Should Cowboys treat Parsons like a RB?

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Should Micah be treated like a RB in that the Cowboys should let him play out his contract and move on from him when it's up?
He is taking a pounding playing as an undersized DE and that is and will result in his body breaking down.
His tailoff as each season ends is obvious due to his body not being able to hold up at the same level from the beginning and teams are scheming him up knowing that he can be handled/eliminated certain ways.
I think he can still be very effective but if the Cowboys extend him, that would be about a 5-6 year contract at the highest paid level. He may have 2 or 3 more peak years left but not for 4-6 years.
Some of yall have a thinking problem.

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
Why would you walk away from one of the most valuable players in the league? Even if you're worried about him holding up long term, you can still trade him for high draft picks at any point over the next three-ish years (rookie deal, fifth year option, franchise tag).

If you have concerns about signing Parsons long term for any reason, that's the way to do it. You don't just let him walk to maybe get a third-round comp pick in two years.

Either way, I would expect Parsons to be a Cowboy until at least 2027. If his body starts breaking down by then, you'll know.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
XxaGaX4.gif

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
No, you have to get a return on your investment. Statistically he's the most effective pass rusher in the game. Being on his rookie contract, he's the most valuable asset we have. Herschel Walker trade or re-sign him. Double up on the franchise tag if necessary but you absolutely don't let him walk for nothing.

visionary

Reaction score
Parsons is a great talent who needs a dose of maturity. Unfortunately this team lacks that in spades which is a calling card of the Jones culture, lack of maturity

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
That gives me an idea:
Move him to RB on 1st and 2nd down and pass rusher on 3rd down. :rolleyes:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Don’t know what it is with so many of you wanting to move on from great players. The Cowboys aren’t moving on from Parsons. He’s one of the greatest players the organization has ever drafted. Our defense went from a complete joke in 2020 to a respectable unit in one season after drafting him. He puts butts in the seats and his jersey’s sell like hot cakes. He’s one of the players that keeps everyone talking about the Cowboys. He’s not going anywhere.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Should Micah be treated like a RB in that the Cowboys should let him play out his contract and move on from him when it's up?
He is taking a pounding playing as an undersized DE and that is and will result in his body breaking down.
His tailoff as each season ends is obvious due to his body not being able to hold up at the same level from the beginning and teams are scheming him up knowing that he can be handled/eliminated certain ways.
I think he can still be very effective but if the Cowboys extend him, that would be about a 5-6 year contract at the highest paid level. He may have 2 or 3 more peak years left but not for 4-6 years.
This is actually a great question.

For many years, certain positions, like RB, have been treated as fungible and, for practical purposes interchangeable. A few positions however, like QB, LT and pass rushers, have historically been treated as unique and critical to a team's success.

Your view is that Parsons, while supremely talented, takes a pounding as a pass rusher and may have a relatively short run-way. In that regard, I would definitely explore trading Parson before the end of his current contract

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think people that advocate trading foundational pieces for picks are they type of people that buy scratch offs every day and think they are winning money

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I think people that advocate trading foundational pieces for picks are they type of people that buy scratch offs every day and think they are winning money
I bet you flipped the table when Jimmy traded Walker. I will be honest here. I loved Walker. One of my favorite players ever. I learnt a valuable lesson that day. Do you need a reminder of how that trade finished?

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I am not even saying we should trade him. Parsons is an absolutely incredible talent and IMHO single handedly made our defense into something half way decent. Having said that we are in a bit of a lull in case you didn't notice. We kind of need to do something. Parsons is gonna sign an enormous deal and he deserves it. The question you need to ask yourself is if we sign him to the deal are we going to be good enough to capitalize? Would we be better off with two quality first round picks and 30 million per year in cap space to sign free agents.

If I was a pass rusher away from wining it all I would trade two picks for parsons and go for it. IMHO we are not a pass rusher away. We have many many holes to fill. Lets fill as many holes as we can, stock pile good young players and put ourselves in a position to be thw ones who are a player away.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I bet you flipped the table when Jimmy traded Walker. I will be honest here. I loved Walker. One of my favorite players ever. I learnt a valuable lesson that day. Do you need a reminder of how that trade finished?
That was over 30 years ago

That trade also changed the way teams value picks. No trade made since is a relevant comparison

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Completely different circumstances ....... Hershel was almost 30, and that team was 7-9, 7-8, 3-13, 1-15 with a new coach.

exciter

Reaction score
I would be willing to get trade offers, but other teams may be hesitant knowing that he will require a massive Contract and that they would be on the hook for the same reasons/concerns mentioned above.
That would make it hard for the Cowboys to get a massive haul.
well ****, why don’t they make him a cheerleader. Short shorts, boots and Pom poms… the whole shebang. They could let people pay to kiss him and…

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
My gosh this undersized DE stuff is a bunch of crap and it’s like you think it’s 1995 and he plays football like a traditional DE.

He’s Von Miller. The quicker some of you realize that the quicker we can get away from the stupidity.

He’s not undersized at all for what he does.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Accurate but he has a point.

How much of Micah's game is based off of freakish athleticism?

How long does freakish athleticism last?

That said, don't let him go for nothing. Trade him and get something back.
Most of it..

He doesn’t have good linebacker instincts. It doesn’t look natural.

He switched to DE and instantly played at a level that’s some of the best the NFL has ever seen.

This isn’t complicated.