Shot at the 53

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
QB (2) Dak and White. Either Rush or a new QB goes to the PS. We need the spots this year and can’t afford to keep 3. Rush simply doesn’t have the arm

RB (3) Zeke, Pollard and Weber. Sadly the DJax experiment comes to an end. Chubb stays on the PS for depth

Dak and White is the hope. But White has to show more to make it happen. Rush probably still is the fallback backup QB option. I could see them keeping all three if White doesn't bomb but doesn't show enough to give them comfort about him as the backup.

Weber, Darius, and Chubb are all cut on final cuts. We'll live with whoever we lose, if any, and take two if available for the PS.

Probably *all* will be available for the PS. Jackson actually made a 53. Maybe some team in need pulls him again. But Chubb and Weber aren't going anywhere.

Weber is a 7th round RB. Nobody else wanted him in the draft. Nobody is going to falling over themselves to get him on their 53 *after* he's missed all of camp and preseason with their team.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
U ain't lying but Witten is gonna derail everything this young group put together last year. Witten right now is slow as ever and not a very good run blocker. And that was before he took a year off
I thought they were starting to gel last year. Hope he doesn't take away snaps and experience from Jarwin, Rico, and Shultz. That's how teams learn to win. Sounds like Jerry is in, "Win now," mode at almost any cost.

Questfor6

Reaction score
eventually, Wilson does bump Hurns ... he's simply a better X or Y, and I think a lot of Hurns - also I see no way Brown makes this team over Guyton

keep in mind Pollard may line up at any WR spot, and all 5 game day WRs and Pollard will be targeted every game

moreover - Cooper, Gallup, Austin, Pollard, and Guyton have blazing deep speed and exceptional hands

these guys are dangerous
Don't forget Jon'Vea Johnson he ran 4.35 at his pro day and has looked good so far through OTA's

Mr_437

Reaction score
QB (2) Dak, White
RB (3) Zeke, Pollard, Weber
FB (1) Olawale
TE (3) Witten, Jarwin, Shultz
WR(6) Coop, Gallup, Cobb, Noah, Ced, Jon'Vea
OL (9) Tyron, CWill, Fred, Zack, LC, Joe, Connor,Cam, Campos

DE (5) Law, Quinn, Taco, Armstrong, (RG)
DT (5) Woods, Collins, Craw, Covington, Hill
LB (6) Smith, LVE, Lee, Thomas, Cov, Lillard
CB (6) Jones, Chido, AB, JD, Olumba, Jackson
DB (4) Woods, Heath, Frazier, Wilson

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
QB (2) Dak, White
RB (3) Zeke, Pollard, Weber
FB (1) Olawale
TE (3) Witten, Jarwin, Shultz
WR(6) Coop, Gallup, Cobb, Noah, Ced, Jon'Vea
OL (9) Tyron, CWill, Fred, Zack, LC, Joe, Connor,Cam, Campos

DE (5) Law, Quinn, Taco, Armstrong, (RG)
DT (5) Woods, Collins, Craw, Covington, Hill
LB (6) Smith, LVE, Lee, Thomas, Cov, Lillard
CB (6) Jones, Chido, AB, JD, Olumba, Jackson
DB (4) Woods, Heath, Frazier, Wilson
Nice and short. I like it. But where's Jordan Lewis?

bodi

Reaction score
glad to see someone else does not like Austin

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Reading through these, however you slice it, we will be letting talent go that would have been starters not so long ago. Nice problem to have.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I strongly feel that our failure to address the backup QB spot could come back to bite us in the butt one day, although, sadly, the pickings aren't exactly top notch right now. I'm holding out hope that someone might become available. If not, it should help if we addressed it in 2020 and did so with a savvy vet or perhaps, one of our top 3rd or 4th round draft picks.

Neglecting to fix the backup QB spot as we have so far is flirting with disaster. Dak is and has been fortunate to avoid injuries that might have him sitting out but pushing our luck in that regard should come to a halt ASAP. Oddly enough, injuries usually seem to come to the positions that we're the weakest in. I think we'd be smart to attend to this need as soon as someone promising turns up at the right price.

