Should Linehan be fired?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, not if Jason Garrett stays; it's his offense. Linehan is just a puppet OC.

He actually might be okay running his own offense but we will never know as long as JG is the HC.

So, when Linehan's mouth is moving he isn't actually calling a play, but rather it's Garrett acting as a ventriloquist?

I don't think Garrett is this greedy, domineering lord of the scheme reigning over his domain the way some seem to feel (funny that Garrett is the puppet in other narratives), and it's not as if there have been no adjustments to the offense the entire time Garrett has been coach. QB runs, jet sweeps,, empty backfields and run/pass options have not always been part of the plan. I think the bigger problem is Linehan is just as mired in his old school ways as Garrett is, but I think if there were a fresh perspective Garrett would listen.

Reaction score
I would like to have somebody who has been exposed to modern day offenses and has shown an ability to get the most out of their players abilities.

Somebody who has worked with QB's and who understands how to maximize what they do best.

He can be an assistant being promoted to a coordinator or a current coordinator.

Somebody who has worked under a successful offensive minded mind: Andy Reid, Sean Payton, Sean McVey, Lincoln Riley.

Somebody who brings in his own modern schemes and throws out Garretts old, stale, fossilized system. I'm not fussed if he hasn't called plays before. We need a fresh mind, with fresh ideas and fresh systems.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
for this team to take the next step the qb play has to improve the way for that to happen is better coaching with better offensive coaching this team is still playing this weekend the oc and the qb coach have to be replaced or the next replacement will be the head coach and the entire staff

aikemirv

Reaction score
Allow me to play devil's advocate and I am not a Linehan fan, wasn't when they hired him.

Is his play calling affected and limited by what he's seen his QB do in practice and games? We've seen him miss simple passes that NFL QB's complete in their sleep. If this has affected his calling, might that continue with the next guy concerned about turnovers and confidence in his QB? And his QB's confidence?

Has Linehan been playing it safe by calling it safe because he called it a little different at DET with Stafford and Johnson? Does the fact his team had a good D, particularly scoring D, allow him to call a safer game?

With Linehan, I am like I am about Garrett. Don't just fire him, tell me who his replacement is because if you think it can't get worse, you ignore history.

Yeah, I was in the fire Linehan camp but then I think that of Linehan can produce a 67% completion percentage with a QB that truly has accuracy problems then I am not so sure he is the problem. Maybe he is doing the best with what he has. We have seen wide open receivers since Cooper came to town - at least 4-5 overthrows for Gallop TD's and another few for Cooper TD's.

We saw a divisional playoff game that was they for the taking from an offensive standpoint and he had open receivers everywhere. I am not so sure his system is bad, but I know the accuracy and anticipation of the QB is bad.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
A long time ago when it wasn't antiquated. The rules have changed a lot since then and offenses have evolved. So have defenses. It hasn't evolved, so everyone knows how to beat it. They just might not have the personnel to beat it.

Point is most offenses use some form of AC, WC, or EP based system. They are all beatable the difference is in the coaching not the system.

cowboyec

Reaction score
either one...as long as its an outside hire.
it wouldn't bother me if it's his first time as a O.C.
at some point they all were position coaches before they got the bump...someone gave them a chance.
person Id like to see here...Dan Campbell.

Reaction score
There were some dumb plays this season, but at the same time i've heard Troy give credits to linehan for many good designed plays. Also, i've seen many plays that would have been touchdowns if it wasnt for daks accuracy issue... so do we really have a problem?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I can't believe Linehan is here. I thought for sure he would be gone by now. He should have been canned last year....and he got a reprieve...for this? We can't score in the redzone.....and a lot of it is his play calling/refusing to run the football.

JBS

Reaction score
I personally don't think he should be fired. I just wouldn't bring him back in any capacity

mmohican29

Reaction score
While I don't personally feel Linehan's is a horrible OC overall, my issue is he does not play to his talent's strengths and uses personnel in very predictable way.

In addition, his early season tinkering at the WR position prohibited quick adjustment by Gallup to the NFL reality. This might have cost ballgames vs Carolina and Seattle, and maybe Houston as well.

Finally, he still fails to call plays to Prescott's dual threat ability.

I vote he goes.

Cmac

Reaction score
Yes....last week...while in flight back to Dallas.