Shooting ourselves in the foot

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Nah. They're not good enough to beat Dallas if Dallas plays well.

Idgaf what they did against the JV defenses they've played the last 5 weeks.

That's the thing. No one is doubting that we are "more talented" than the Vikings, however, we don't know what Dallas team will show up. Along with the slow starts, that's what may give the Vikings a leg up.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I've said this for years, It's not the fact that we shoot ourselves in the foot so much, it's speed at which we reload.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
That's the thing. No one is doubting that we are "more talented" than the Vikings, however, we don't know what Dallas team will show up. Along with the slow starts, that's what may give the Vikings a leg up.
Sure, but that doesn't make the Vikings good.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Sure, but that doesn't make the Vikings good.

The Vikings are 6-3. I don't care who you play, thats not an easy record to get. They are legit. Might give us a butt whopping in all honesty.

Im curious to know though. Who do you doubt on the Vikings team? What makes them "not good"?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The Vikings are 6-3. I don't care who you play, thats not an easy record to get. They are legit. Might give us a butt whopping in all honesty.

Im curious to know though. Who do you doubt on the Vikings team? What makes them "not good"?
Their record is very easy to get. Lose to good teams, win against bad teams.

Everything. They're the Buccaneers with a running back.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
As I sad before, the Cowboys get less from more than any team in the NFL. It's coaching and won't change until there is turnover at the HC position.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are literally one week past Carson Wentz having a shotgun snap hitting him in the hands and seeing him fumble it.

4-0 in the division and one day after a third straight sweep of the Giants in the drivers’ seat for our 4th division title in 6 years, and we’re debating whether or not we’re self-inflicting wounds at a rate higher than any other team in the league. A team that leads the lead in offense and is top 10 in defense. It’s such silly nonsense.

Sydla

Reaction score
4-0 in the division and one day after a third straight sweep of the Giants in the drivers’ seat for our 4th division title in 6 years, and we’re debating whether or not we’re self-inflicting wounds at a rate higher than any other team in the league. A team that leads the lead in offense and is top 10 in defense. It’s such silly nonsense.

And is 5-3 losing to a woeful Jets team, and playing undisciplined football in the other two losses.

A team with the #1 offense and Top 10 defense is only 5-3 and has just a one game lead on what is a mediocre Eagles team.

Why?

The answer is actually quite easy. They made a lot of mistakes and dumb penalties in those losses. 9 penalties against Jets, 7 against Saints, 11 against Pack.

You are actually supporting the notion this team is undisciplined. They have an elite offense and defense but have three losses. Why? Because of penalties and turnovers, ie, undisciplined play.

Number1

Reaction score
"Shooting ourselves in the foot"

IMO, that's the only way they have lost - fumbles, drops, and letting refs have too much influence

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
If you ask me it is the style of how this team has been managed.Sad part it ain't gonna change any time soon.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I can't think of a team that shoots themselves in the foot more than this one. This team has one of the best rosters in the league and have lost games by 1 possession in 2 of their 3 losses.

Too many costly penalties, and too many drops and turnovers in crucial situations.
Examples: Michael Gallup or Randall Cobb drop crucial passes when there isn't even anyone on them to prevent them from making the catch.
Holding calls after we make big, big third down plays or even TD's. I could go on with this.

This team isn't "outmatched" by any team in the league. They don't get beat because the opposing team is superior, they get beat/make games closer than they should be because they shoot themselves in the feet every game.

Example: Teams like the Bengals and Dolphins are outmatched. They simply don't have the talent to beat better teams.
Dallas doesn't have that problem.
Why is it that this team always shoots themselves in the foot? I know Garrett is an obvious reason, but the team and the players themselves have to realize this problem and at least try to stop it, right? Can and will this problem be fixed...?

I’m glad u noticed...

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Yeah,this is Garrett teams constant issue. No one beats Dallas more than Dallas does,and the NFL knows this. However Dallas is finding ways to overcome it with good play late to make up for it,but still....got to get that cleaned up a bit.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
This is a discussion using real data. The Cowboys commit a lot of penalties, more than most teams in the league.

Data scares you. Confuses you. Go play in the shallow end of the pool.
"Stats are for losers" - Bill Belichek. I go by wins and losses. Cowboys won ugly last night but they won. I know you were hoping for a loss, like you always do, but they won so just get over yourself.

Sydla

Reaction score
"Stats are for losers" - Bill Belichek. I go by wins and losses. Cowboys won ugly last night but they won. I know you were hoping for a loss, like you always do, but they won so just get over yourself.

You again show yourself to be the dullest knife in the drawer. If you would have read any of my posts today about the game, I was fine with the win and saw some real positives.

But unlike you, I am not a mental midget who can't also acknowledge mistakes and issues that could hurt us going forward. And one of those is penalties. We commit too many penalties and they will cost us a big game. They arguably cost us the Packers and Jets games where we racked up 20 penalties in those two games alone.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You again show yourself to be the dullest knife in the drawer. If you would have read any of my posts today about the game, I was fine with the win and saw some real positives.

But unlike you, I am not a mental midget who can't also acknowledge mistakes and issues that could hurt us going forward. And one of those is penalties. We commit too many penalties and they will cost us a big game. They arguably cost us the Packers and Jets games where we racked up 20 penalties in those two games alone.
I said the same but you dwell on the negative every day, every thread, every post. You live for the negative. You are negative.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And is 5-3 losing to a woeful Jets team, and playing undisciplined football in the other two losses.

A team with the #1 offense and Top 10 defense is only 5-3 and has just a one game lead on what is a mediocre Eagles team.

Why?

The answer is actually quite easy. They made a lot of mistakes and dumb penalties in those losses. 9 penalties against Jets, 7 against Saints, 11 against Pack.

You are actually supporting the notion this team is undisciplined. They have an elite offense and defense but have three losses. Why? Because of penalties and turnovers, ie, undisciplined play.

You really need to go back and read through the exchange more carefully. Have fun with it if you do.

cowboycannucka

Reaction score
I can't think of a team that shoots themselves in the foot more than this one. This team has one of the best rosters in the league and have lost games by 1 possession in 2 of their 3 losses.

Too many costly penalties, and too many drops and turnovers in crucial situations.
Examples: Michael Gallup or Randall Cobb drop crucial passes when there isn't even anyone on them to prevent them from making the catch.
Holding calls after we make big, big third down plays or even TD's. I could go on with this.

This team isn't "outmatched" by any team in the league. They don't get beat because the opposing team is superior, they get beat/make games closer than they should be because they shoot themselves in the feet every game.

Example: Teams like the Bengals and Dolphins are outmatched. They simply don't have the talent to beat better teams.
Why is it that this team always shoots themselves in the foot? I know Garrett is an obvious reason, but the team and the players themselves have to realize this problem and at least try to stop it, right? Can and will this problem be fixed...?

Mental toughness and keeping their head in the game would seem like reasons. The mental toughness is partly on coaching for sure. As far as head in the game and losing focus, who knows, some undigested potato perhaps. Will it be fixed? Doubtful. No question the talent is in place. Coaching? Garretts last stand.

droopdog7

Reaction score

The reason you can't think of another team that shoots themselves in the foot as much is because you don't follow other teams as closely as you do the Cowboys.

John813

Reaction score
It'll get under control once John Stephen Jones takes command of the locker room.

Piss him off and his granddaddy will fine your ***.