Shooting ourselves in the foot

Sydla

Reaction score
So it sounds like we’re in complete agreement you probably shouldn’t have disagreed with my post which you quoted in the first place.

You can stop trying to get me to take the bait when you pretend I’d said above things which I clearly did not say because it’s the only way you can pivot the point of your first reply. I’m not going to fall for that.

I'll ask a third time. Can you provide support or evidence for your claim that our penalty numbers are influenced by the fact we play more prime time games than other teams.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I’m not spinning anything at all. The standard you’re defending is “can’t think of steam that does it more.” And you’re defending it by saying we’re above average at it and pretending I’m the one spinning something. It was an overreach. It’s ok to just admit it and stop defending it. Really.
Our staff obviously is OK with penalties or they would’ve ripped March off the field by his face mask or punched the ref that called the phantom hold on Tyron that wiped out a TD. Funny, Bakhtiari can hogtie guys and never gets called for holding.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I can't think of a team that shoots themselves in the foot more than this one. This team has one of the best rosters in the league and have lost games by 1 possession in 2 of their 3 losses.

Too many costly penalties, and too many drops and turnovers in crucial situations.
Examples: Michael Gallup or Randall Cobb drop crucial passes when there isn't even anyone on them to prevent them from making the catch.
Holding calls after we make big, big third down plays or even TD's. I could go on with this.

This team isn't "outmatched" by any team in the league. They don't get beat because the opposing team is superior, they get beat/make games closer than they should be because they shoot themselves in the feet every game.

Example: Teams like the Bengals and Dolphins are outmatched. They simply don't have the talent to beat better teams.
Dallas doesn't have that problem.
Why is it that this team always shoots themselves in the foot? I know Garrett is an obvious reason, but the team and the players themselves have to realize this problem and at least try to stop it, right? Can and will this problem be fixed...?
You picked them to lose.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll ask a third time. Can you provide support or evidence for your claim that our penalty numbers are influenced by the fact we play more prime time games than other teams.

And I’ll say again that that’s you deflecting from simply backing off your original wrong take and hoping I’ll nibble at the redirection.

Sydla

Reaction score
And I’ll say again that that’s you deflecting from simply backing off your original wrong take and hoping I’ll nibble at the redirection.

It's a very simply question. In your rebuttal to me about questioning the number of penalties we have, you made the claim that our penalty numbers are negatively influenced because we play more prime time games than most teams.

That's a pretty big claim you made to try to refute the arguments being made here. It's a perfectly fair question to ask if you can back that claim up. If you can, frankly, that helps your argument here.

I had no "original wrong take". My take was simple. We commit a lot of penalties. Teams that commit a lot of penalties aren't very disciplined. You can't seemingly refute that take, other than offering up a stat/data point that our penalties are affected by playing in prime time.

Which is why it's perfectly valid to ask you if you can back up that claim. It was a vital part of your attempt to refute my claims.

So now for the fourth time, do you have evidence and data that would support your claim?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Pivot man. Troll master.

Sydla

Reaction score
Pivot man. Troll master.

This is a discussion using real data. The Cowboys commit a lot of penalties, more than most teams in the league.

Data scares you. Confuses you. Go play in the shallow end of the pool.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a very simply question. In your rebuttal to me about questioning the number of penalties we have, you made the claim that our penalty numbers are negatively influenced because we play more prime time games than most teams.

That's a pretty big claim you made to try to refute the arguments being made here. It's a perfectly fair question to ask if you can back that claim up. If you can, frankly, that helps your argument here.

I had no "original wrong take". My take was simple. We commit a lot of penalties. Teams that commit a lot of penalties aren't very disciplined. You can't seemingly refute that take, other than offering up a stat/data point that our penalties are affected by playing in prime time.

Which is why it's perfectly valid to ask you if you can back up that claim. It was a vital part of your attempt to refute my claims.

So now for the fourth time, do you have evidence and data that would support your claim?

It’s very simple attempt to redirect from the original post you quoted. I don’t blame you for trying though. Much better than just saying “my bad, you were right this time, he did overreach.”’ Maybe nobody will notice.

Sydla

Reaction score
It’s very simple attempt to redirect from the original post you quoted. I don’t blame you for trying though. Much better than just saying “my bad, you were right this time, he did overreach.”’ Maybe nobody will notice.

The only person continually redirecting here is you and it's obvious to everyone reading this thread. You made a claim, have been asked to back it up, apparently can't so you keep trying to ignore you said it and somehow make this about something I said. And that's after simply pointing out that my comment was a more general comment, that I backed up with real evidence.

So for the 5th time, can you provide the evidence to support your claim that the Cowboys penalty numbers are influenced by playing in more prime time games than other teams?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only person continually redirecting here is you and it's obvious to everyone reading this thread. You made a claim, have been asked to back it up, apparently can't so you keep trying to ignore you said it and somehow make this about something I said. And that's after simply pointing out that my comment was a more general comment, that I backed up with real evidence.

