Should a RB, including Zeke on Sunday, be called for lowering their head to initiate contact?

ESisback

Reaction score
His goal is to get as many yards or score every time he has the ball in his hands. Running out of bounds, unless it is in consideration of clock, should never be an option for anyone other than a QB.

This is football, not checkers.

He did what he should have. The rule should not be lowering the level of your head but using the crown of your helmet and dropping your head. When that happens, that is when it is dangerous for the runner and the tackler.

I’ll be the first to say that the rule changes have greatly altered the landscape, especially the subjective calls like interference and unnecessary roughness. I’ll go further, and say the timely penalties against us deleting big plays, and the odd, never used infractions being called when we’re involved, go beyond our guilt or strange coincidence. But going out of bounds is not an option? The NFL’s all time leading rusher might disagree with that!

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Are you purposely not reading posts then replying anyway?

You went back and edited your post you twit and then added on the part about “oh, you’re right he didn’t lower his head.”

What’s even funnier is you forgot to remove your original claim about Kamara lowering his his head.

“Kamara also lowered his head. But you’re right. After watching again Kamara didn’t lower his head.”

You people are so sincerely daft you can’t even get out your own way.

Last edited:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You went back and edited your post you twit and then added on the part about “oh, you’re right he didn’t lower his head.”

What’s even funnier is you forgot to remove your original claim about Kamara lowering his his head.

“Kamara also lowered his head. But you’re right. After watching again Kamara didn’t lower his head.”

LOL.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Nope.

They were saying neither play should be a flag.
Neither of these are examples of targeting. When you have 2 guys running that fast towards each other it’s inevitable that one guy may move himself slightly and the other may also.

Crying for a flag every time guys helmets touch isn’t helping.
The rule is trying to take defensive players from targeting defenseless players.
Nothing about either of these plays has Zeke, Jaylon, Kamara, Eagles DB as defenseless players.

And once again, you’re treating your made up reasoning behind the intent of the rule and acting as if it’s a fact, which is a hallmark of conspiracists.

Jaylon’s hit on Kamara was a textbook illegal helmet-to-helmet shot the league wants to do away. They missed the call point blank.

All bogus attempts to reason it away is empty because if Amari Cooper took that same shot we’d have a 30 page thread about how the league doesn’t care about Cowboy players and you and the rest of the woe is uz crowd would be weeping in each other’s arms.

Last edited:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Defender lowered his head first, so he was the one initiating with the helmet. I agree it should be called on the offensive player more often, but not in this case.

RD21

Reaction score
Thats why I'm saying it's totally debateable. I thought I heard the announcers say it was called left and right in preseason but had only been called 9 times during the regular season. Was that accurate?
Every other call has been against defenders. Zeke's "penalty" was the first time it has been called against a RB.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Defender lowered his head first, so he was the one initiating with the helmet. I agree it should be called on the offensive player more often, but not in this case.

Wait, so a defender doesn’t have the right to go low at a ball carrier’s legs to make a tackle?

The only problem on that play is Zeke lowering his head to make contact with the defender’s head.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Wait, so a defender doesn’t have the right to go low at a ball carrier’s legs to make a tackle?

The only problem on that play is Zeke lowering his head to make contact with the defender’s head.

Go low, yes, lower their head to initiate contact with the helmet? No.

It's not a helmet to helmet rule, it's initiating with the helmet, period. The defender went to do this first. Are you suggesting a runner is not allowed to defend themselves when a player is going to hit them in the legs with their head?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Every other call has been against defenders. Zeke's "penalty" was the first time it has been called against a RB.

Hunt was fined for the same hit though it wasn’t called on the field much like Jaylon’s hit on Kamara.

Secondly, if you pay attention to football as I assume we all do, then you heard about this type of penalty becoming a reality that was discussed either in the off-season of 2017 or 2018.

Either way, it’s not as if the ref made up a novel call on the spot.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
It’s a terrible rule. Running backs grow up and it’s also natural for them to want to initiate contact in certain situations so they can 1. Get extra yardage and 2. Protect themselves.

On the play in question Zeke knew the defender was going to nail him. Sometimes the best way to counter act that is to get low and initiate contact.

It’s not an attempt to hurt anyone by the running back. But their only other choice is to leave themselves wide open and then take a full shot to their chest or ribs or wherever the defender wants to hit. Which also isn’t safe for the runner.

