Should Dallas have had any interest in WR Corey Coleman?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
We have enough JAGs at receiver now.

Not that some of ours might not develop into good receivers, but picking up another unknown to replace an unknown is just pointless...

tm1119

Reaction score
We have enough JAGs at receiver now.

Not that some of ours might not develop into good receivers, but picking up another unknown to replace an unknown is just pointless...

That seriously made sense in your brain as you typed it?? How could more competition possibly be a bad thing?
In the situation we are in the philosophy is throw a bunch of stuff at the wall during camp and see what sticks. Coleman for a 7th round pick would have been the ideal situation if anything, a lot of talent at very little cost.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
That seriously made sense in your brain as you typed it?? How could more competition possibly be a bad thing?
In the situation we are in the philosophy is throw a bunch of stuff at the wall during camp and see what sticks. Coleman for a 7th round pick would have been the ideal situation if anything, a lot of talent at very little cost.

Hey thanks for the insulting language, that really gets your point across right? NOT! But hey, that's okay, an insult is like a drink, it only affects you if you accept it.

Which I don't.

How many receivers can you realistically expect to be able to throw to? There are only so many passes available, only so many practices. You have tight ends that will get passes. You have backs that will get passes. Just not enough time to evaluate and work out too many receivers.

And the Cowboys are very unlikely to give up Hurns, Beasley, TWill or Gallup. Maybe 3 spots left. Those guys are locked in, barring injury. Are you going to let Gallup go? A third round pick that many thought would should have gone higher, and who is having a very good camp? Lenoir? That's great, put 2 years work in on him and just train him for another team. How about Thompson and Austin and Wilson? Just got them, which do you reduce throws to to give them to Coleman?

Look competition is fine, but you have to look at the numbers, too. Coleman had a catch rate of 45 and 39% his two years in the league. Cleveland only got a SEVENTH round pick for him. He's been hurt a lot. And do you really think the Cowboys didn't know about his possible release? There's few secrets in the NFL, very likely Cleveland had already contacted Dallas about him.

But that's fine, let's just grab every free agent on the planet, we've done soooooo well with those lately, right?

Your post is your opinion, no problem. But unless you're a long time NFL scout or receivers coach, quit acting like someone else is a blithering idiot...

tm1119

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the insulting language, that really gets your point across right? NOT! But hey, that's okay, an insult is like a drink, it only affects you if you accept it.

Which I don't.

How many receivers can you realistically expect to be able to throw to? There are only so many passes available, only so many practices. You have tight ends that will get passes. You have backs that will get passes. Just not enough time to evaluate and work out too many receivers.

And the Cowboys are very unlikely to give up Hurns, Beasley, TWill or Gallup. Maybe 3 spots left. Those guys are locked in, barring injury. Are you going to let Gallup go? A third round pick that many thought would should have gone higher, and who is having a very good camp? Lenoir? That's great, put 2 years work in on him and just train him for another team. How about Thompson and Austin and Wilson? Just got them, which do you reduce throws to to give them to Coleman?

Look competition is fine, but you have to look at the numbers, too. Coleman had a catch rate of 45 and 39% his two years in the league. Cleveland only got a SEVENTH round pick for him. He's been hurt a lot. And do you really think the Cowboys didn't know about his possible release? There's few secrets in the NFL, very likely Cleveland had already contacted Dallas about him.

But that's fine, let's just grab every free agent on the planet, we've done soooooo well with those lately, right?

Your post is your opinion, no problem. But unless you're a long time NFL scout or receivers coach, quit acting like someone else is a blithering idiot...

Sorry, didn’t realize you were so sensitive...you should see the way I talk to my friends about sports. If you were a friend I would have ACTUALLY insulted you.

But anyway...it’s training camp we are talking about. There’s no such thing as too many bodies, especially at a position where we are going to keep 5, maybe 6 guys, + practice squad players. And Totally disagree on TWill, he may end up making the roster but I don’t think he is a lock whatsoever...and Wilson is already done for the year. Thompson? No better option than Coleman right now, and Coleman has more upside. There’s more than enough room in the Cowboys WR room, you need to take off your Cowboys colored glasses if you think more talent isn’t needed. Even if it’s just for competition.

Could Coleman be a complete bust and not even make the roster? Of course he could, I’m not touting him as a good player or a sure thing at all. But he has shown flashes already and there’s 0 doubt the kid is very talented. He was on the Browns...unless he’s bugs bunny and can throw the ball to himself I don’t care about his catch %.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Sorry, didn’t realize you were so sensitive...you should see the way I talk to my friends about sports. If you were a friend I would have ACTUALLY insulted you.

But anyway...it’s training camp we are talking about. There’s no such thing as too many bodies, especially at a position where we are going to keep 5, maybe 6 guys, + practice squad players. And Totally disagree on TWill, he may end up making the roster but I don’t think he is a lock whatsoever...and Wilson is already done for the year. Thompson? No better option than Coleman right now, and Coleman has more upside. There’s more than enough room in the Cowboys WR room, you need to take off your Cowboys colored glasses if you think more talent isn’t needed. Even if it’s just for competition.

Could Coleman be a complete bust and not even make the roster? Of course he could, I’m not touting him as a good player or a sure thing at all. But he has shown flashes already and there’s 0 doubt the kid is very talented. He was on the Browns...unless he’s bugs bunny and can throw the ball to himself I don’t care about his catch %.

A first round pick, who missed games due to injuries, who was cut by a team that was 1-31 the past two years, for a seventh round pick with no receiver of note on the team except drug head Gordon, and you think there's upside?

Good luck with that...