should Barber go back to being the closer?

BLEU3ASY

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2295375 said:
Wade says that they don't have any, "playing from behind" plays for Felix Jones, which is kind of a stupid reasoning because the Washington lead was never insurmountable at any point in the game, well I don't envision us being ahead in every game, plus Barber has been slow to get going the past 2 weeks, and has been very effective in the closer's role for his career

we need to get Felix involved in the game early and often, so as to make sure yesterday doesn't happen again, Felix can spread that 8-men in the box out if you give him some outside the tackle plays, like simple sweeps and out passes, take advantage of his receiving skills in the middle of the field to take a LB or a S out of the box, and then as the game goes on, pair both Barber and Jones in the backfield, and then motion Jones out as a receiver, you could run a delay or draw w/ Barber, his most successful rushing plays, or take the double off Witten, and throw to him, which worked really well on our 1st TD

Barber in the closer's role has been our most effective rushing offense, let's go back to it

on 8 carries? where's the puchline bob?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;2295936 said:
So then Wade did a great job during the 1st 3 games? You can't have it both ways of giving credit to Garrett and dismissing Phillips when things go good and then blame Phillips when they go bad. Make up your mind

When I refer to SOB's stubbornness, I was talking about his continued use of the soft zone.

Philly, GB and now Washington has continually made play after play underneath because of how far off the corners are playing.

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
Felix is a big play type of guy who can score from anywhere on the field. If players like this don't have plays when we are behind then the coaching staff is beyond stupid. These are the exact type of players who have plays called for them to change momentum and possibly score quickly.

Coach Phillips comment is the dumbest thing I have heard him say this year. Maybe we should keep a list of stupid comments to send to Jerry at the end of the year... I would like to hear what Garrett has to say about the game.:(

One other comment may rival this one....when he said our defense played very good against Philly after they scored 37.

BLEU3ASY

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2295962 said:
When I refer to SOB's stubbornness, I was talking about his continued use of the soft zone.

Philly, GB and now Washington has continually made play after play underneath because of how far off the corners are playing.

what i don't like is how physical teams Db's get with our Wr's and we let other teams Wr's get a free release off the line. the D line would look so much better if you give them a couple seconds....

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2295393 said:
But I thought it was Garrett offense? This is too funny when we do great it is Jason is the man but have an off day and where is the blame on Garrett? No it falls to the HC

That's the way it always works out. Yesterday was Phillips calling the plays, didn't you get the memo? I bash them both for yesterday, Phillips is the supposed D genius and Garrett the O, they both sucked.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2296261 said:
That's the way it always works out. Yesterday was Phillips calling the plays, didn't you get the memo? I bash them both for yesterday, Phillips is the supposed D genius and Garrett the O, they both sucked.

I'm not going to waste my time bashing any of them coaches or players. We lost a game we are not in a 2 or 3 game skid. I expect this team to get back to work and get ready for the next game and rebound from this outing. Let the doubter, howler and criers have their day, I'm sure they will be singing a different tune as we move forward

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander;2295384 said:
No, that's ridiculous. I won't blame Barber because our philosophy using Jones is demented.

I have never heard of a player, no a weapon, being utilized only when we have the lead. It makes no sense and Phillips' excuse was insulting to my intelligence.

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I dont care if we're playing the '85 Bears or 2000 Ravens...giving your Pro-Bowl RB the ball only 8 times in a close game is stupid. As PacMan says, "Period. Point blank."

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;2295659 said:
Here we go.