Last edited:

Whyjerry

Reaction score
QB (2) Dak and White. Either Rush or a new QB goes to the PS. We need the spots this year and can’t afford to keep 3. Rush simply doesn’t have the arm

RB (3) Zeke, Pollard and Weber. Sadly the DJax experiment comes to an end. Chubb stays on the PS for depth

FB (1) Olawale. Didn’t think he would be back and then he got a 3 year deal. Hoping this means Moore figures out ways to use him

TE (3) Witten, Jarwin and Schultz. No more Rico. Hopefully our youngsters continue to develop. Otherwise we might be spending a high pick on this position next year. I also think Moore will spread it out more, so a 4th isn’t needed

WR (7) speaking of spreading it out, doing so gives us 7. Although it could be six if the team thinks they can get one of the new kids thru waivers. Tempted to cut Austin but I think he makes it
Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Brown, Wilson, Austin, one of the new kids. Just don’t see how Hurns can make the cut. And thankfully we will see the last of Leonir

OL (9) this group is subject to trade if someone calls during the summer.
Tyron, CWill, Beard, Zack, Collins, McGovern, Looney, Fleming, Hyatt

DL (9) getting to be a stout group
DLaw, Crawford (one more year), Taco, Hyder, Collins, Woods, Covington, Hill, Quinn
If Gregory gets reinstated I think they might carry 10 can cut from somewhere else. Even with 10 some real good talent might get cut. Hopefully we can do some trading

LB (6) LVE, Smith, Lee, Thomas, Covington, March-Lillard. This group could easily be 5 if they go longer elsewhere

CB (5) Jones, Chido, Brown, Lewis, Jackson.

S (4) Woods, Iloka, Heath, Wilson.

ST (3)

This actually comes out to 52. Hmmm

They like Dorance Armstrong. A lot I believe. I think he pushes Crawford (finally) off the roster. Surprised you are cutting him. Other than that this is a good list. 38 still here makes me very sad.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

FB (1) Olawale. Didn’t think he would be back and then he got a 3 year deal. Hoping this means Moore figures out ways to use him

TE (3) Witten, Jarwin and Schultz. No more Rico. Hopefully our youngsters continue to develop. Otherwise we might be spending a high pick on this position next year. I also think Moore will spread it out more, so a 4th isn’t needed

WR (7) speaking of spreading it out, doing so gives us 7. Although it could be six if the team thinks they can get one of the new kids thru waivers. Tempted to cut Austin but I think he makes it
Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Brown, Wilson, Austin, one of the new kids. Just don’t see how Hurns can make the cut. And thankfully we will see the last of Leonir

DLaw, Crawford (one more year), Taco, Hyder, Collins, Woods, Covington, Hill, Quinn
If Gregory gets reinstated I think they might carry 10 can cut from somewhere else. Even with 10 some real good talent might get cut. Hopefully we can do some trading

LB (6) LVE, Smith, Lee, Thomas, Covington, March-Lillard. This group could easily be 5 if they go longer elsewhere

ST (3)

I think that's as close as you can get pre training camp.

Injuries all come into play but no way to predict those.

LB
They've kept 7 LBs every year since going back to the 4-3 except 1 year when Rolando McClain was set to return from suspension after 4 games.

QB
Agree. Either White is ready to be #2 or he'll never be ready. No point keeping both Rush and White, IMO.

FB
Agree. Olawale is expected to get more snaps as a RB which could cause them to only carry Zeke and Pollard; although, I think it is most likely that Weber makes it.

WR
I agree that they won't carry 7 WRs all season but I wouldn't rule out that they have 7 after the initial cuts. Last year they cut veteran Deonte Thompson, then moved Brown to IR then immediately re-signed Thompson. As a veteran Thompson was not subject to waivers; therefore, they likely told him they would immediately re-sign him. This year they could do something similar if a WR has an injury issue, except the veteran cut and re-sign could come from a different position.

I also don't see how Hurns makes the cut. He made perfect sense to start last season because they didn't have Cooper and Gallup was a rookie; however, now they do have Cooper, Gallup has starting experience and Cobb is more versatile than Beasley.

RB
I'm always amazed at the talent level of players that don't make it in the NFL. D-Jax is big, fast and closer to being a legit NFL RB than the vast majority of people in the world, except the 100 or so players that will make NFL rosters at RB this year.

OL
Hyatt will have to really impress in training camp to make it. Normally, UDFAs can be retained on the PS unless they wowed in the pre-season.

TE

I wouldn't be surprised to see Rico make it as the 4th TE.

I think looking at the path of some other college basketball players (Jermey Parnell, etc..) that carved out a career in the NFL it should have been the expectation that Rico wouldn't contribute much until about year 4. Last season was basically equivalent to a normal player's rookie year with Rico's first 2 years being the equivalent of other player's college football experience.

Safety
Darian Thompson (6-2, 212) has a shot, IMO. He started 17 games over 2 years with the Giants including all 16 games in 2017. He played FS there which means he has some coverage ability but also has the size to move to SS.

