Should Dowdle be the starter?

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
That position has to be addressed in the draft but with no 4-6 picks, doesn’t leave a lot of room to do much.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Been telling everyone for years Pollard wouldn’t be as effective with a bigger load. He was much better when he was being kept fresh with limited carries. Still would rather have him playing ahead of Rico who hasn’t shown any big play ability.
It's got nothing to do with that. This offensive scheme in addition to the OL and bad play calling are responsible. Emmitt Smith would have struggled under the same conditions. When the RB is getting hit in the backfield or at the LOS there isn't anything can do and more importantly, it's not their fault.

Motorola

Reaction score
Need to see rico with more carries. Also need to see how he does in more pass pro sets, more routes. Next step is getting him 10ish touches.
.....dont know about that. But Dowdle needs more reps.

This guy is always a step away from breaking a 70yd run.

eyeshield-21-%E3%82%A2%E3%82%A4%E3%82%B7%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AB%E3%83%8921.gif
Dowdle's carries each game since the season's start___
6, 7, 4, 3, 5, 3, 5, 2

LysleE

Reaction score
It doesn’t matter who is the RB if the OL cannot sustain blocks and create running lanes. Need to find a RB that can hold up in pass protection…this is where Zeke is missed most.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
No, but I think he needs more carries on early downs if they are going to try to pound the rock between the tackles.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It's got nothing to do with that. This offensive scheme in addition to the OL and bad play calling are responsible. Emmitt Smith would have struggled under the same conditions. When the RB is getting hit in the backfield or at the LOS there isn't anything can do and more importantly, it's not their fault.
The OL has been an issue but some of the blame has to be put on the backs. If they weren’t part of the problem, everyone wouldn’t have been screaming for Derrick Henry. A lot of us knew entering the season that Pollad and Dowdle wasn’t going to be as effective as what we had. Pollard has 40 more carries than he had last year after 8 games. He’s not being kept fresh and it’s showing. He doesn’t look as quick or shifty. Dowdle isn’t giving us near what Zeke provided. Our OL wasn’t a great run blocking unit last season and the play calling wasn’t good, but our run game was better than what we’ve seen this season. Zeke was way better than Dowdle who’s not even going to sniff the yards and TDs Zeke put up last season. Dowdle only has 133 yards on the ground all season and is averaging only 3.8 a carry.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Every week , Duece is a healthy scratch, TP is exactly getting it done, meaning I don't want him benched I just want someone else to get more carries.

Malik Davis is still on the team, call him up , see what he can do. I mean Dowdle, Davis, Pollard and 40 once ( Luepke) and then run the ball. Pollard get's the outside runs, Luepke

get's the tough ground and pound yards, Davis and Dowdle test the line for weaknesses (Inside and Outside) help in the passing Game. The next four games is a excellent time to

figure it out . Giants then Panthers then Washington and then Seattle. By the time Philadelphia comes a calling, we'll be ready to exact our REVENGE !!!!! If Davis can't do it, Dowdle

can't do it. Put Deuce in there and see what he can do. Draft a RB IN THE SECOND, after we draft an Offensive Tackle # 1 . Audric Estime is my personal Favorite, him or Brooks from

Texas

Just being clear

Last edited:

Ken

Reaction score
pollard needs to step it up.
No but he needs to get more touches. It is simply insane that Zeke got spelled every 3rd series by Pollard but we think that Pollard can be a workhorse back when he has never been on any level.

We need more of a committee approach. It is the problem with the run game.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
pollard needs to step it up.
There’s no stepping it up for Pollard. It isn’t his fault, he’s just not that guy. Anyone that was paying attention when Zeke was on the team saw Pollard getting all his carries behind Martin and Co when every defensive run stopper had to concentrate on Zeke first, even as his production fell off. He’s simply not big enough to run between the tackles consistently and produce like we need him to. It isn’t that he’s playing poorly, he’s just playing the wrong roll. It befuddles me that anyone is confused about this. Forget about lineman and LBs, CBs and safeties stone him in his tracks. Pollard scares exactly nobody.

I like Pollard, but not in his current capacity. Not sure about Dowdle…just haven’t seen enough of him.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Pollard is a very nice 3rd down back. That's it...that's all he ever was and is.
Yet a HUGE percentage of this board was calling for Pollard to be RB1 last year. I’m not even sure I’d call him a 3rd down back. Certainly not 3rd and 3 when younger Zeke would just punish people, especially late in the second half.

Marshawn Lynch once said something like, ‘You just have to keep running through a ***** face. Most guys just can’t take that’. Pollard isn’t ever going to run through anyone’s face and scare them.