Should Dowdle be the starter?

conner01

Reaction score
Need to see rico with more carries. Also need to see how he does in more pass pro sets, more routes. Next step is getting him 10ish touches
Need to get the oline creating holes so we can give anyone more carries, it’s not like pollard is getting a ton of carries either. If you can’t run effectively you are gonna run 25-30 times a game. A huge chunk of our carries have been running out the clock in blowouts

conner01

Reaction score
Been telling everyone for years Pollard wouldn’t be as effective with a bigger load. He was much better when he was being kept fresh with limited carries. Still would rather have him playing ahead of Rico who hasn’t shown any big play ability.
He hasn’t really had a bigger load. He’s avg 15 a game

conner01

Reaction score
Though I don't see Pollard as an every down back, a big part of the problem to me is that our OL is just not moving guys much at all. This isn't the same line that it used to be.
Not even close. Steele is really bad but Martin and Biadasz aren’t playing well either. The smiths, when healthy are far and away playing better than the other side

kskboys

Reaction score
Though I don't see Pollard as an every down back, a big part of the problem to me is that our OL is just not moving guys much at all. This isn't the same line that it used to be.
That is definitely part of the issue. We desperately needed a semi truck for the OLine in the 2nd. Just another wasted 2nd in a long line of them.

kskboys

Reaction score
There is zero reason to argue whether it's the RBs we have or the OL. It's blatantly obvious that it's both. Need a talent upgrade in both areas.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Need to get the oline creating holes so we can give anyone more carries, it’s not like pollard is getting a ton of carries either. If you can’t run effectively you are gonna run 25-30 times a game. A huge chunk of our carries have been running out the clock in blowouts
They do need to block better. Need to call more runs to the outside too. But Pollard isn't running as well as he used to either and while he should get more carries and overall snaps Rico needs a few more as well.

conner01

Reaction score
If Pollard averages that across the remaining 9 games, he total 255 rushes - a 30% increase over his 193 carries in 2022.
4 carries a game difference if he continues on that pace. But much of our runs have been late in blowouts. We have to effectively run throughout the game to take the pass game to the next level. And I don’t think the issue is the RB’s as much as the oline, and lack of any creativity in our run game. Pounding pollard between the tackles all day is just not a smart thing

kskboys

Reaction score
4 carries a game difference if he continues on that pace. But much of our runs have been late in blowouts. We have to effectively run throughout the game to take the pass game to the next level. And I don’t think the issue is the RB’s as much as the oline, and lack of any creativity in our run game. Pounding pollard between the tackles all day is just not a smart thing
Correct. Too bad he's being paid as a starter and we picked up no one to complete w/ him.

conner01

Reaction score
They do need to block better. Need to call more runs to the outside too. But Pollard isn't running as well as he used to either and while he should get more carries and overall snaps Rico needs a few more as well.
I think ideally 12-15 pollard and fairly close to the same for Rico. But to run the ball 25-30 times a game you have to run effectively or you just put yourself in 3rd and long too much.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think ideally 12-15 pollard and fairly close to the same for Rico. But to run the ball 25-30 times a game you have to run effectively or you just put yourself in 3rd and long too much.
Luckily we have Schooner to improve that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He hasn’t really had a bigger load. He’s avg 15 a game
He currently has 40 more carries than last year after 8 games. Last season he had a career high in carries. He’s not being kept as fresh and it’s showing.

Cebrin

Reaction score
That is definitely part of the issue. We desperately needed a semi truck for the OLine in the 2nd. Just another wasted 2nd in a long line of them.
Or the 1st. Mazi was a reach to me, but I hope he grows, and proves me wrong. Schoon was a giant reach.

kskboys

Reaction score
Or the 1st. Mazi was a reach to me, but I hope he grows, and proves me wrong. Schoon was a giant reach.
Mazi was a reach. Schooner was just a bad pick. Hope I'm wrong about both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cebrin

Reaction score
Mazi was a reach. Schooner was just a bad pick. Hope I'm wrong about both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Saaaaaame. I'll give Schoon a slight break since he missed camp, but I really don't like a 2nd rd pick being a 3rd stringer. There were guys on the board that could start.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
put the midget in and let him pound. Jerry Richardson would love the little shrimp. "Keep on pound, like tyke."