Selfless wins

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Instead of squabbling over actual $$ amounts, I think these clowns ought to be negotiating for their percentage of the salary cap pie. And the total compensation for the entire team - including all players, all backups, and frankly all coaches too - should be variable depending on the team's record that year. Every loss chips away some portion of the salary cap for that season.
Disclaimer: I will preface my reply by stating it has less than zero chance of ever being endorsed by the NFLPA.

I have actually pondered what would a overall percentage type salary cap would look like. The one below is something I threw together just now, using an old Bucky Brooks' opinion (click here for his NFL.com article) of each position's value I remembered reading before, along with examples of percentages I straddled each position with.

3FFwmIJ.jpg

I left wiggle room for front offices to account for backups, dead money, extra acquisitions, etc.

It is far from perfect or realistic. I decided to post it for discussion purposes only.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I will preface my reply by stating it has less than zero chance of ever being endorsed by the NFLPA.

I have actually pondered what would a overall percentage type salary cap would look like. The one below is something I threw together just now, using an old Bucky Brooks' opinion (click here for his NFL.com article) of each position's value I remembered reading before, along with examples of percentages I straddled each position with.

3FFwmIJ.jpg

I left wiggle room for front offices to account for backups, dead money, extra acquisitions, etc.

It is far from perfect or realistic. I decided to post it for discussion purposes only.

But if you’re a team without a top 10 qb you now have to pay him the same as Aaron Rodgers? Or what if you don’t value RBs and use a committee? They have to combine to Zeke’s cap number? This would hurt the unique team building some organizations do and everything would just be the same.

The problem is nfl rosters are too dynamic. Some teams use fullbacks. Some teams prefer two top-end aTeS over expensive WRs. Some teams play most of their D in nickel with 2 LBers. Some teams have 4 LBers most of the time. Philadelphia likes to go heavy on dline salary investment so they can be 8 deep. Whereas Dallas likes to have the best player at every Oline position AND depth behind them. You can’t do any of that with this homogenization.

Imagine drafting. It’s the second round and the best player on the board is a DE. You have a way overpaid DE who’s been bad for a few years, you’d now have to cut him to fit this 2nd rounder in, even if you were t prepared to do that. But you have pre-slotted cap room at TE, even though the best one is predicted to be a 4th rounder. So are you forced to draft that TE? Feels like the book 1984.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But if you’re a team without a top 10 qb you now have to pay him the same as Aaron Rodgers? Or what if you don’t value RBs and use a committee? They have to combine to Zeke’s cap number?

Some of the positions listed in the chart would not be limited to compensating a single player. For example, quarterback compensation would be divided unequally between all quarterbacks on the roster.

This would hurt the unique team building some organizations do and everything would just be the same.
Do you mean everything would be just the same, like an NFL that once did not have a salary cap, and one that I have never liked since day one when the NFL and NFLPA ratified them in the mid 1990's?

Fine by me.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Some of the positions listed in the chart would not be limited to compensating a single player. For example, quarterback compensation would be divided unequally between all quarterbacks on the roster.

Do you mean everything would be just the same, like an NFL that once did not have a salary cap, and one that I have never liked since day one when the NFL and NFLPA ratified them in the mid 1990's?

Fine by me.

So if the colts draft Tua , you have to pay him and his backups the same as Seattle pays Russell Wilson? Tua gets 20 million for never playing in the nfl, Brissett gets 10 million for being lucky he’s not a better QBs backup, and some nobody gets 5 million because he’s required to. This just doesn’t work.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So if the colts draft Tua , you have to pay him and his backups the same as Seattle pays Russell Wilson? Tua gets 20 million for never playing in the nfl, Brissett gets 10 million for being lucky he’s not a better QBs backup, and some nobody gets 5 million because he’s required to. This just doesn’t work.
It would not work under the current system. My hypothetical would radically change the current system. As you may or may not have already noticed, I did state in my original posting:

A) Disclaimer: I will preface my reply by stating it has less than zero chance of ever being endorsed by the NFLPA.

and

B) It is far from perfect or realistic. I decided to post it for discussion purposes only.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought the (main) point of the salary cap is that it evens out - and limits - spending on talent, with the aim of producing "parity". To prevent exactly what Jerry Jones did in the 1990's - simply go spend whatever it takes to obtain the best players in the league.

What I'd like to see is more incentive tied to team success. I don't see how the salary cap addresses that, but I'm open to education about it...

No, parity was a result of the cap but not the primary purpose.

Jerry didn't buy the earlier nineties teams. The 92 roster was primarily draft picks with regards to the top players. The main outside player was Charles Haley and he was obtained in a trade.

The big contract to Deion was in 95 which was after the cap was in place.

Jerry was very cheap back then which is why Emmitt held out in 93 which was before the salary cap.

Jerry was barely paying the bills in the early years.

There is inventive pay for getting to the playoffs but it's a small amount relative to top paid players.

Significant incentive bonuses are difficult to manage for teams because they don"t know ahead of time.

What they could do with agreement between the league and players association in the next CBA is as follows:

Example
Instead of 200M cap space per team,
take 10M from each team's cap which would be a pool of money equal 320M.

Now use that 320M to pay out bonuses for each level of playoff success. The NFL would manage that money not the teams.

The problem is that it helps the good teams.

Normally the bad teams get the beat draft picks, etc. but this would make the good teams better because free agent would prefer to come where they are most likely to get playoff bonus money.

JohnBoy

Reaction score
I like it. To mitigate the players migrating to better teams, put something in there that diminishes (or even removes) that bonus money for successful teams the next season.

JohnBoy

Reaction score
And/or: make the draft order favor suck teams even more than it does now. There are ways to achieve this. Just feels like right now, there's not enough incentive to prevent exactly what's happening now with Zeke.