Should Jaylon be inactive?

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
Jaylon is a starter. I'm not sure what's wrong with some of you that you can't accept that reality.

Jaylon, LVE and Parsons start in the 3-4 fronts. Neal and Parsons start in the nickel. There are roles for all four of them.
so Tank moves inside to 5-tech DE, inside of Parsons then? Parsons and Gregory both rush or does Parsons drop?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I understand having to keep Jaylon on the team given his guaranteed money but I would think they may want to make him inactive until he may be needed to fill in for an injured player.
I didn't watch pre-season so I'm not sure he played Special teams. He clearly won't be starting so all backups likely play on Special Teams and if he doesn't what's the use in having him on the gameday roster?
You should be power-swiped by Jaylon for even thinking it.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
so Tank moves inside to 5-tech DE, inside of Parsons then? Parsons and Gregory both rush or does Parsons drop?

Based on the preseason, Urban is 5-tech, Watkins is 1-tech, Odighizuwa is 3-tech and either Lawrence or Gregory is the LEO/DPR. (We didn't see Lawrence, though, so it's hard to be sure, but I'm pretty sure we don't want him playing 5-tech.) LVE is the WLB, Jaylon the MLB and Parsons the SLB.

But remember, we're only in those fronts about 30 percent of the time. So even if Lawrence and Gregory split the LEO/DPR snaps, they could both play 80-plus percent of the snaps. (I think they'll be at 80 percent at most, with Basham and Armstrong probably picking up the remainder.)

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
Based on the preseason, Urban is 5-tech, Watkins is 1-tech, Odighizuwa is 3-tech and either Lawrence or Gregory is the LEO/DPR. (We didn't see Lawrence, though, so it's hard to be sure, but I'm pretty sure we don't want him playing 5-tech.) LVE is the WLB, Jaylon the MLB and Parsons the SLB.

But remember, we're only in those fronts about 30 percent of the time. So even if Lawrence and Gregory split the LEO/DPR snaps, they could both play 80-plus percent of the snaps. (I think they'll be at 80 percent at most, with Basham and Armstrong probably picking up the remainder.)
good analysis. so we can theoretically rush 5 out of that package with Parsons off the edge or we can drop a guy like Osa or Watkins into a zone coverage at random to get a cheap interception when the QB doesn't see it's coming. It's one of the main perks of the 3-4 as opposed to Marinelli's vanilla defense where it was obvious as day where the pass rush was coming from and how to stop it.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
EVERY WEEK! Let him ask for his release...................

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
good analysis. so we can theoretically rush 5 out of that package with Parsons off the edge or we can drop a guy like Osa or Watkins into a zone coverage at random to get a cheap interception when the QB doesn't see it's coming. It's one of the main perks of the 3-4 as opposed to Marinelli's vanilla defense where it was obvious as day where the pass rush was coming from and how to stop it.

Essentially, I think that's what we're looking at, although I think we'll see Parsons come from all kinds of spots, which is part of the advantage of the 3-4 looks. Even though you run stunts with the 4-3, the general lineup is the same DE, DT, DT, DE. With the 3-4, we can bring Parsons down into a three-point on the edge like an extra DL, have him stand up and rush off the edge or even slide him to the middle or in another gap and shift the other LBs accordingly.

The idea, of course, is we want that front to stop the run, but teams don't just run on every run down so you've got to be able to bring the heat, too, when you have the run defenders in there.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Must be joking or blind
he's got bacon grease in his eyes.

baconboy.jpg

plymkr

Reaction score
I may be in the minority here but I'm holding out hope that Quinn can use him and get some good playing time out of him. I'm not a huge fan of Jaylon and he kind of annoys me but I am not ready to write him off until I see a couple games in the new system. If he is still in 2020 form in midseason then yeah it's over, then start making him inactive. JMO. I'm pulling for Jaylon cuz if we can get anything from him that makes that contract easier to swallow then we're a better team cuz of it. So I'm a Jaylon fan if it makes us a better team.

Cmac

Reaction score
We get it…...Jaylon the Fall Guy Nominee again, before the season has started.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I understand having to keep Jaylon on the team given his guaranteed money but I would think they may want to make him inactive until he may be needed to fill in for an injured player.
I didn't watch pre-season so I'm not sure he played Special teams. He clearly won't be starting so all backups likely play on Special Teams and if he doesn't what's the use in having him on the gameday roster?

he leads the team in tackles. Just like he did in 2019.

why would they want to bench him?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Jaylon is the only Cowboy in my lifetime that if he got all time highlite reel clobbered, I would enjoy it. That's how much I have grown to dislike the person and the player.

He can't be gone fast enough.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
It’s 11 on 10 when Jaylon is on the field. I wouldn’t ever have him on the field.

It really is that simple. At least this coaching staff seems to know that & is trying to limit him as much as possible.