Should Linehan be fired?

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
If you don't fire Garrett at the same time as Linehan all you will be doing is moving the deck chairs around the Titanic.

Verdict

Reaction score
I would go young and with fresh ideas...as something right now, will develop a new wrinkle that dominates current schemes. Kind of like when Buddy Ryan was with Chicago and developed the 4-6 defense. He unleashed his defensive lineman to attack. They loved it as well.

I like your approach with this issue. So why not also be on the fresh approach to move on from Sean Lee bandwagon too?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Do I think he needs to be fired? ABSOLUTELY!

Is it practical to fire him? That's a different issue. It does no good to fire someone of you aren't going to substantially improve your team by doing so. At least he knows the strengths and weaknesses of his players even if he is too idiotic to use that to the team's advantage.

While I KNOW he NEEDS to be fired, there may be practical reasons not to do so in the short run.

True. I'm not attacking or defending Linehan. But if it were your call would you look for experience as an OC and play caller or would you take a chance on a young coach who has served time under a top OC but has yet to get the opportunity as of yet?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If Dak is your long term solution at QB then you must fire Linehan and Moore and see if a new coach can help your young QB. Unless you are happy with the QB being ranked in the low 20's in throwing ability then leave no stone unturned and give him a new coach as coordinator and position coach who may improve his development. I'm not going to blame Linehan's system since it's been proven effective if you have a better pocket passer but that is not what we have now. They should interview the QB coach for the rams or his brother who is the QB coach for the eagles as 2 young guys who are not stuck in an old school style offense and let Garret guide them in their development as good coaches.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If you don't fire Garrett at the same time as Linehan all you will be doing is moving the deck chairs around the Titanic.

That's not what I am asking. I Get it you don't like Garrett . Jimmy Johnson went 1-15 with Dave Shula as his hand pick OC yet looked like a genius when he hired Norv Turner, the offense was night and day difference. My question if you choose to answer it is would you go with a vet OC or a younger coach getting his 1st chance as an OC?

nobody

Reaction score
If Dak is your long term solution at QB then you must fire Linehan and Moore and see if a new coach can help your young QB. Unless you are happy with the QB being ranked in the low 20's in throwing ability then leave no stone unturned and give him a new coach as coordinator and position coach who may improve his development. I'm not going to blame Linehan's system since it's been proven effective if you have a better pocket passer but that is not what we have now. They should interview the QB coach for the rams or his brother who is the QB coach for the eagles as 2 young guys who are not stuck in an old school style offense and let Garret guide them in their development as good coaches.

Linehan's system has been proven effective....until it gets to the playoffs... just like Garrett's system.

jday

Reaction score
Just curious of the mindset of fans on what you would like to see in terms of an OC. Would you look for a person who has been an OC and has called the plays or would you like to see someone who has worked under an OC for a while and this would be their 1st opportunity at calling plays? I'm not asking to say what would be the right thing or wrong thing just trying to get a sense of what people would like to see.

Context is important.

I think he should be replaced, which amounts to the same thing but for reasons kinder then what most offer. Linehan was brought in for Romo and for Romo he was ideal. If the Cowboys are committed to Dak being the QB of the future they should find an OC more adept at using him to his strengths.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
Here is the problem. This isn't Linehan's offense. This is Garrett's offense that Linehan is coordinating. Bringing in another OC makes no sense if he is also just going to be running Garrett's offense. And, a really qualified person will want to bring his own methods and playbook with him. Garrett won't want that. Status quo looks like the most likely outcome as long as JG is HC. "homeostasis" (to quote Penny Who Had no Last Name Until She Married Leonard.)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I would actually like to see an OC who could develop Dak. That, to me, is more important then anything else. We are good enough to win, if we have a QB who can improve just a little bit. At least, that's my opinion.

phildadon86

Reaction score
You just can't sell this fan base on Linehan anymore.

Even if it's Garretts offense still you can't trot Linehan out there again after we just spent the entire offseason criticizing Dez Bryant and how we couldn't be dynamic because of him.

We were supposed to do all these different things offensively and the offense looks as old and stale as it always does.

Back to back offseasons we are talking about how trash the offense is.

We can either keep waiting for that special day when the stars perfectly align and the most amazing roster of talent appears on the football field for us and then we can just be as bland and as basic as we want or we can do what the 4 remaining playoff teams do an embrace the chess side of football and start being more deceptive with our offense.
Linehan punched his ticket when he suggested we would be better without Dez. He left himself out in the pasture ready to be put down when he forced that move. Now he has to deal with the consequences. Him and Moore. Buh bye

Big_D

Reaction score
It's fruitless. The problem remains and the offensive playbook remains. Fire Linehan, what happens? Less WR screens? lol I don't like the guy, but he's a byproduct just like everyone else fired before him.

Reaction score
The FO needs to establish what kind of system fits Dak and then hire someone that can bring that system. Or, bring in several applicants and ask how they would use Dak to bring out the best in him. I dont think we need to make him a runner but we need to use more play action and roll outs.

its been 3 years and they have already brought two good receivers for him, functioning tight ends, and a defense that can supplement his no turnover style of play.

RS12

Reaction score
Last four teams standing were the top 4 scoring offenses. This was a bottom 5 offense. Somebody has to go.

nobody

Reaction score
So no ones ever won a SB running this system right?

A long time ago when it wasn't antiquated. The rules have changed a lot since then and offenses have evolved. So have defenses. It hasn't evolved, so everyone knows how to beat it. They just might not have the personnel to beat it.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'd like a fresh, new look on offense. I'm not a Linehan fan and have no faith in his playcalling. I always expected more from him as if he was coaching this past season like his job is on the line, only to be disappointed time and time again with a lame offense.
That being said, I'd need to have better options. Those that are realistic and available. That's the real question.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Here is the problem. This isn't Linehan's offense. This is Garrett's offense that Linehan is coordinating. Bringing in another OC makes no sense if he is also just going to be running Garrett's offense. And, a really qualified person will want to bring his own methods and playbook with him. Garrett won't want that. Status quo looks like the most likely outcome as long as JG is HC. "homeostasis" (to quote Penny Who Had no Last Name Until She Married Leonard.)

Garrett wants a balanced offense, to use the run game as well as being effective in the pass game. Dallas like others will copy plays off other teams so I don't think it is so much about a playbook if the overall goals are accomplished in terms of a balanced attack. I don't expect Garrett to hire a OC who is heavy passing offense I think he wants balance