Should cowboys have traded a 3rd round pick for Wentz?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Umm, that’s exactly what the Eagles just got for the worst QB in the league

The idea that Dak is worth less than Wentz is ludicrous

Well.. I think you’re wrong and I think you’re typical fan that is over reacting to 1 season where Wentz had a lot stacked against him..

I could be wrong though.. Maybe he sucks and he’s the worst QB in the league.. We’ll find out next season.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief...the Giants defense wasn't great. They did have a very good defensive line however. Personnel-wise I would've rather hav had the
Cowboys defense in 2007 than the Giants.
A lot of it is who gets on a roll in the playoffs.
The Giants D did that and the Cowboys faded badly late in the season and the playoffs. Injuries didn't help. Both Owens (all game) and Romo (after the 1st series) were certainly not 100%....especially Owens.

2007 was a good team, and even with the Giants D playing great, they should've won at home vs them.
Hey, 1 play with 20 seconds left away from doing just that. That should've been a win.
But they were not going to beat the Pats.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
No.
And we know Romo's stats were weird that game.
Just the next to last play by Crayton would've turned that into a 90+ passer rating, 1 TD and 0 ints.
Not even including the 3-4 other drops.

And NO WAY that Dallas team beats the Pats with freaking Eli at QB.
That D gave up 48 to the Pats earlier in the year while Eli's Giants gave up 14 in the Super Bowl.

Whether we beat the Pats or not, we should've made the Championship game that year at least.

If you're gonna blame that game on the drops, you can easily blame the game in 2018 we lost vs the Rams on that 4th and 1 conversion we didn't make with still an eternity left to play, and possibly win the game.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Should cowboys have traded a 3rd round pick for wentz?
Nathan-Fillion-reaction-gif.gif

Kwyn

Reaction score
Well.. I think you’re wrong and I think you’re typical fan that is over reacting to 1 season where Wentz had a lot stacked against him..

I could be wrong though.. Maybe he sucks and he’s the worst QB in the league.. We’ll find out next season.
Wentz had one good year. And he got hurt before he could finish.

I think there’s little or no evidence other than that portion of one season to suggest he’s superior to Dak

Proof

Reaction score
So you’re saying the reason why Romo rarely made the playoffs and when he did he struggled was because of his own defense?

nah. He shot himself in the foot plenty of times. But he was better than Eli and that defense (during that stretch) was better than any he’d ever had

CWR

Reaction score
After the 2018 season when the Cowboys could then try to extend Prescott they offered 30 mil a year which was 10 times what he was making but France told him it was less than what he would get if they waited until after the 2019 season so Prescott said he wouldn't negotiate because he need to concentrate on football to improve his game. Then after the 2019 season the Cowboys again offered that 30 mil and France rejected that because it was less that what Prescott would make if tagged and said the number was 40 mil and he wouldn't budge from that so the Cowboys had to tag him.

Sticking point was 4 years vs 5. I think we'd have been wise to take the 4 year deal. I agree though, Dak hasn't made this an easy negotiation. After 2017 I didn't want to hear about a new contract and even after 2018 we had seen enough ups and downs it seemed almost too aggressive to get a deal done. Hindsight and all...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Wentz had one good year. And he got hurt before he could finish.

I think there’s little or no evidence other than that portion of one season to suggest he’s superior to Dak

They have about the same impact on the outcomes of games..

Wentz is just far superior in upside.

Wentz whooped up on Dak pretty good in a win and in game in 2019 when we couldn’t score.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Whether we beat the Pats or not, we should've made the Championship game that year at least.

If you're gonna blame that game on the drops, you can easily blame the game in 2018 we lost vs the Rams on that 4th and 1 conversion we didn't make with still an eternity left to play, and possibly win the game.
2007 was a missed opportunity. No doubt
One of many

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
ABSOLUTELY NOT! Why is this guy even a topic on a Dallas Cowboys forum?!

Sydla

Reaction score
Who is making offers for Dak?

You would think Dallas would at least have some rumors float about after dangling him out there with no contract for so long.

Well Dak isn't on the market. Two, you would have no idea if a team called us and wanted to try to make a trade for Dak.

You are letting your Dak hatred make you say crazy things.

Sydla

Reaction score

Well since Wentz only commanded a 3rd rounder and a conditional pick and it was really only two teams interested, I think you are overestimating Wentz's value. Indy clearly has reservations about Wentz which is why the package was so light for him. I mean Matt Stafford commanded two first round picks. That should tell you what the league thinks of Carson Wentz in comparison.

Swagger

Reaction score
Those Giant teams weren’t that good. Eli made some big plays in those runs he wasn’t some bus driver. Let me guess in 2007 the Giants were so much better than the Cowboys that they had a worse record?
Giants D came up big when it needed to. They held the 16-0 Patriots to a minimal amount in the Superbowl unless Tom Brady is a JAG.

I agree that Eli made a few excellent throws but Romo would have done the same and some imo with those teams.

Eli blindly lobbed a ball in the air in the middle of the field yet his receiver made a miraculous catch using his helmet and won a Superbowl as a result. Romo threw a perfect ball to beat the Giants but rather than his receiver continuing his route for a walk in touchdown game winner he inexplicably hesitated during his route. Next play Romo threw an interception on 4th and forever with receivers covered and the narrative by some is that he's a choker. If David Tyree didn't make one of the most outrageous catches in the history of the play offs then the narrative of Manning would probably be that he's a gimp.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Well since Wentz only commanded a 3rd rounder and a conditional pick and it was really only two teams interested, I think you are overestimating Wentz's value. Indy clearly has reservations about Wentz which is why the package was so light for him. I mean Matt Stafford commanded two first round picks. That should tell you what the league thinks of Carson Wentz in comparison.

There was money involved too and the 2nd can easily turn into a 1 if he plays.

jnday

Reaction score
Who is making offers for Dak?

You would think Dallas would at least have some rumors float about after dangling him out there with no contract for so long.
I think Dak fans would be disappointed in the lack of interest from teams around the NFL. Dallas fans certainly have a higher opinion of Dak than the rest of the world.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Serious question..

Would most GMs take Wentz over Dak still? I think so.
Only one team wanted Wentz and that is why the Eagles got a third and conditional second for him. Wentz is under 4 year contract cost controlled extension and the Eagles took a record breaking dead money hit to their cap to get rid of him. I would not compare Wentz to Dak at this moment because Dak is well respected around the league while Wentz is considered a crybaby.