So for the 5th time, can you provide the evidence to support your claim that the Cowboys penalty numbers are influenced by playing in more prime time games than other teams?

For the 5th time, I’m not going to fall for your bait. And the posts are up above for anybody to read. You he fact that you overreached and are choosing to entrench instead of just say “my bad” and move on is on you. I’m satisfied with the exchange and don’t need to watch you spin your gears any further.

Yes, we’ve made mistakes like all teams. No, we haven’t been particularly unusual in that regard. Certainly not the worst. Either you can accept that, or you can’t. Just don’t talk out of both sides of your mouth on the topic and pretend it’s me whose changed their take.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Idk why people say this. The Vikings aren't good either.

The only difference between the Vikes and Giants is that if Dallas plays stupid, sloppy football, they might not be able to overcome it. Play clean, and Dalllas rolls over them.
you are nuts, the Vikes maybe not Elite but they have TWO- top flight WRs, a NFL Leading rusher, a QB that can get hot as cousons had 4 game strecth where he looked Elite, a great coach, and a solid defense..

it will be tough game..please dont under estimate your opponents by being blind..noone is saying the Vikes are unbeatable but they have real talent over there in all 3 phases and coaching..

Sydla

Reaction score
For the 5th time, I’m not going to fall for your bait. And the posts are up above for anybody to read. You he fact that you overreached and are choosing to entrench instead of just say “my bad” and move on is on you. I’m satisfied with the exchange and don’t need to watch you spin your gears any further.

Yes, we’ve made mistakes like all teams. No, we haven’t been particularly unusual in that regard. Certainly not the worst. Either you can accept that, or you can’t. Just don’t talk out of both sides of your mouth on the topic and pretend it’s me whose changed their take.

Not fall for the bait?

What bait? You offered up that data point with no citation. You got asked to back it up. You seemingly can't. You aren't being tricked here or baited. You are being asked a very simple question about backing up a claim YOU MADE. I didn't make you say what you did. No one did. You didn't like the actual data about penalties that was presented and as a refutation to that claim, you introduced the idea that the Cowboys penalties aren't all that high because they are negatively influenced by playing on prime time more than most teams.

You can't be surprised that you are now asked to back up a claim you made to try to counter an argument made here.

As for this bolded comment, I am not sure what "unusual" means but yes, this team does commit a lot of penalties more than 70% of the league. Only one team has more penalty yardage than we do. So yes, this team is not very good compared to the league at staying away from committing penalties.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you are nuts, the Vikes maybe not Elite but they have TWO- top flight WRs, a NFL Leading rusher, a QB that can get hot as cousons had 4 game strecth where he looked Elite, a great coach, and a solid defense..

it will be tough game..please dont under estimate your opponents by being blind..noone is saying the Vikes are unbeatable but they have real talent over there in all 3 phases and coaching..

Vikes are legit. Though there’s a good chance Theilen is out this week.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score

Nah. They're not good enough to beat Dallas if Dallas plays well.

Idgaf what they did against the JV defenses they've played the last 5 weeks.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not fall for the bait?

What bait? You offered up that data point with no citation. You got asked to back it up. You seemingly can't. You aren't being tricked here or baited. You are being asked a very simple question about backing up a claim YOU MADE. I didn't make you say what you did. No one did. You didn't like the actual data about penalties that was presented and as a refutation to that claim, you introduced the idea that the Cowboys penalties aren't all that high because they are negatively influenced by playing on prime time more than most teams.

You can't be surprised that you are now asked to back up a claim you made to try to counter an argument made here.

As for this bolded comment, I am not sure what "unusual" means but yes, this team does commit a lot of penalties more than 70% of the league. Only one team has more penalty yardage than we do.

Read above if you’ve somehow confused yourself as to the topic here. It’s all there still.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Here's a breakdown of all 32 teams penalties so far 2019........we the 2nd most total yards only behind the Raiders.

If you take out the four penalties against the Packers that were completely made up, we are middle of the pack.

Sydla

Reaction score
Read above if you’ve somehow confused yourself as to the topic here. It’s all there still.

I've read it all and the one big thing that keeps screaming here is that you tried to refute the Cowboys high penalty numbers data with a claim that the Cowboys are negatively influenced by playing in prime time. A claim that you have been asked repeatedly to back up and you can't.

Maybe you have the date or evidence to back it up. I really have no idea. I googled it and couldn't find really anything. But the fact you keep ignoring the request sure makes it seem like you made it up, pulled it out of thin air.

Sydla

Reaction score
If you take out the four penalties against the Packers that were completely made up, we are middle of the pack.

You prepared to adjust then all the teams for penalties that didn't really happen? Surely you aren't arguing the Cowboys are the only team that has had erroneous penalties called on them right?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Our mega-talented roster has been undefeated for the last decade.

Every loss has been the fault of the coaches.

If it ever looks like a player isn’t playing well you can always tie it back to a coach that didn’t prepare them properly.
Nice use of sarcasm!