Should Cowboys run Zeke like they did Murray in 2014?

HoplessCowboysFan36

Reaction score
I'd ride his contract out at this point. As the #4 overall pick in his draft, he's already been well compensated from day one. And the fifth-year option isn't cheap either.

The fact is that this team and running game has been built via the offensive line, not any single running back.

That's why Murray led the league and set franchise rushing records, and was allowed to leave.

It's why a bust in Darren McFadden revitalized his career and was the #4 rusher the lone year he started here (after the Randle debacle).

And it's why Elliott has led the league in rushing every full season he's played.

The running game is bigger than any single running back.

I know we have a hell of a oline still, but they have not been has good the past two seasons. Zeke is an elite RB behind any oline. Hes the best when he is behind ours.
Not to mention he runs against stacked boxes all game long, with a playbook made out of papyrus paper...

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Absolutely, I agree with you that it's not as easy as some people make it out to be. Those I listed are really best case scenarios. I just eer on the side or caution with Zeke and his off the field issues.

It's not just the off-the-field issues for me. A lot can happen in two years at any position, especially one where a player is a workhorse. The only positives I can see for extending him now are that you get him a little cheaper and he's more likely to be able to play out the contract.

That first positive doesn't really mean much because rising salaries go along with a rising cap. We've got him for $7 million this year and $9 million next year, and we're not going to do better than than.

The second positive doesn't really mean that much either because most contracts are set up where if you cut the player on the back end, you end up breaking even or saving cap dollars.

I'm also OK with franchising him for a year or two instead of going long-term. You tag him twice or even three times and you've gotten seven to eight years out of a running back. The main negative with that is how much the tag goes up each time. Then, there is the possibility that Elliott would refuse to accept it.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The real question is, how long until Zeke gets in trouble again?
He has become unpredictable. Hoping this last incident is the last one. If he truly uses the things the NFL provides to its players along with what JJ provides for his players then he will be fine.

erod

Reaction score
He has become unpredictable. Hoping this last incident is the last one. If he truly uses the things the NFL provides to its players along with what JJ provides for his players then he will be fine.
It bought Jerry another year.

Zeke said he wanted a new deal asap.

Ain't happening.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
He's paid HANDSOMELY to RUN the football. That is his job. You run him until it's time to put him to pasture...not being a d** here, but his title is running back, not sit on the sidelines and watch back...

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Everyone talks a bout the triplets, the triplets the triplets, but it's pretty sad because that 90's team was much more than that. A great team not just 3 great players. If you're building a team you need much more than a quality QB, RB, WR combo. Nice to have but just part of the puzzle.
That is how I see it, but thought I was the only one.
The defense and special teams are almost totally ignored as far as credit goes.
Novachek and D. Johnston too.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The thought of not using a player with the hopes of extending his career is lame. Use the best ammo you got, then reload.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
He's paid HANDSOMELY to RUN the football. That is his job. You run him until it's time to put him to pasture...not being a d** here, but his title is running back, not sit on the sidelines and watch back...
lol .... He only makes 4 mil a year, so that is only $2857.00 per yard !!!! Cant expect a lot for that kind of pay.