Should Cowboys treat Parsons like a RB?

TheCritic

Reaction score
Don’t know what it is with so many of you wanting to move on from great players. The Cowboys aren’t moving on from Parsons. He’s one of the greatest players the organization has ever drafted. Our defense went from a complete joke in 2020 to a respectable unit in one season after drafting him. He puts butts in the seats and his jersey’s sell like hot cakes. He’s one of the players that keeps everyone talking about the Cowboys. He’s not going anywhere.
I agree he's not going anywhere. But I don't have to like the all likelihood of Parsons, the player who disappears in the biggest games, getting paid a ridiculous contract. Funny how so many Cowboys fans went from wanting Parsons out of town after the Packers game to mindlessly rehyping him as a generational player once again.

SHAMSzy

Reaction score
Should Micah be treated like a RB in that the Cowboys should let him play out his contract and move on from him when it's up?
He is taking a pounding playing as an undersized DE and that is and will result in his body breaking down.
His tailoff as each season ends is obvious due to his body not being able to hold up at the same level from the beginning and teams are scheming him up knowing that he can be handled/eliminated certain ways.
I think he can still be very effective but if the Cowboys extend him, that would be about a 5-6 year contract at the highest paid level. He may have 2 or 3 more peak years left but not for 4-6 years.

sarcastic-laugh.gif

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
how, put him as the RB and make him carry the anchor? I'm all in on it if this limits int's.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Move on from a generational talent instead of re-signing or trading for premium draft picks? Very smart!
Exactly. I see a very valid argument for trading him, but to just let him walk at the end of his rookie deal? That would be an offense of the highest magnitude.

HanD

Reaction score
Ignoring the weird RB analogy, Parsons has not earned the "generational talent" award just yet. But it's not all Parsons fault. Everybody seems to think that Parsons should primarily be a pass rusher, but we've seen the results the last couple of seasons. He wears down going up against OL all the time. But there's also Parsons himself, the immaturity, the sense of entitlement. Personally I wouldn't pay him franchise QB money, but I accept that the Cowboys are going to do it anyway.
I'll only disagree with one point. Even being used solely as a pass rusher which limits and wears him down, he's the second person ever with Reggie White to get more than 13 sacks each of his first three years. There pro bowls and three all pros (2 first team,1 second team)He's more generational talent than others cause we do hear that term too much.

HanD

Reaction score
Most of it..

He doesn’t have good linebacker instincts. It doesn’t look natural.

He switched to DE and instantly played at a level that’s some of the best the NFL has ever seen.

This isn’t complicated.
He's inexperienced at lb but people overplay that he's avg at it. His first year at lb ever at PSU he lead the team in tackles. His second he was all American. He needs more seasoning there but he could be all pro there. Instead of just having him go against dudes 80lbs heavier and the offense knowing where he is and what he'll do. I think he'd be more effective like his rookie year. Move him around letting him blitz from lb but then pass rushing on passing downs.

TheCritic

Reaction score
I'll only disagree with one point. Even being used solely as a pass rusher which limits and wears him down, he's the second person ever with Reggie White to get more than 13 sacks each of his first three years. There pro bowls and three all pros (2 first team,1 second team)He's more generational talent than others cause we do hear that term too much.
I personally don't care about stats like that. What matters to me is the timing of making game-changing plays. For example, I would still take Charles Haley over Parsons or DeMarcus Ware any day of the week and it's not even close. Haley didn't get nearly the sacks and wasn't near the athlete of Parsons or Ware, but in terms of wrecking the offense, making game-changing plays, and getting into the heads of QBs, nobody outside of LT was better than that. That's what I'm looking for!!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He's inexperienced at lb but people overplay that he's avg at it. His first year at lb ever at PSU he lead the team in tackles. His second he was all American. He needs more seasoning there but he could be all pro there. Instead of just having him go against dudes 80lbs heavier and the offense knowing where he is and what he'll do. I think he'd be more effective like his rookie year. Move him around letting him blitz from lb but then pass rushing on passing downs.
He’s more inexperienced at Defensive end, or so he was, and he became a premiere player at a more valuable position.

Again… This isn’t difficult.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
And the Chargers are reportedly looking to trade Mack and are even open to moving Bosa.
GMs tend to learn from their own and their peers’ mistakes. No one is giving up two 1sts and two 2nds for any NFL player. Especially one that thinks he’s worth $30 million.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don’t know what it is with so many of you wanting to move on from great players. The Cowboys aren’t moving on from Parsons. He’s one of the greatest players the organization has ever drafted. Our defense went from a complete joke in 2020 to a respectable unit in one season after drafting him. He puts butts in the seats and his jersey’s sell like hot cakes. He’s one of the players that keeps everyone talking about the Cowboys. He’s not going anywhere.
Exactly right.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Should Micah be treated like a RB in that the Cowboys should let him play out his contract and move on from him when it's up?
He is taking a pounding playing as an undersized DE and that is and will result in his body breaking down.
His tailoff as each season ends is obvious due to his body not being able to hold up at the same level from the beginning and teams are scheming him up knowing that he can be handled/eliminated certain ways.
I think he can still be very effective but if the Cowboys extend him, that would be about a 5-6 year contract at the highest paid level. He may have 2 or 3 more peak years left but not for 4-6 years.
I understand your concerns, but he would need to be traded vs getting a comp pick.

HanD

Reaction score
He’s more inexperienced at Defensive end, or so he was, and he became a premiere player at a more valuable position.

Again… This isn’t difficult.
He's always played de from hs. He only started learning and playing lb at PSU.