should Barber go back to being the closer?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
YoMick;2295472 said:
Absolutely disagree.

Even in wins we are not correcting problems. Problems have been veiled/disguised/ignore because we got a W.

We have agreed and disagreed in the past.

I think you may be totally off on this. Wade probably not back next year.

So then let me get this right. According to you Garrett runs the offense and Wade has nothing to do with it you have stated this before and now we lose a game and all of a sudden it is Wade Phillips fault? OK.... It is one game my god you would think we were on a long losing streak, Dallas will re-group and will get ready for the next game thankfully they understand the world of sports that not everything goes as planned in every game and sometimes you lose it is also a part of sports but no around here people freak out any time we lose and start calling for change? Some you guys are lost

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I don't see how anyone could blame Barber for this when he was given a nice, grand, total of 8 carries. That is firmly on the shoulders of Jason for not getting him the ball.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2295484 said:
I don't see how anyone could blame Barber for this when he was given a nice, grand, total of 8 carries. That is firmly on the shoulders of Jason for not getting him the ball.

:bang2:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2295473 said:
I didn't say that, I said later in the game they should

but they should alternate Felix and Barber as the RB, and give some outside rushing and passing plays to Felix to spread the front 7 out, to take 8 men out of the box, you'll be less apt to run-blitz when you know that there's another runner who can stretch the play out wide

I'm not talking about every, other play they alternate, but at least put Felix in the backfield in the place of Barber 25% of the 1st half plays, just give the D something to think about

And Dallas may do that, I don't know how much of the offense Felix has down right now or where his weakness is at this stage. I trust that Garrett and Phillip do know after all they are the ones in the meeting rooms and practice field and while fans clearly are entitled to any opinion they want the fact is you are basing it on incomplete information unless you are there to see what they see. I also think as we continue this season Dallas will add more and more on Felix Jones.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2295487 said:
And Dallas may do that, I don't know how much of the offense Felix has down right now or where his weakness is at this stage. I trust that Garrett and Phillip do know after all they are the ones in the meeting rooms and practice field and while fans clearly are entitled to any opinion they want the fact is you are basing it on incomplete information unless you are there to see what they see. I also think as we continue this season Dallas will add more and more on Felix Jones.

RB is the easiest position to transition to, from college to the pros

and by all accounts Felix is a hard-worker and picks things up quickly

but even if he's a knucklehead, you still don't give him the ball 0 times on offense

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2295485 said:
I understand what you're saying about switching them up but I don't see the need to go out and make that change, after one loss, when it wasn't even Barber who didn't get the job done.

He had 80 yards and 2 scores in this offense against Cleveland. Likely would have had 100 had he not left early with the ribs.

He had over 100 yards total offense and a score against Philly working it this way.

He had 142 yards and a TD against Greenbay playing it just like this.

There is no reason to turn it around as if it hasn't been working this way. It's worked this way just fine for three of the four games and the one it didn't was a product of poor play calling, IMO.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like others mentioned, if the team committs to the running game, both Barber and Felix will get their touches.

I don't care who you blame. 11 attempts is pretty awful. The game was close enough throughout that they could've run the ball.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2295498 said:
I understand what you're saying about switching them up but I don't see the need to go out and make that change, after one loss, when it wasn't even Barber who didn't get the job done.

He had 80 yards and 2 scores in this offense against Cleveland. Likely would have had 100 had he not left early with the ribs.

He had over 100 yards total offense and a score against Philly working it this way.

There is no reason to turn it around as if it hasn't been working this way. It's worked this way just fine for three of the four games and the one it didn't was a product of poor play calling, IMO.

but notice esp. in the GB game, Barber was more effective later in the game

I agree though w/ you for the most part, it's just inexcusable to not give Felix a bigger time-share

idk what the hell they're saving him for, he's not a closer

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2295499 said:
Like others mentioned, if the team committs to the running game, both Barber and Felix will get their touches.

I don't care who you blame. 11 attempts is pretty awful. The game was close enough throughout that they could've run the ball.

That's very true M.

And both Phillips and Garrett deserve censure for only attempting the run 11 times-- and two of those were "gimmick" runs.