So, I think the rule is terrible. And it’s also BS that Zeke is the first player called for it. Because I see that stuff happen every game. Which is also another reason the rule is terrible because running backs just naturally do that as part of their running.
Not true. I was a RB. I never lowered my head like Zeke did here. He knew he was going down and wanted to punish someone. And got hurt in the process. I'm perfectly fine with the call.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

Looked it up and you're right. There's now been 12 of these called with 7 of them in the past 2 weeks of games so maybe they're just cracking down lately?

Reaction score
I agree! Zeke turned into the guy to blast him, and SHOULD have been flagged. Had he lowered his head and just gone straight—THEN a flag was not the right call. Plus, he’s dumb to endanger himself, IMO. He had the first down. Just fall forward or go out of bounds!

Punishing the defenders is Zeke's style of play, he gets those tough yards, it's part of what makes Zeke, Zeke,,,, which is why eyebrows were raised when yet another league rule was issued that directly affected a star Cowboy player.

superonyx

Reaction score
The CONSPIRACY! folks usually have that covered on game day. Heck, they start before the game begins. So in all that stuff there's no need unless .... they're wrong. So I get why I have fan bois. No one likes being shown that they are hallucinating or shown to be more irrational and emotional than a woman who arrives at a party only to see another woman wearing the exact same dress. People claim to want the truth, a fairly called game, etc. until it doesn't benefit them and then they will bend reality ad nauseam to get what they want. That's where I come in with evidence and then observe what happens.
A bunch of garbage to avoid answering the question.

Name us some plays where the cowboys got the short end of the stick from the refs?
Surely in all the time you have been watching you have some?

You want to argue and troll fans of your own team. Thats pathetic.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Hey Troll has their ever been a call the refs got wrong against us?
Please give us some examples of plays where we got hurt by the refs blowing the call..

It's a dumb rule to begin with. Defenders bring nasty intentions.

Fight fire with fire- maybe that DB will think differently next time he lowers his own head going for a kill shot on Zeke's legs.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
A bunch of garbage to avoid answering the question.

Name us some plays where the cowboys got the short end of the stick from the refs?
Surely in all the time you have been watching you have some?

You want to argue and troll fans of your own team. Thats pathetic.

One of my other fan bois (you're new to the list) already named one. Bad calls happen all over the place. I'm just anti-CONSPIRACY! whining. Free country, right?

superonyx

Reaction score
One of my other fan bois (you're new to the list) already named one. Bad calls happen all over the place. I'm just anti-CONSPIRACY! whining. Free country, right?
Nice...you have a list of people you deem such big fans that they are blind. Its funny that you want to pretend these people are somehow inferior and its your job to fix them.
Whats worse...a fan bois (stupid term btw) or a troll who tries to pick fights with fans of his favorite team?

You're pathetic.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
You can argue the point about whether it should have been called since it hasn't been enforced in general but if you actually look at the video, Zeke pretty much targeted that DB to run him over by turning back towards him instead of running straight like he had been or just running out of bounds with the first down. He got himself hurt on the play too so he simply needs to stop doing it. He probably got flagged because it was unnecessary.

Elliott-S-GIF-1.gif
That's called protecting yourself.

Should he just take a shot to the ribs?

That call goes right up there with Dallas' long snapper call.

EVERY center in the league adjusts the ball.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Nice...you have a list of people you deem such big fans that they are blind. Its funny that you want to pretend these people are somehow inferior and its your job to fix them.
Whats worse...a fan bois (stupid term btw) or a troll who tries to pick fights with fans of his favorite team?

You're pathetic.

You see this is why you should allow the veins popping out of your forehead to settle before you comment. Fan bois are people who follow me around from thread to thread trying to get even for a time in the past where I probably made them look stupid (no better timing for explaining this term, lol). So it's not complimentary.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
That's called protecting yourself.

Should he just take a shot to the ribs?

That call goes right up there with Dallas' long snapper call.

EVERY center in the league adjusts the ball.

Keep reading. I'm fine with him protecting himself, not running back to the DB to make sure he levies the hit. He got hurt doing it which is why he shouldn't do it. The flag can be debated but he did spear the guy. Hope you're not on the CONSPIRACY! train.