Twitter: Selvie to start and Spencer to play as reserve/Dez good to go

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Your failure to articulate why you think what you think is not very convincing.

It's the same as saying the sun is hot. It's a well known fact. Sorry that you don't know this. We're all ignorant in somethings.

In order to be successful with the 3-4 you have to have the right personnel at various positions. To effectively stop the run, a team must have a dominant nose tackle capable of occupying space and taking on several blockers at once. DE's are not only expected to have the speed to rush the QB on passing downs, but also to have the strength and size necessary to take on offensive linemen and keep them off the inside LB's on running plays. Outside LB's need to be incredible athletes with a non-stop motor and a great nose for the ball, i.e. Clay Matthews of the Packers. These guys are not easy to find and if any of those positions has a weakness the 3-4 will be very weak against the run.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea, it's well known that 3-4 defenses have more trouble with the run. Ask any defensive coordinator.

You know Amber I'd love for you to support one of your many "clichés" with some hard data... At some point...

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It's the same as saying the sun is hot. It's a well known fact. Sorry that you don't know this. We're all ignorant in somethings.

In order to be successful with the 3-4 you have to have the right personnel at various positions. To effectively stop the run, a team must have a dominant nose tackle capable of occupying space and taking on several blockers at once. DE's are not only expected to have the speed to rush the QB on passing downs, but also to have the strength and size necessary to take on offensive linemen and keep them off the inside LB's on running plays. Outside LB's need to be incredible athletes with a non-stop motor and a great nose for the ball, i.e. Clay Matthews of the Packers. These guys are not easy to find and if any of those positions has a weakness the 3-4 will be very weak against the run.

There is no such thing as absolute truth when making qualitative statements such as 'have more trouble." It's a gross generalization to begin with and calling it a fact does not make it one. YOu do all of the bush league argumentation methods like flippantly fronting as if it is a universal truth and invoking the support of people you do not even produce.

Essentially all you have attempted to show is that it is more difficult to find the players to execute the assignments. I could just as easily say that quality 3 techniques and strongside pass rushing ends who can also defend the run are difficult to find. Certainly more difficult to find than a 325 lbs slug to clog the A gaps or an OLB that can defend the run. It'

That is besides the point though. Making the assumption that the assignments can be carried out, 3-4 defenders will be in a better position to defend the run. Charging into the backfield leaves lanes especially from certain angles as well as make you susceptible to being trapped behind the line.

Bottomline though, there is no certainty as to which defense is the 'best' or which one has 'more problems.' Playing fantasy land about people with an authoritative position that supposedly agree with you does not help either.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I think those stats would be hard to find. Not sure if any outfit keeps track of such things.

Not being able to find them does not suddenly make your assertion true. It just means you cannot prove it. Also how hard is it to determine which teams run a 3-4 and see how they rank?

But hey why bother when you can just front like it's true and hope people buy it.

al124

Reaction score
David Moore ‏@DavidMooreDMN 45m
DE Anthony Spencer said he will play this Sunday against KC but won't start as he plays his way back into shape. George Selvie starts again.

Eric Fisher's gonna have his hands full.

Spencer might actually have the better game since I hear Fisher has trouble with the bull rush. I like this kid Selvie though. I'm hoping he continues to develop and replace Spencer next year.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I thought it was common knowledge that the 3-4 was better against the run than the 4-3.

You have massive defensive linemen who are almost all qualified to be defensive tackles in the 4-3 across the line.

Then on top of that you have two run stopping inside linebackers and then you have outside linebackers who are generally larger than 4-3 outside linebackers.

The 3-4 is a much larger defense overall at every position.

The 3-4's major weakness is against the pass, which is why it needs to generation a pass rush to avoid being exposed. Something we struggled to accomplish in Dallas.

I think that Miles Austin having the game he did against Kansas City before is going to ultimately change how this game is played. If any team respects Austin in the NFL it's Kansas City. I expect Dez to be as free as he will be all year on Sunday. I'd put Flowers on Austin 1 on 1 and then bracket dez with the #2 corner and safety help over the top.

Throw the next safety in the box to stop Murray and the running game.

Should free up Witten and the sixth man a great deal as well.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Can't wait for this game !!! I know we usually win our first game of the year but. This game should be a nice test.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea, it's well known that 3-4 defenses have more trouble with the run. Ask any defensive coordinator.

Well you have one less DL so yeah. That's why you need that wide bodied NT and two good run support ILBs behind him to make it work.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is no such thing as absolute truth when making qualitative statements such as 'have more trouble." It's a gross generalization to begin with and calling it a fact does not make it one. YOu do all of the bush league argumentation methods like flippantly fronting as if it is a universal truth and invoking the support of people you do not even produce.

Essentially all you have attempted to show is that it is more difficult to find the players to execute the assignments. I could just as easily say that quality 3 techniques and strongside pass rushing ends who can also defend the run are difficult to find. Certainly more difficult to find than a 325 lbs slug to clog the A gaps or an OLB that can defend the run. It'

That is besides the point though. Making the assumption that the assignments can be carried out, 3-4 defenders will be in a better position to defend the run. Charging into the backfield leaves lanes especially from certain angles as well as make you susceptible to being trapped behind the line.

Bottomline though, there is no certainty as to which defense is the 'best' or which one has 'more problems.' Playing fantasy land about people with an authoritative position that supposedly agree with you does not help either.

I think someone just got "schooled".

ghst187

Reaction score
Nice having Selvie around so Spence can work back into the mix.

no doubt. I'm not sure Selvie > Spencer......Selvie seems to have a great motor and is always around the QB. I remember him at S. Fl, wasn't he the precursor to JJP? I know he holds the S. FL sack record over JPP. Not sure how Selvie got lost in the shuffle but wow, what a find by our org! Not sure what Selvie's current contract is but I suspect JJ signs Selvie to a longer contract probably before the year is over, which will undercut any bargaining leverage Spencer has. Even with Spencer back, we are going to have to get Selvie on the field.
Hmm Selvie is 3 years younger, going to be exponentially cheaper and may be the better pass rusher....
Hello $10 million in added cap space next year! Maybe we can use the money on a FS and DL

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone who thinks that Selvie (at this stage of the game) is even equal to Spencer needs to tap the brakes.

Spencer has proven to be one of the top players vs the run and he's a decent pass rusher.

Selvie MAY prove to be an adequate substitute but up to this point of his career he's done little to merit being compared favorably to Spencer.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks that Selvie (at this stage of the game) is even equal to Spencer needs to tap the brakes.

Spencer has proven to be one of the top players vs the run and he's a decent pass rusher.

Selvie MAY prove to be an adequate substitute but up to this point of his career he's done little to merit being compared favorably to Spencer.

It's mind bottling that anyone who think that Selvie > Spencer. I'm cool with Selvie getting the start since Spencer isn't 100%, but on third down, I want Spencer in.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Not being able to find them does not suddenly make your assertion true. It just means you cannot prove it. Also how hard is it to determine which teams run a 3-4 and see how they rank?

But hey why bother when you can just front like it's true and hope people buy it.

Look, I really don't care whether people buy it or not. I know it's true. The fact that you don't shows some lack of knowledge.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
As for the Selvie vs. Spencer thing, I would say that Selvie had a better night than JPP did a week ago.