CB
Agree. They are not going to trade Lewis away for a bag of beans like many are projecting. He was solid last season in the 2 games where he was the 3rd CB (Brown and Awuzie both missed 1 game). Also it was a luxury to have a solid 4th CB as the Dime DB against the Saints/Kamara.

DLine
By far the hardest position to estimate in regards to the roster. Gregory likely misses at least the first 2 games; therefore, he's not an issue for the initial cut to 53. I strongly believe that at least 1 additional young player will make the roster (Armstrong or the draft pick Joe Jackson most likely options).

If Collins stays healthy during the pre-season, as well as Woods, Covington and Hill then I don't see Crawford at DT.

At DE DLaw and Quinn are the starters. I don't see them dumping Taco. That means either Crawford or Hyder is the 4th DE and the other one is in competition with younger players for the 5th spot. If they keep 10, then either Crawford or Hyder could be considered the 5th DT and a young player would get the 5th DE spot. If they only keep 9, then it seems that Crawford and Hyder could be in competition for the 9th DL spot. It would save 6M to keep Hyder over Crawford. Marinelli loves Crawford but Stephen Jones loves cap space.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rico is probably our best blocking TE, and with the most upside. I'm not counting him out. Witten/Schultz/Jarwin are much more redundant, and I expect TE to get downplayed as we use our various "web backs" out of the slot more often.

Hurns gives us a big body possession threat for 3rd down and red zone. I expect him to stay. I don't see them picking up his option just to cut him.

The option for Hurns is not guaranteed.

They started doing option years because if the the declines the option, they are still eligible for a comp pick from that player; however, if they just signed the player to a normal 2 year contract and then cut him, they would not be eligible for a comp pick.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
U ain't lying but Witten is gonna derail everything this young group put together last year. Witten right now is slow as ever and not a very good run blocker. And that was before he took a year off
Rico is probably our best blocking TE, and with the most upside. I'm not counting him out. Witten/Schultz/Jarwin are much more redundant, and I expect TE to get downplayed as we use our various "web backs" out of the slot more often.

Hurns gives us a big body possession threat for 3rd down and red zone. I expect him to stay. I don't see them picking up his option just to cut him.

I think there a possibility that Witten gets to the end of training camp and decides he is not up to playing another NFL season.

Some local media have speculated that when Witten decided to retire, that he had in mind that he was no longer going to play all of the snaps at TE if he stayed for 2018. Witten didn't like OC Linehan and Linehan reportedly had pushed to limit Witten's snaps going forward (Linehan was one of the top advocates for dumping Dez).

Players have attempted comebacks but after some amount of time on the field, decided they just didn't have it (physically) anymore.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

ST (3)

First off, kudos on what I feel is a very good "shot at the 53", I think you're very close to how this thing will shake out (barring injury if course).

I'm not sure they can keep 7 receivers, but it's certainly a crowded field. I agree I don't see Hurns sticking, certainly not under his current contract. I think Austin's pure speed and versatility allows him to stick again this year.

I agree with you about Hyatt on the offensive line. I think they stole one, and they like him and he wants to grow and learn here. I don't think they risk exposing him to waivers.

I think they go with 10 on the defensive line, based on all of the new names brought in as well as the pending contracts for 2020. There will be lots of turnover here next year. I put Joe Jackson as my 10th.

And like you, I think Wilson takes Frazier's roster spot.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I think there a possibility that Witten gets to the end of training camp and decides he is not up to playing another NFL season.

Some local media have speculated that when Witten decided to retire, that he had in mind that he was no longer going to play all of the snaps at TE if he stayed for 2018. Witten didn't like OC Linehan and Linehan reportedly had pushed to limit Witten's snaps going forward (Linehan was one of the top advocates for dumping Dez).

Players have attempted comebacks but after some amount of time on the field, decided they just didn't have it (physically) anymore.
That what I meant as derail. He should be playing 98% of the snaps and if he has a problem with it he should leave now. He is also not looked at as the go to leader now. Dak, zeke, zach martin took the reins last year as far as leaders go when fred went down and he left. I hope he quits frfr

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That what I meant as derail. He should be playing 98% of the snaps and if he has a problem with it he should leave now. He is also not looked at as the go to leader now. Dak, zeke, zach martin took the reins last year as far as leaders go when fred went down and he left. I hope he quits frfr

I assume you mean should not be playing 98%..

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
The idea that Witten is going to hurt this team is laughable. Like high-road comedy laughable. He's a veteran TE who can block and get open and catches everything he gets his hands on. Those are all good traits. If he's playing 98% of the snaps then that says a lot about our other TEs on the roster. I expect he'll be more of a role player than top option this season.