Skinsmaniac

Boycotting Snyder since 2009
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2295498 said:

In the last three games against the Commanders, Barber has 29 carries for 63 yards. It could be that Garrett lost faith in Barber and the offensive line against our front seven, not just by the way this game played out, but the last two as well.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Yeah he definitely should be when he just came off a career high in yardage and dominated the Packers :rolleyes:

khiladi

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2295387 said:
Wade's a freaking idiot at times.

In some ways he's as stupid stubborn as what Parcells was.

To not get Felix Jones any touches on offense is beyond ridiculous.

I've begun to notice this two... But Wade has that golly-schucks type attitude which doesn't disclose his stubborness...

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2295506 said:
but notice esp. in the GB game, Barber was more effective later in the game

I agree though w/ you for the most part, it's just inexcusable to not give Felix a bigger time-share

idk what the hell they're saving him for, he's not a closer

I absolutely agree that he has to get touches. Has to. You can not go an entire offensive game with him getting zero offensive touches. That is just piss poor game planning.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Skinsmaniac;2295539 said:
In the last three games against the Commanders, Barber has 29 carries for 63 yards. It could be that Garrett lost faith in Barber and the offensive line against our front seven, not just by the way this game played out, but the last two as well.

This is quite possible but you simply can't give up on it. You just can't. Even if he's only getting 40 yards on 15 carries you've GOT to run the ball just to keep the defense honest. Just to keep them knowing that you're willing to try so that they don't fall asleep on it.

Giving him 8 carries in a game is just dumb because it makes it blatantly obvious to the Skins defense that you're not even going to try to run so all they really have to do is make sure they don't get crushed in the passing game.

Poor, poor, poor, game planning.

Skinsmaniac

Boycotting Snyder since 2009
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2295638 said:
This is quite possible but you simply can't give up on it. You just can't. Even if he's only getting 40 yards on 15 carries you've GOT to run the ball just to keep the defense honest. Just to keep them knowing that you're willing to try so that they don't fall asleep on it.

Giving him 8 carries in a game is just dumb because it makes it blatantly obvious to the Skins defense that you're not even going to try to run so all they really have to do is make sure they don't get crushed in the passing game.

Poor, poor, poor, game planning.
I agree about not giving up on it. Especially when the game was still close. All I know is that I was really worried about Felix Jones this week and think that Garrett made a big mistake not getting him involved.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2295375 said:
Wade says that they don't have any, "playing from behind" plays for Felix Jones, which is kind of a stupid reasoning because the Washington lead was never insurmountable at any point in the game, well I don't envision us being ahead in every game, plus Barber has been slow to get going the past 2 weeks, and has been very effective in the closer's role for his career

we need to get Felix involved in the game early and often, so as to make sure yesterday doesn't happen again, Felix can spread that 8-men in the box out if you give him some outside the tackle plays, like simple sweeps and out passes, take advantage of his receiving skills in the middle of the field to take a LB or a S out of the box, and then as the game goes on, pair both Barber and Jones in the backfield, and then motion Jones out as a receiver, you could run a delay or draw w/ Barber, his most successful rushing plays, or take the double off Witten, and throw to him, which worked really well on our 1st TD

Barber in the closer's role has been our most effective rushing offense, let's go back to it

Here we go.

What about Barber against the Packers? How'd that work out with him getting all those touches?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
You can be a closer and a starter at the same time. You simply take their heart away from them early and keep it away.

We didn't do that. It cost us.

Emmitt Smith was a closer.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2295493 said:
RB is the easiest position to transition to, from college to the pros

and by all accounts Felix is a hard-worker and picks things up quickly

but even if he's a knucklehead, you still don't give him the ball 0 times on offense

I wanted to see him more involved as well but for what ever reason Garrett and Phillips did not put him in except for a few plays.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
khiladi;2295620 said:
I've begun to notice this two... But Wade has that golly-schucks type attitude which doesn't disclose his stubborness...

So then Wade did a great job during the 1st 3 games? You can't have it both ways of giving credit to Garrett and dismissing Phillips when things go good and then blame Phillips when they go bad. Make up your mind