Should Cowboys have paid Zeke?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This topic was influenced from a local beat writer. I felt it had some good points worthy of discussion.

aria

Reaction score
Only to fans.

He was their most important player at the time, they had no choice. But that's Jason Garrett's fault.
Lol, back to Garrett, eh? Was it JG who drafted the Ewok? Was it JG that extended his contract?

Everyone talked about how much more McCarthy would do with zeke, how's that going? If it weren’t for JG running zeke like he should have been, zeke wouldn’t have those worthless rushing titles and his gna boys wouldn't have a single stat to defend him.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
But the investment is. That could have been better spent elsewhere. You may not agree but it’s arguable.
The investment and the contract are the exact same thing, after the draft.

And yes it could have been spent elsewhere, but that doesn't mean it has cost us anything. That's a significant difference.

aria

Reaction score
This topic was influenced from a local beat writer. I felt it had some good points worthy of discussion.
Lol, I read the same article and almost said something to you about it. Kudos for giving credit even though a lot of what everyone here posts, including myself, is based off of someone else's writing.

aria

Reaction score

And yes it could have been spent elsewhere, but that doesn't mean it has cost us anything. That's a significant difference.
How does his contract not cost us anything? Or the loss of a more worthy need/player in the draft?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I felt Zeke was a needed prop for Dak at the time. I think Dak has grown beyond that need.

And I believe the investment could be better spent elsewhere. Like shoring up the defense.

Situations often evolve.

And with resigning Cooper as well my stance is we cant afford to pay Dak, Zeke and Cooper without effects throughout like on defense.

After drafting Lamb I’m not sure we should have signed Coop either.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

:yourock::yourock::yourock::welcome:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In the end we really should only have paid Dak. Especially after drafting Lamb.

This is a pass heavy offense now. We aren’t the same pound the rock offense we were in 2016.

With our OL issues I’m not sure we will be able to make the investments we need to on defense in next couple drafts.

Zeke and Coop are expensive luxuries that could limit our ability to rebuild our weaknesses more effectively.

These investments were made thinking we were a team that could contend now. But if that isn’t the case it changes everything,

Sydla

Reaction score
You're saying it was a mistake.

Based on what Future had said, yes. Future said the extension wasn't a mistake, the real issue was taking him 4th. And my point is that just because you used a 4th pick on him doesn't mean you have sign him to a big extension. If you think taking him 4th was a mistake, why compound that mistake with another?

You simply don't have to sign him long term because you drafted him high.

Sydla

Reaction score
This isn't the season I would use as a barometer. He's played at an elite level every year.

He absolutely has not. He's had two great years out of 4 (well he's not off to a hot start this year either). His best year is still his rookie year. He hasn't looked like that TB for the last few.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Based on what Future had said, yes. Future said the extension wasn't a mistake, the real issue was taking him 4th. And my point is that just because you used a 4th pick on him doesn't mean you have sign him to a big extension. If you think taking him 4th was a mistake, why compound that mistake with another?

You simply don't have to sign him long term because you drafted him high.
The contract didn't break the bank and he produced at an elite level every season. Even hit 1,000 missing games. Saying you wouldn't draft him doesn't mean an extension is a mistake.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
He absolutely has not. He's had two great years out of 4 (well he's not off to a hot start this year either). His best year is still his rookie year. He hasn't looked like that TB for the last few.
Okay

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It’s a reminder of how little attention Cowboys management was paying to the NFL landscape in the summer of 2019 when they honored Elliott’s holdout and made him the highest-paid back in the league.

The last thing any NFL team ever wants is the highest-paid back on its payroll, which is why Zeke has no trade value whatsoever. Nobody is looking to add a huge salary cap hit at the running back position for 2021 with a declining player who now can’t stop fumbling along with not being able to break runs of any consequence.

Yet here the Cowboys are because the Joneses got scared and were afraid of what might happen if they opened the 2019 season without Zeke.

The Cowboys are a franchise out of step, and now it’s running out of having anything on offense beyond some top-notch receivers and a running back whose history and contract far exceed his present value.

