Should Cowboys run Zeke like they did Murray in 2014?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Should the Cowboys top brass consider running Zeke Elliott like they did DeMarco Murray in 2014- Murray’s last great year as a Cowboy?

Murray led the NFL in rushing in 2014 with a league leading 1,845 yards and had a whopping 449 total touches for the year, which also led the league. Murray had that great 2014 season at the age of 26...and he was never the same after it. 2014 was Murray’s “contract year”, and the Cowboys famously decided eventually that he would not be worth paying market value long term, so Murray left after 5 very productive seasons

The Cowboys have an interesting crossroads coming with Ezekiel Elliott after the 2020 season. Sign him to a bigger long term deal, franchise tag him (which didn’t work out well with Pitts when they tagged LeVeon Bell) or just let him walk to some other team.

I know many here will disagree with me but I’m in favor of the letting him walk option. And here are my reasons in no particular order of importance:
  • His off field behavior placed this team’s ability to count on his services in jeopardy in 2017 and maybe again this coming season. That suspension in 2017 cost this team dearly. (The most important ability a player must have is availability to play) If Zeke doesn’t grow up and stop acting like a spoiled frat brat, he’s not worth making a centerpiece to your team.
  • Although Zeke is very talented, a RBs talent fades faster than almost any other position player. Most really good RBs begin to show decline sometime after 5-8 seasons. It’s why most NFL teams don’t make the RB position worth a long term investment.
  • If a RB has a season like DeMarco Murray, where they have over 400 touches in a season, a drop off in production usually happens the following season. The 400+ touch season is historically a killer for the long term effectiveness of NFL RBs.
  • Remember Larry Johnson, Jamal Anderson, Terrell Davis, James Wilder, Eddie George? They all led the league in rushing with over 400 carries. And within a year or two fell off the performance cliff.
So let’s use Zeke over and over the next two years. Pile on the touches. Maximize his use. Ride him to a Super Bowl? Because at the end of his 5 years here, he may not be worth keeping around much longer anyway.

Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe he’s worth making a big cap commitment after 5 seasons. Maybe Zeke is an outlier. If he’s used like we did DeMarco Murray, NFL history says otherwise. (Is Todd Gurley going to be another example of the need to not make a big RB commitment?)

I respect dissenting opinions. Should we keep Zeke long term? Or should we let these next 2 years be his swan song?

Swanny

Reaction score
Should the Cowboys top brass consider running Zeke Elliott like they did DeMarco Murray in 2014- Murray’s last great year as a Cowboy?

Murray led the NFL in rushing in 2014 with a league leading 1,845 yards and had a whopping 449 total touches for the year, which also led the league. Murray had that great 2014 season at the age of 26...and he was never the same after it. 2014 was Murray’s “contract year”, and the Cowboys famously decided eventually that he would not be worth paying market value long term, so Murray left after 5 very productive seasons

The Cowboys have an interesting crossroads coming with Ezekiel Elliott after the 2020 season. Sign him to a bigger long term deal, franchise tag him (which didn’t work out well with Pitts when they tagged LeVeon Bell) or just let him walk to some other team.

I know many here will disagree with me but I’m in favor of the letting him walk option. And here are my reasons in no particular order of importance:
  • His off field behavior placed this team’s ability to count on his services in jeopardy in 2017 and maybe again this coming season. That suspension in 2017 cost this team dearly. (The most important ability a player must have is availability to play) If Zeke doesn’t grow up and stop acting like a spoiled frat brat, he’s not worth making a centerpiece to your team.
  • Although Zeke is very talented, a RBs talent fades faster than almost any other position player. Most really good RBs begin to show decline sometime after 5-8 seasons. It’s why most NFL teams don’t make the RB position worth a long term investment.
  • If a RB has a season like DeMarco Murray, where they have over 400 touches in a season, a drop off in production usually happens the following season. The 400+ touch season is historically a killer for the long term effectiveness of NFL RBs.
  • Remember Larry Johnson, Jamal Anderson, Terrell Davis, James Wilder, Eddie George? They all led the league in rushing with over 400 carries. And within a year or two fell off the performance cliff.
So let’s use Zeke over and over the next two years. Pile on the touches. Maximize his use. Ride him to a Super Bowl? Because at the end of his 5 years here, he may not be worth keeping around much longer anyway.

Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe he’s worth making a big cap commitment after 5 seasons. Maybe Zeke is an outlier. If he’s used like we did DeMarco Murray, NFL history says otherwise. (Is Todd Gurley going to be another example of the need to not make a big RB commitment?)

I respect dissenting opinions. Should we keep Zeke long term? Or should we let these next 2 years be his swan song?
Yes run him into the ground. Chew him up and spit him out.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think 2 different situation Murray had a long history on knee injuries dating back to OU. I think Dallas was not going to give a big increase to a RB who missed a lot of games even with the Cowboys. Zeke has never had any serious injury even in college and has stayed healthy with the Cowboys. Only games he has missed was due to what I felt was an unfair suspension and of course 2 week 17 games when division was already wrapped up.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'd ride his contract out at this point. As the #4 overall pick in his draft, he's already been well compensated from day one. And the fifth-year option isn't cheap either.

The fact is that this team and running game has been built via the offensive line, not any single running back.

That's why Murray led the league and set franchise rushing records, and was allowed to leave.

It's why a bust in Darren McFadden revitalized his career and was the #4 rusher the lone year he started here (after the Randle debacle).

And it's why Elliott has led the league in rushing every full season he's played.

The running game is bigger than any single running back.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd ride his contract out at this point. As the #4 overall pick in his draft, he's already been well compensated from day one. And the fifth-year option isn't cheap either.

The fact is that this team and running game has been built via the offensive line, not any single running back.

That's why Murray led the league and set franchise rushing records, and was allowed to leave.

It's why a bust in Darren McFadden revitalized his career and was the #4 rusher the lone year he started here (after the Randle debacle).

And it's why Elliott has led the league in rushing every full season he's played.

The running game is bigger than any single running back.
Well said.

John813

Reaction score
If he is being effective on the ground, sure. Ride the option that is successful.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m hoping JJ and Stephen no longer believe in the outdated offensive “Triplets” method of team building where you have long term commitments to QB, RB, and WR. IMO, If Dak and Cooper are signed long term, it makes Zeke’s re-signing less attractive for long term cap management.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not just Elliott, I would run the legs off any RB in his 1st contract and not extend any RB in history, even the great Jim Brown or Sweetness.

There are just too many good RB's coming out each season and that is the easiest position to transition to the pro level as a rookie.

The game is no longer is run through the RB as it was back in Emmitt's day with at least 55% run calls and up to 60% in Dorsett's time. The game is no longer about TOP but POP, Points Off Possessions and the scoring levels in today's game bear that out. However, teams that can run when they need to fare a lot better as we saw in the SB.

It stands to reason that the RB position would move up on the salary scale but that is a slippery slope and to use this back's lack of injury history playing an oft injured position is playing with time. He does not run like Emmitt did to protect himself. I have actually never seen a RB better at avoiding the big hit than Emmitt was and I would be amazed at how important inches were when a headhunter come over him by just a couple of inches.

The money that would go to Elliott in a new contract needs to be put in the run game but up front, not in the RB. The OL is the single most important element of any team, even as important as the QB because they make everything work.

I would not specifically design the offense or call the plays to max out his legs, just call the normal game and if he's hot, ride him as long as the game is close. The other thing I would do with him is get him into more pass plays and get him out in space so, I would increase his touches with the pass. I like these two RB picks but at this point we don't know how effective they will be and we do know he can play.

My bottom line is watch that skill position level with the cap. This team is looking like it's going to be top 5 at QB and WR, which could be a problem but they add RB to that? Show me the team in the cap era that did anything with cap distribution like that. I know the Elliotteers don't want to part with their guy but neither do the Daksters or Cooperettes. And you can add the Tankers to that as well. "Pay the man" gets thrown around indiscriminately here a lot. They can "pay the man" until they can't field the team that can compete. And any team that gets too much into too few players better be the healthiest team in the league.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This offense was pretty balanced last season I think we only passed the ball like 30 or 40 more times in the entire season. I would love to know how balance other teams were in comparison. We don't put the ball in quarterbacks hands I think as often as other teams do. I don't think we wanted to overexpose the young defense space. so the running game was way more important to us. It's definitely going to see how this new offensive mindset Works before I would do anything with Elliott personally

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not just Elliott, I would run the legs off any RB in his 1st contract and not extend any RB in history, even the great Jim Brown or Sweetness.

