Should Jerry Jones and company continue with the "prove it to me" mindset?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I wish Jerry was in a prove it season as well.

Improve upon last year or step down and hire a real GM who can be accountable knowing his livelihood is based on his performance.

Hire professionals to handle contracts and the salary cap too. I’d say Stephen should be in a prove it season but he’s already proven winning is not a priority or even an interest for him.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Is that before or after he shells out big money, after seemingly taking a tough stance
After -- he'll try to grant as little as possible, but it won't come nearly as cheaply as he'd like. Next year is when I expect the "retooling" to occur. He's already had many former players depart as a cautionary warning. It seems the joke is on this franchise for so many past and present mistakes. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

NotForLong

Reaction score
I think he is simply sending a message to the other GM’s prior to this draft that before he spends about $500,000,000 on 3 players that for the right price one could be had.

Dak 60 mil times 4 = 240

CD 30 mil times 4 = 120

Mika 35 mil times 4 = 140

I think he would prefer to unload one for a haul of picks.
Imagine that Dak is equal to a Parsons and a CD . . . people are actually arguing for this

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The things is, Jerry Jones is the face of the franchise.

Jerry has gone through Landry (part of the deal to buy the team), Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, and countless others. You think he cares about Dak Prescott?
Jerry cares about Dak mainly as it pertains to Jerry's image. Once Dak doesn't project a positive image to Jerry's team, the caring diminishes.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
After -- he'll try to grant as little as possible, but it won't come nearly as cheaply as he'd like. Next year is when I expect the "retooling" to occur. He's already had many former players depart as a cautionary warning. It seems the joke is on this franchise for so many past and present mistakes. :rolleyes:
gotcha

plasticman

Reaction score
The successful GM's can sense the success before it begins. He can see things coming together and can envision those elements he still needs to acquire. He's around his coaches and players enough to see the progression of the players, both individually and as a team.

I think most personnel decisons have been made before the preseason and the games ae mostly confirmation and to evaluate the bubble players.

A good GM knows the attributes and productivity he wants from his players and he knows what he wants to do with them in the future long before he has to worry about contract issues.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think fans should take a "PROVE IT TO ME" mindset.
This ^^^^ 100%.
The successful GM's can sense the success before it begins. He can see things coming together and can envision those elements he still needs to acquire. He's around his coaches and players enough to see the progression of the players, both individually and as a team.

I think most personnel decisons have been made before the preseason and the games ae mostly confirmation and to evaluate the bubble players.

A good GM knows the attributes and productivity he wants from his players and he knows what he wants to do with them in the future long before he has to worry about contract issues.
Well said. The best GMs already have a vision for the off-season before it happens. They know what kind of team they are building, who it will take to be that, who they want in FA, who they want in the draft, and how they can best execute all of that vision.

Our GM wants to make headlines. His vision is to be talked about; to be relevant. That’s not roster building- it’s marketing.

doomsday808

Reaction score
No, these are grown men who are about to make millions. These guys would find a home on any team.

Chasing6

Reaction score
What a shock to all of us in not knowing what Jerry will do with the face of the franchise, the head coach, def coordinator who are all on 1 year deals. Should we continue to make coaches and players prove it to them that they should be given an extended deal to stay with this franchise. For years we've had an issue of hanging on to players for too long, for whatever reason it was. Or us giving big deals to players who maybe shouldn't have received it. How do you like our current approach, is it sustainable, is it even realistic? Is Jerry just putting on a tough guy stance, yet only to cave in and give the players/coaches what they want?

Please give your thoughts
I don't believe Jerry has a mindset.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
We'll see if JJ maintains this "prove it" position. He might still cave in. The historic failure against Green Bay in the play-offs has changed JJ's view of things though. He might be a slow learner, but even he is starting to get it.

Chasing6

Reaction score
We'll see if JJ maintains this "prove it" position. He might still cave in. The historic failure against Green Bay in the play-offs has changed JJ's view of things though. He might be a slow learner, but even he is starting to get it.
This prove it thing is BS.

Lose 12 players to prove what? Only thing being proven is GM Jetho does not know what he is doing.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Only thing I can come up with is Jerry is trying to use/max this years cap adding basically no one to clear out as much cap space as possible for the future. Then he is hoping to resign Dak, CD and Micah next year, back loading the contracts in attempt to create a 3 to 4 year window.

Seems like a risky plan. Will see CD buy in and play on a 1 year deal and risk injury? Will Dak, then not test free agency at the end of the year?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
there is no mindset towards the players....thats laughable at best..."Watch this JR I'm gonna say we are all in then not do a damn thing to improve the team in FA....hey have Betsy send over the suite ticket sales numbers when they come in.."

Chasing6

Reaction score
there is no mindset towards the players....thats laughable at best..."Watch this JR I'm gonna say we are all in then not do a damn thing to improve the team in FA....hey have Betsy send over the suite ticket sales numbers when they come in.."
I believe they will be active in FA once it no longer affects comp picks after the draft. We will s flurry of 1 year contracts of FA's nobody else wanted.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Given Dak's play against the better defenses - yea their apprehension in handing him a larger contract makes the most sense. In games against the 49-ers, Bills and Packers - look at the performance? You are not paying a franchise QB to beat up on bad teams.

Big_D

Reaction score
Everyone has to prove themselves ……. But not Jerry and son.
That’s the sad state of this team. Just a yearly blame game except when it comes to the actual problem. Of course the players and coaches are faced with the impossible task of somehow proving Jerry and his kid aren’t absolute crap.. again and again!

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
heck yeah, he should also see who comes to voluntary practice and who doesn't.