Should Cowboys bring in free agent Nick Martin and reunite him with brother Zack Martin?

quickccc

Reaction score
The Houston Texans recently released dependable and pretty good OC/OG Nick Martin to create some salary cap room. With the questionable play Connor Williams continues to have at Left Guard, should the Cowboys bring in Nick Martin and have a looksie?

Nick Martin has experience playing Center and Guard. Tyler Biadasz shared a starting role at Center with Joe Looney. Even though Biadasz did okay, he still didn't perform as well as Looney (who is also a free agent who hopes to stick around in Dallas), and Biadasz was among one of the lowest graded starters in the NFL last season. I say resign Joe Looney on a team friendly 2 year contract and start him at Center, once again, giving Biadasz one more season to split starting snaps with him while gaining more experience for a permanent starters role for the year 2022+. That would solidify the Center position for the present and future, both starting and backup roles.

Connor Williams was fairly good half the time while struggling half of the other time once again at Left Guard. Here is where I believe the Cowboys should bring in Nick Martin, have a workout looksie and see if they can convince Nick to stay for a team friendly deal. Though Nick has experience playing Center, he can also play Left Guard which is where I would start him at over Connor Williams. Nick Martin will be turning 28 in April, and he's right in the middle of his prime playing years. Connor Williams is still fairly young (23 and turning 24 in May) to where he could backup Nick Martin at Left Guard AND Tyron Smith at Left Tackle. Left Tackle was Connor Williams natural position in college at Texas and is where he could possibly play better and be more consistent at.

If the money is agreed upon by everyone, the Cowboys could have one of the best Olines once again (both starting and backups). It could look something like this:

L. T. -- L. G. -- C. -- R. G. -- R. T.

(
STARTING OLINE)
T. Smith - N. Martin - J. Looney - Z. Martin - L. Collins

(BACKUP OLINE)
B. Knight/C. Williams - C. Williams - T. Biadasz - C. McGovern - C. Erving/C. Williams

What say you?

:popcorn:

Biadasz graded low because he did not get enough snaps to qualify among the top graded centers.
Had he not been hurt with the hamstring, it's a good chance he ranks atop, and Looney would not have regained
the starting role.

Only if Nick Martin is willing to be a cheap utility backup as a center should Looney move on.
But we already have our starting center in Biadasz, he could be an eventual pro bowler, but Nick is what you see and what you will always get.

and Cowboys are gonna be very selective and strict pennies with their FA spending. There are not gonna entertain a position where they
believe they have capable bodies to fill ...while they need money resources to vast more other team needs

Center is not a dire team need.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Biadasz graded low because he did not get enough snaps to qualify among the top graded centers.
Had he not been hurt with the hamstring, it's a good chance he ranks atop, and Looney would not have regained
the starting role.

Only if Nick Martin is willing to be a cheap utility backup as a center should Looney move on.
But we already have our starting center in Biadasz, he could be an eventual pro bowler, but Nick is what you see and what you will always get.

and Cowboys are gonna be very selective and strict pennies with their FA spending. There are not gonna entertain a position where they
believe they have capable bodies to fill ...while they need money resources to vast more other team needs

Center is not a dire team need.
Did you even read my opening post? I was referring for the Left Guard position, not Center.

quickccc

Reaction score
Did you even read my opening post? I was referring for the Left Guard position, not Center.

we've invested two high picks in two different McConners and now we're seeking a newcomer who will cost us more FA money that
can be invested elsewhere ? is this just for the sake of getting two brothers on the same Cowboys team ?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
we've invested two high picks in two different McConners and now we're seeking a newcomer who will cost us more FA money that
can be invested elsewhere ? is this just for the sake of getting two brothers on the same Cowboys team ?
Watch the video I posted in the 1st page.

Better yet, here you go...

Nick Martin fires out very well and stays low (unlike Connor Williams). Notice how by staying low and driving his legs, Nick wins most run blocking matches and pass protects very well (hence why you hardly see him getting bullrushed into the backfield or giving up any sacks (1) compared to ConnorWilliams (4)). Image him playing at Left Guard. He could perform better for us than Connor Williams does. The only 2 issues I see is if he would be willing to play for a team friendly deal and has he healed 100% from his past ankle injury?

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
The Houston Texans recently released dependable and pretty good OC/OG Nick Martin to create some salary cap room. With the questionable play Connor Williams continues to have at Left Guard, should the Cowboys bring in Nick Martin and have a looksie?

Nick Martin has experience playing Center and Guard. Tyler Biadasz shared a starting role at Center with Joe Looney. Even though Biadasz did okay, he still didn't perform as well as Looney (who is also a free agent who hopes to stick around in Dallas), and Biadasz was among one of the lowest graded starters in the NFL last season. I say resign Joe Looney on a team friendly 2 year contract and start him at Center, once again, giving Biadasz one more season to split starting snaps with him while gaining more experience for a permanent starters role for the year 2022+. That would solidify the Center position for the present and future, both starting and backup roles.

Connor Williams was fairly good half the time while struggling half of the other time once again at Left Guard. Here is where I believe the Cowboys should bring in Nick Martin, have a workout looksie and see if they can convince Nick to stay for a team friendly deal. Though Nick has experience playing Center, he can also play Left Guard which is where I would start him at over Connor Williams. Nick Martin will be turning 28 in April, and he's right in the middle of his prime playing years. Connor Williams is still fairly young (23 and turning 24 in May) to where he could backup Nick Martin at Left Guard AND Tyron Smith at Left Tackle. Left Tackle was Connor Williams natural position in college at Texas and is where he could possibly play better and be more consistent at.

If the money is agreed upon by everyone, the Cowboys could have one of the best Olines once again (both starting and backups). It could look something like this:

(
STARTING OLINE)

(BACKUP OLINE)
B. Knight/C. Williams - C. Williams - T. Biadasz - C. McGovern - C. Erving/C. Williams

What say you?

I say......you get a Max of 60 responses.
Too long, Brethren. Too long.

cristglo

Reaction score
I say you have to give him a look see and depends on what he wants $$ He is an upgrade at the G position. You also have to take into consideration the players that Nick had next to him. Anytime you can upgrade then you do it if the price is right.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score

(
STARTING OLINE)

(BACKUP OLINE)

What say you?

Wasn’t he just on a rookie contract? Or had he gotten extended to where he had to be cut for room?