There are just too many good RB's coming out each season and that is the easiest position to transition to the pro level as a rookie.

The game is no longer is run through the RB as it was back in Emmitt's day with at least 55% run calls and up to 60% in Dorsett's time. The game is no longer about TOP but POP, Points Off Possessions and the scoring levels in today's game bear that out. However, teams that can run when they need to fare a lot better as we saw in the SB.

It stands to reason that the RB position would move up on the salary scale but that is a slippery slope and to use this back's lack of injury history playing an oft injured position is playing with time. He does not run like Emmitt did to protect himself. I have actually never seen a RB better at avoiding the big hit than Emmitt was and I would be amazed at how important inches were when a headhunter come over him by just a couple of inches.

The money that would go to Elliott in a new contract needs to be put in the run game but up front, not in the RB. The OL is the single most important element of any team, even as important as the QB because they make everything work.

I would not specifically design the offense or call the plays to max out his legs, just call the normal game and if he's hot, ride him as long as the game is close. The other thing I would do with him is get him into more pass plays and get him out in space so, I would increase his touches with the pass. I like these two RB picks but at this point we don't know how effective they will be and we do know he can play.

My bottom line is watch that skill position level with the cap. This team is looking like it's going to be top 5 at QB and WR, which could be a problem but they add RB to that? Show me the team in the cap era that did anything with cap distribution like that. I know the Elliotteers don't want to part with their guy but neither do the Daksters or Cooperettes. And you can add the Tankers to that as well. "Pay the man" gets thrown around indiscriminately here a lot. They can "pay the man" until they can't field the team that can compete. And any team that gets too much into too few players better be the healthiest team in the league.
Great post.

The RB position in today’s NFL would probably not be valued within the top 7 positions worth expending big cap space to. And the game as it has evolved no longer requires a team to have a workhorse back. As NE has exhibited year after year, you can have a great running game when you need it, without requiring a top tier RB as your centerpiece.

In the time Zeke has left here, there are so many ways they could use him that has never been seen in our “Coach Vanilla” offense. I’m hoping our Whiz kid OC can at the very least find some creative ways to use Zeke’s talents before he’s gone.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
I’m hoping JJ and Stephen no longer believe in the outdated offensive “Triplets” method of team building where you have long term commitments to QB, RB, and WR. IMO, If Dak and Cooper are signed long term, it makes Zeke’s re-signing less attractive for long term cap management.

Agreed, and I like the fact that the emphasis has evolved a bit toward paying for blue chip OL.

Zeke is highly talented, but would seek the highest contract (IMO), based on that ego.

So, get what you can, and let him walk.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think 2 different situation Murray had a long history on knee injuries dating back to OU. I think Dallas was not going to give a big increase to a RB who missed a lot of games even with the Cowboys. Zeke has never had any serious injury even in college and has stayed healthy with the Cowboys. Only games he has missed was due to what I felt was an unfair suspension and of course 2 week 17 games when division was already wrapped up.

This is where the Elliott and Murray comparisons diverge. There were clear health risks for Murray that made determining his long-term value difficult. The fact that he only played three more years in the league before the wheels fell completely off proves the legitimacy of those concerns (although he did play in at least 15 games all three of those seasons). Murray missed games while he was with us in all but his fourth season.

I don't believe that Elliott has missed a game because of injury. The fact that he has missed some because of suspension, though, does give me pause for reupping him before we have to, especially since he's already having to go before the commissioner again because of a poor choice.

As far as running him like Murray goes, Elliott had 381 touches last season and I think that's about what he can handle considering that he pulled himself from games when he needed a break. (Consider also that he did not play in Week 17 because we didn't need him, so that would probably have been another 25 to 30 touches.) I don't think we change anything other than maybe giving him more designed breaks by using Pollard on clear passing third downs (if Pollard looks as good as he's supposed to in that role).

