Should Jerry Jones and company continue with the "prove it to me" mindset?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
What a shock to all of us in not knowing what Jerry will do with the face of the franchise, the head coach, def coordinator who are all on 1 year deals. Should we continue to make coaches and players prove it to them that they should be given an extended deal to stay with this franchise. For years we've had an issue of hanging on to players for too long, for whatever reason it was. Or us giving big deals to players who maybe shouldn't have received it. How do you like our current approach, is it sustainable, is it even realistic? Is Jerry just putting on a tough guy stance, yet only to cave in and give the players/coaches what they want?

Please give your thoughts

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry loves to pursue a hardcore type of image, although, it's seemingly justified in consideration of last year's playoff disaster. Trouble is, when push comes to shove, he'll typically take the safest route humanly possible in retrospect of his past reactions to his team's difficulties. It will surely prove interesting to see what the upcoming year holds, in view of the results that it'll have to offer. I envision a "retooling" to be in the eventual agenda.

Last edited:

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I think he is simply sending a message to the other GM’s prior to this draft that before he spends about $500,000,000 on 3 players that for the right price one could be had.

Dak 60 mil times 4 = 240

CD 30 mil times 4 = 120

Mika 35 mil times 4 = 140

I think he would prefer to unload one for a haul of picks.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Jerry loves to pursue a hardcore type of image, although, it's seemingly justified in consideration of last year's playoff disaster. Trouble is, when push comes to shove, he'll typically take the safest route humanly possible in retrospect of his past reactions to his team's difficulties. It will surely prove interesting to see what the upcoming year holds, in view of the results that it'll have to offer. I envision a "retooling" to be in the eventual agenda.
Is that before or after he shells out big money, after seemingly taking a tough stance

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I think he is simply sending a message to the other GM’s prior to this draft that before he spends about $500,000,000 on 3 players that for the right price one could be had.

Dak 60 mil times 4 = 240

CD 30 mil times 4 = 120

Mika 35 mil times 4 = 140

I think he would prefer to unload one for a haul of picks.
Too funny!!! lol lol, yeah there's no way we can do this. If we're going to do this, we better make a lot of trades in the drafts to come out with about 10+ players somehow for the next 4 drafts, pay those guys pennies!!

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Should they change their mindset? Absolutely. Will they? I highly doubt it. I think @Bullflop used the right term in saying that Jerry takes the safest route. Jerry would rather pay more to maximize the probability that a player will at least play to 70% of their deal than sign a guy early for less money but a higher probability of going bust. This is goes along perfectly with Jerry's mindset of staying around the rim. It's clear that Jerry prefers to stay above 500 every year and make things interesting rather than take a risk that could lead to a championship.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Should they change their mindset? Absolutely. Will they? I highly doubt it. I think @Bullflop used the right term in saying that Jerry takes the safest route. Jerry would rather pay more to maximize the probability that a player will at least play to 70% of their deal than sign a guy early for less money but a higher probability of going bust. This is goes along perfectly with Jerry's mindset of staying around the rim. It's clear that Jerry prefers to stay above 500 every year and make things interesting rather than take a risk that could lead to a championship.
I swear they praise being above or near 500 like it's the greatest thing ever. Like damn imagine if we actually won deeper in the playoffs maybe even reached a Superbowl, that's something to be excited about. But no, "we finished above 500, that's shows a lot of progress, and we're really proud of this team and what they've done this year going forward!" lol

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I swear they praise being above or near 500 like it's the greatest thing ever. Like damn imagine if we actually won deeper in the playoffs maybe even reached a Superbowl, that's something to be excited about. But no, "we finished above 500, that's shows a lot of progress, and we're really proud of this team and what they've done this year going forward!" lol
I would much rather them actually try to better the team and fail than continue the path they are on. As a fan the status quo approach for this team is destroying my excitement. Regular seasons other than a few bigger games per year just don't hit the same. This is a good thing because it means they are clearly better than than the bottom third or even half the league but with that comes playoff expectations which this front office cares nothing about. For the better teams in the league the post season really becomes the season. When you're team is good enough to win regular season games but can't beat anyone other than teams with losing records come playoff time it should be viewed as a massive L.

Cmac

Reaction score
After a player seems to prove it, seems like Jerry moves the negotiating goal post. And our board expects paid players to account for failures from others.

morasp

Reaction score
this is just trying to be funny when it makes no sense at all, we don't own a team, and have a yacht and a jet
Think about it. For exactly the reason you said that's the only option fans have. We don't own the team we don't make the decisions. So how do the hit the one who does where it counts? Stop buying tickets, stop buying merchandise, and I've stopped watching the games live by either recording it and skipping commercials or letting it back up and skipping commercials. Back before Jimmy and Jerry took over I had stopped watching the games and casually listened to them on radio while working on rental property. Why in the world should we as fans bang our heads against the wall and get all worked up over something we have no control over.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I would much rather them actually try to better the team and fail than continue the path they are on. As a fan the status quo approach for this team is destroying my excitement. Regular seasons other than a few bigger games per year just don't hit the same. This is a good thing because it means they are clearly better than than the bottom third or even half the league but with that comes playoff expectations which this front office cares nothing about. For the better teams in the league the post season really becomes the season. When you're team is good enough to win regular season games but can't beat anyone other than teams with losing records come playoff time it should be viewed as a massive L.
Totally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Playoffs that's an entire new season right there, if we're not strong enough to compete and win during that time it is an L. These players train and work hard to win the Superbowl, finishing short and being told you're a Superbowl team is nuts. How do we fix that, this time right now and about a month ago would have really helped us for the playoffs, evaluating the roster and adding to it!! That's the smart thing to do

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Think about it. For exactly the reason you said that's the only option fans have. We don't own the team we don't make the decisions. So how do the hit the one who does where it counts? Stop buying tickets, stop buying merchandise, and I've stopped watching the games live by either recording it and skipping commercials or letting it back up and skipping commercials. Back before Jimmy and Jerry took over I had stopped watching the games and casually listened to them on radio while working on rental property. Why in the world should we as fans bang our heads against the wall and get all worked up over something we have no control over.
and I agree with your emotions on supporting this team, a lot of people say they're going to stop doing this and boycott, but as soon as we score that first touchdown, we're happy and celebrating this team as nothing bad happened. If fans really could get away from the team that they love and show Jerry our displeasure, it would be a great show of unity, and hopefully it would force his hands to listen to the fans and what they're saying. In the end the money they make etc etc, what do they really have to care about. They're winning without winning

morasp

Reaction score
and I agree with your emotions on supporting this team, a lot of people say they're going to stop doing this and boycott, but as soon as we score that first touchdown, we're happy and celebrating this team as nothing bad happened. If fans really could get away from the team that they love and show Jerry our displeasure, it would be a great show of unity, and hopefully it would force his hands to listen to the fans and what they're saying. In the end the money they make etc etc, what do they really have to care about. They're winning without winning
I still watch the games but as I mentioned not live and definitely not with any expectations.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
The things is, Jerry Jones is the face of the franchise.

Jerry has gone through Landry (part of the deal to buy the team), Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, and countless others. You think he cares about Dak Prescott?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
The things is, Jerry Jones is the face of the franchise.

Jerry has gone through Landry (part of the deal to buy the team), Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, and countless others. You think he cares about Dak Prescott?
yes he does, he's a son just like romo was, just wait and see the money he's going to give him!!!!! (sarcasm)