As time passed and Prescott developed and the Cowboys added Amari Cooper and then CeeDee Lamb, this became Dak’s offense. Elliott’s importance diminished on an almost weekly basis. He became a luxury item , a $90 million player with zero trade value.
no. zeke may have been great. maybe great. but you don't pay a RB. days of emmitt smith are over. and all we had to do was watch the rams with Gurley and how that worked out. plus, Zeke had two....TWO years left on his contract. Jones blinked. he should have let him sit out 6 games and then he would be back and he would have the upper hand.....

Diehardblues

Reaction score

I’d assume 15 million had some cost. How significant is arguable.

But I think the bigger argument is was paying him the right decision in hindsight. Which as fans we are allowed to make.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
no. zeke may have been great. maybe great. but you don't pay a RB. days of emmitt smith are over. and all we had to do was watch the rams with Gurley and how that worked out. plus, Zeke had two....TWO years left on his contract. Jones blinked. he should have let him sit out 6 games and then he would be back and he would have the upper hand.....
Yea, and why it was stated our ownership panicked.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Heath's loss has little impact on this defense. Stop.

And with the way Quinn has played in Chicago right now, the cost to reward ratio doesn't look great at this point.
I’d argue Heath and Jones departure cumulatively has had an impact. And Quinn impact should be more measured with his stats here last year not with another team this year. That’s my take anyway.

blueblood70

Reaction score
No, we can’t change the past but as fans we certainly can second guess after the fact.

its been discussed so much NO its not necessary,

Its gets old we lose and its zekes fault..idiotic fantasy land some of you live in..ITS BEEN OVERLY DISCUSSED TO NAUSIUM AND YET WONT CHANGE A THING..

ONE player one who has actually performed as advertised out side of the fumbling this season , his accumulated a 5 season production that was expected. Hes dont nothing to prove he shouldnt have been taken 4th outside of opinion and ideology..

especially given the FACT THAT KELLEN MOORE HAS DECIDED THEY WOULD GO FULL TARD PASS HAPPY and not find a better balance and utilize Zeke more...

no balance, more passing stats have led to looses not wins.. going away from zeke is not working..its a philosophy change that zekes isnt responsible for..

hes one of the only highly drafted and highly paid backs that hasn't missed games, most at the top of the list have missed seasons, Signiant games yearly and not being available is an issue zeke doesnt have.. and his blocking skills, can catch the ball etc

its not as big a mistake paying him as some argue, its a coaching staff that after zeke gets paid that go pass happy and dont know how to utilize a run game efficiently integrate to compliment the pass game..add a declining OL since 2018 and i say stop focusing on zeke and his deal and look at the rest of the team who most of which were paid very well..

Ts-huge deal misses a lot of games
LC-Big new deal lost for season
AC-big new deal disappears and loafs
JS- nice deal where the results?
Martin-cant say a lot about him but hes missing time now wit a big deal
Jarwin-resins tio nice new deal out for season game 1
TFRED-lost due to health but i believe he had big new deal..

these are the issues that make the zeke signing APPEAR a bad one but, it was NOT IMO as once you draft the guy 4th overall and he doesnt disappoint, you pay him..
they made the decison and Zekes best two years they go to the layoffs, the years he was suspended or we have changed philosophy we are losing..

JayNovacek84

Reaction score
It’s a reminder of how little attention Cowboys management was paying to the NFL landscape in the summer of 2019 when they honored Elliott’s holdout and made him the highest-paid back in the league.

The last thing any NFL team ever wants is the highest-paid back on its payroll, which is why Zeke has no trade value whatsoever. Nobody is looking to add a huge salary cap hit at the running back position for 2021 with a declining player who now can’t stop fumbling along with not being able to break runs of any consequence.

Yet here the Cowboys are because the Joneses got scared and were afraid of what might happen if they opened the 2019 season without Zeke.

The Cowboys are a franchise out of step, and now it’s running out of having anything on offense beyond some top-notch receivers and a running back whose history and contract far exceed his present value.

As time passed and Prescott developed and the Cowboys added Amari Cooper and then CeeDee Lamb, this became Dak’s offense. Elliott’s importance diminished on an almost weekly basis. He became a luxury item , a $90 million player with zero trade value.
It's crazy to pay that to a running back, you can pick up plenty of decent running backs in the draft every year.