Elliott may be one of those backs who has a long career. The next two years should show if he can continue the pace he is on. If he can, then I can't see taking the risk that we can just find a replacement for what he produces. I don't think that should preclude us from cycling in backs in the later rounds of the draft to try to find someone who can be handed the torch (if neither Pollard or Weber look to be that guy).

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ezekiel Elliott takes himself out of the game more than I like.. I don't think he's a focused running back. I think you could be the best running back this league has ever seen and I am a huge fan of sweetness. If I'm paying top money for a player I want him physically and mentally sound. And I don't see him being both.

aria

Reaction score
Not being sarcastic, I agree his first suspension was unfair but he hasn’t shown the discipline yet to alleviate any worries that he can stop being an idiot. He’s probably in NY right now. His behavior since the suspension is a legitimate concern for missing more games.

I know Jerry thrives on coddling players with behavioral issues but if they by some miraculous chance let him walk they would hardly be the first team to do that with one of their best players, happens every year and teams move on.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great post.

The RB position in today’s NFL would probably not be valued within the top 7 positions worth expending big cap space to. And the game as it has evolved no longer requires a team to have a workhorse back. As NE has exhibited year after year, you can have a great running game when you need it, without requiring a top tier RB as your centerpiece.

In the time Zeke has left here, there are so many ways they could use him that has never been seen in our “Coach Vanilla” offense. I’m hoping our Whiz kid OC can at the very least find some creative ways to use Zeke’s talents before he’s gone.
Agree and that was the reason I had no problem with a RB, like him, at the #4 pick. Elliott was a like a younger Emmitt to me. He could do it all and his college HC said he was the best RB without the ball he'd ever seen.

Emmitt made some great plays but right up there with those plays were those blocks he made to give his QB just a smidgeon more time.

When Elliott came out, he was considered as good a pass option as run but I do not think they've ever exploited that fully and I think he's actually better at that than Emmitt was and he was great.

Elliott should be used just as Faulk, Fred Taylor, Thurman Thomas were and Kamara is. When the Saints play on O, watch the D's get antsy with Kamara, they can't relax. It's just like when Faulk played and the D's were nervous and his presence opened up that air attack and Fred Taylor did the same thing for Brunell, just like Kamara does for Brees.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is where the Elliott and Murray comparisons diverge. There were clear health risks for Murray that made determining his long-term value difficult. The fact that he only played three more years in the league before the wheels fell completely off proves the legitimacy of those concerns (although he did play in at least 15 games all three of those seasons). Murray missed games while he was with us in all but his fourth season.

I don't believe that Elliott has missed a game because of injury. The fact that he has missed some because of suspension, though, does give me pause for reupping him before we have to, especially since he's already having to go before the commissioner again because of a poor choice.

As far as running him like Murray goes, Elliott had 381 touches last season and I think that's about what he can handle considering that he pulled himself from games when he needed a break. (Consider also that he did not play in Week 17 because we didn't need him, so that would probably have been another 25 to 30 touches.) I don't think we change anything other than maybe giving him more designed breaks by using Pollard on clear passing third downs (if Pollard looks as good as he's supposed to in that role).
One other big difference between Murray and Elliott- DeMarco Murray was a leader in the locker room. He was one of the most respected guys on the team, had an exemplary work ethic, and was never an off the field risk for behavior.

Zeke works hard but going into year 4 of his time here, because of his lack of maturity, I seriously doubt he would be thought of in this locker room as one of this team’s real leaders. I’m sure his talent is respected and appreciated. And he’s probably a pretty fun guy to hang with when he’s not wasted. But I seriously doubt he’s carrying the respect his teammates have for guys like Tank, T-Fred, Sean Lee, Tyron Smith, Tyrone Crawford and even Dak. Zeke has a long way to go as a man before the word “leader” could be associated with his name.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
I agree. Give Zeke 450 carries, maybe even 500. Then when the offseason hits, offer him something low - rich that he'll still be rich for life, but not extravagant money. Then if he wants to walk, walk.