What about Barber against the Packers? How'd that work out with him getting all those touches?

you missed the whole premise of the thread...

when teams are focusing on Barber, and are run-blitzing, you have to go to Felix Jones early to get rid of the 8 in the box, and take the double team off WItten

that and the Oline should wear the D down, and then have a steady dose of Barber to close out the game

sort of like against Green Bay

Ender

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2295375 said:
Wade says that they don't have any, "playing from behind" plays for Felix Jones, which is kind of a stupid reasoning because the Washington lead was never insurmountable at any point in the game, well I don't envision us being ahead in every game, plus Barber has been slow to get going the past 2 weeks, and has been very effective in the closer's role for his career

we need to get Felix involved in the game early and often, so as to make sure yesterday doesn't happen again, Felix can spread that 8-men in the box out if you give him some outside the tackle plays, like simple sweeps and out passes, take advantage of his receiving skills in the middle of the field to take a LB or a S out of the box, and then as the game goes on, pair both Barber and Jones in the backfield, and then motion Jones out as a receiver, you could run a delay or draw w/ Barber, his most successful rushing plays, or take the double off Witten, and throw to him, which worked really well on our 1st TD

Barber in the closer's role has been our most effective rushing offense, let's go back to it

Where you even thinking this after the packers game? Probably not, you got to get Barber the ball, and bring Felix in for about 8 carries and about 4 or 5 passing plays. Thats it because Barbers a better all a round back than Felix right now. So no, i would start Felix at all, i wouldnt even consider it at this point.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2297424 said:
you missed the whole premise of the thread...

when teams are focusing on Barber, and are run-blitzing, you have to go to Felix Jones early to get rid of the 8 in the box, and take the double team off WItten

that and the Oline should wear the D down, and then have a steady dose of Barber to close out the game

sort of like against Green Bay
If the premise of the thread is to bench Barber early in favor of having him come in later, then I didn't miss the premise.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2295487 said:
I also think as we continue this season Dallas will add more and more on Felix Jones.

Wouldn't take a whole lot to accomplish that, now would it? :bengals:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;2297597 said:
If the premise of the thread is to bench Barber early in favor of having him come in later, then I didn't miss the premise.

no, the premise is instead of giving Barber 10-12 carries to start the game, alternate him w/ Felix, like I've explained already in this thread, and then later in the game, when the D is tired, let him get the 10-12 carries

nowhere in this thread was the word "bench" uttered by me, so yes, you missed the premise

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Ender;2297582 said:
Where you even thinking this after the packers game? Probably not, you got to get Barber the ball, and bring Felix in for about 8 carries and about 4 or 5 passing plays. Thats it because Barbers a better all a round back than Felix right now. So no, i would start Felix at all, i wouldnt even consider it at this point.

this isn't about starting Felix! cripes, people

MONT17

Reaction score
Funny how 30 days ago most ppl would have wrote a sky is fallin chk little remark. The boys r a donavan mcnabb bonehead play from being 2 and 2 with 2 division loses @ home. Even crazy Ray would be worried!

Hoofbite

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2295387 said:
Wade's a freaking idiot at all times.

In some ways he's as stupid stubborn as what Parcells was.

To not get Felix Jones any touches on offense is beyond ridiculous.

Fixed

Hoofbite

Reaction score
MONT17;2298253 said:
Funny how 30 days ago most ppl would have wrote a sky is fallin chk little remark. The boys r a donavan mcnabb bonehead play from being 2 and 2 with 2 division loses @ home. Even crazy Ray would be worried!

You say this as if Dallas hasn't had to put up with some of Romos turnovers.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2297673 said:
no, the premise is instead of giving Barber 10-12 carries to start the game, alternate him w/ Felix, like I've explained already in this thread, and then later in the game, when the D is tired, let him get the 10-12 carries

nowhere in this thread was the word "bench" uttered by me, so yes, you missed the premise

So you want us to run the ball 30 times a game, since I assume you want to give the ball to Felix about 10 times if you want to see any real results? I think we ran 53 or so plays on Sunday, that would mean about 20 pass attempts for Romo. T.O. had 18 passes thrown at him alone.

I don't think our issue is who gets the ball and how many times, it's gameplanning and adjusting that plan on the fly. It seems like we decide to throw unless the running game is easy, and the running game won't always be easy but that doesn't mean you just stop. The same thing happened last year and people made excuses for the staff saying Jason was in his first season as a coordinator, well he's still doing the same thing.

The mistakes we made last week have been happening all season, but we won, so everyone told people that brought it up to shut up and stop whining.