Sherman/Martz/Tice/Capers fired. Assistants anyone?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dick Vermeil retired, so what happens to his staff there. He has some decent assistants.

Rockytop6

Reaction score
Why would anybody want Norv? Granted he did a good job as OC for Dallas but that was a long time ago. He has been calling his own plays, I think, and couldn't score from the 1 yard line with four tries. I like Norv and I have wanted him back as OC for a long time but the last few years have convinced me that he doesn't "have it" as an OC any longer. I would really like to have Capers as the DC though.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jazzcat22 said:
Dick Vermeil retired, so what happens to his staff there. He has some decent assistants.
Depends on who gets the HC job. If Saunders gets it, most will probably be retained.

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
Martz is so far ahead of anything we have even conceived of on offense, why not him and Capers, at least when Parcells hangs it up we'd have a couple of real candidates..

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I want Steve Hoffman back.

But that's not the subject of thread. Give me Capers as a DC and Martz as OC. Man would that be great.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Wasn't Sherman scheduled to be the offensive coordinator at Texas A&M when Green Bay suddenly decided to fire Ray Rhodes and hire Sherman? Green Bay is on the way down. They may have a couple of more bad seasons before they come back. Maybe the Packers see Sherman more as a guy that keeps the status quo when there is some talent on the team than someone capable of re-builiding a team.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Give me Mike Sherman for offensive quality control... tell him to bring his O-line coach with him... don't see what a lot of you see in pass happy Mike Martz, I think Warner plays in AZ anyway. Martz to Dallas will never happen anyway, Book it!

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Parcells has any kind of relationship with Capers?

SacredStar

Reaction score
demdcowboys#1 said:
Sherman had 5 winning seasons in his 6 yeaers with green bay!!!!!!!!!!!
2000= 9-7
2001= 12-4
2002= 12-4
2003= 12-4
2004= 10-6
2005= 4-12

He was 59-43 in his 6 seasons with Green Bay

Pretty damn good if you ask me!!!!!!!!!!

I dont want him though, I want BP here for many years to come!!!!!!!

Sherman had little to do with Green Bay's success...it was all Favre.

That team was built by Mike Holmgren and ran an identical West Coast offense implimented by Holmgren and Ron Wolf. Sherman just was the nightwatcher.

If Brett ever had a bad day, the Packers lost. Sherman could never, ever win a game where Brett Favre had a bad day. All the Packers losses happened when Brett Favre had an off day. That was Brett's team, not Sherman's.

The last three years, the Packers were the playoffs and were eliminated because of boneheaded decisions made by Mike Sherman at key times in the games. He always made critical mistakes in play calling at oppurtune times....in example....4th and 26 with the Eagles. He made alot of these mistakes, and that's why he is gone.

Reports around here is that Green Bay has contacted Brad Childress.

joseephuss

Reaction score

Hiero

Reaction score
I would love to see Martz calling plays, but I doubt they could get along.

bysbox1

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
That article left out Landry. Dan Reeves learned from Tom. Mike Nolan learned from his dad who coached under Landry. Brian Billick worked for Tex Schramm at one time and had to have learned something from Landry during that time.

I just watched the Don Capers press conference. He is a classy guy. It takes a lot of guts to go up in a press conference and tell everyone you were fired.

Capers is more of a Tom Coughlin/Bill Cowher guy, but since Couglin and Parcells are tight, I could see Parcells picking him up as DC.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Didn't we just give Zimmer a big fat contract to keep him here?

I'd love to see some of these guys, but Parcells has never hired former head coaches that I'm aware of...He's way too insecure....he loves all the attention, which is probably why he won't even allow his assistants to give interviews or talk to the media...what former head coach would put up with silly rules like that.

Kilyin

Reaction score
What has Dom Capers ever done besides make Houston a bigger laughing stock around the league than they already were?

bysbox1

Reaction score
Kilyin said:
What has Dom Capers ever done besides make Houston a bigger laughing stock around the league than they already were?

I just think Capers is one of those guys who is a better Assistant /Coordinator than Head Coach. Same is true with Mike Martz.

I think you will see Norv Turner, Jim Haslett, and Mike Tice head to the college ranks. I think Mike Sherman will go college too.