety.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And moreover:

This is how you do it.
Coaches salaries do not factor into salary caps.

JayFord

Reaction score
this generation of players? Earning money from wins? Lol

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I didn't say that so stop being so triggered by things I did not say. Money is not such a motivating factor in society that a game such as football can be structured to make it the whole point of being successful. There has to be more, like the satisfaction of being triumphant, bragging rights, the rewarded bling, notoriety.
Sorry, but money makes the world go round. Everything is driven by money. Especially sports.
If it is not important to you, then you have too much or you have no other means to get more.
I am not driven by money because I have too much, but I am far from rich. It has more to do with relevancy.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Sorry, but money makes the world go round. Everything is driven by money. Especially sports.
If it is not important to you, then you have too much or you have no other means to get more.
I am not driven by money because I have too much, but I am far from rich. It has more to do with relevancy.
I don't know what you mean by "too much" money. I don't think there is such a thing. I have more than enough to meet my means but I earned every cent. But I'm also grounded enough to know most people place other things above money as a motivating factor, especially in sports. This is why the OP's idea will not yield the results he thinks it will.

JohnBoy

Reaction score
I don't think you understand the point of the salary cap.

The salary cap is designed to set a fixed cost for teams with regards to player compensation.

The NFL salary cap number each year is determined from NFL Revenues.

The players get a set percentage of Revenue and that determines the salary cap.

I thought the (main) point of the salary cap is that it evens out - and limits - spending on talent, with the aim of producing "parity". To prevent exactly what Jerry Jones did in the 1990's - simply go spend whatever it takes to obtain the best players in the league.

What I'd like to see is more incentive tied to team success. I don't see how the salary cap addresses that, but I'm open to education about it...

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I thought the (main) point of the salary cap is that it evens out - and limits - spending on talent, with the aim of producing "parity". To prevent exactly what Jerry Jones did in the 1990's - simply go spend whatever it takes to obtain the best players in the league.

What I'd like to see is more incentive tied to team success. I don't see how the salary cap addresses that, but I'm open to education about it...

Why would a player ever sign with anyone but a top 10 team? Because they hate money? You’d immediately have to start retracting teams that go 0-16 every year because players are trying to jump ship the second they get drafted and it’d basically ruin the league.

Parity is what makes the nfl entertaining. People sitting in cincinnati right now think their team has a shot at a super bowl in the next 2-3 years if they play their cards right. If what you’re saying went through, football would be worse than basketball where only 3-4 teams even have a shot.