Should our players take team friendly deals?

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
These players play in the not for long (NFL) league and need to maximize their earnings while they can. You would as well if you were them. I would love to sign a few of our own at team friendly prices but realistically it is kinda rare.

Croomraider

Reaction score
The funny thing is, we all know if said QB1 takes wayyy less money and wins a SB he would make times 5 of whatever
that cap money is that's missing....... NO VISION

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Left Tackle and QB make almost 5 times the amount compared to all other positions. This is on average in terms of positional spending.
These two positions are key to taking team friendly deals and getting better players around
you.
Crab in a bucket mentality.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The funny thing is, we all know if said QB1 takes wayyy less money and wins a SB he would make times 5 of whatever
that cap money is that's missing....... NO VISION
Will “said QB1” get to dictate who his teammates are going to be, as in, all 52 of them? If not, he should not give a discount because he knows he’s a far better NFL quarterback than Jerry Jones is an NFL General Manager.

Pevansjr

Reaction score
I don't fault the players for trying to get as much as they can. If any one of us were in their positions we would probably do the same, at least I would. That said, it is the GM's job to make sure that the contracts he hands out are worth it and to know when to walk away.

Reaction score
Is it smart for these players to take less money, when this team has an issue with spending in free agency? I mean they're saving money to do nothing, can someone please make it make sense??

You'd think as cheap as we can be in our spending, we were saving up to make a big move. The big move for us, is our current players being taken care of with new deals!

Can we get rid of the "insanity" and make some moves with this money. There's talk of creating all this cap space, but what good is it if we don't bring substantial help from the outside. Please discuss!!!
There are pros and cons for every decision, I imagine that the percentage of players who would choose to take a lesser contract is much smaller than those taking the highest bidder... Still, even after thirty years of trashing the brand, being a Cowboy is a glorious thing. :flagwave:.

plymkr

Reaction score
Define 'team friendly' from each player's perspective
I want to jump on this one. Because you’re right. What does “team friendly “ mean and what does “player friendly “ mean? Team friendly does not have to be less money. I feel a team friendly deal has a lot of incentives in it. Player friendly has a lot of guarantees. Let’s meet in the middle.

I’ve said this repeatedly over the last couple months. Until Dak, CD and Micah (or any other player) make history on the field their contracts should not make history off the field.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Is it smart for these players to take less money, when this team has an issue with spending in free agency? I mean they're saving money to do nothing, can someone please make it make sense??

You'd think as cheap as we can be in our spending, we were saving up to make a big move. The big move for us, is our current players being taken care of with new deals!

Can we get rid of the "insanity" and make some moves with this money. There's talk of creating all this cap space, but what good is it if we don't bring substantial help from the outside. Please discuss!!!
Other than Tom Brady, what other top players in the league leave money on the table?

Just look at the QBs that have signed recently, did any of them give their team a hometown discount?

Justin Herbert.................NO
Lamar Jackson...............NO
Joe Burrow.....................NO
Josh Allen.......................NO
Jalen Hurts......................NO

99.9% of players in the NFL get as much money as they can as fast as they can.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I don't subscribe to offering a team friendly deal but to offer what each player is actually worth in comparison to their peers in the same position. If the player rejects the offer then blow your nose and move on.

The brainless suggestion that the Cowboys should offer Prescott $60 million a year because "that's the market" is a complete nonsense. Teams that adhere to that policy do not win Superbowls...so don't do it!
Exactly............a player can ask for whatever they want, its up to the team to decide to pay it or not.

Now if the team pays it, dont get mad at the player, get mad at the team.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Low IQ? No. If you want to win it all, sacrifices need to be made. This is a fact. Brady knew this. Mahommes knows this. Apparently you don't, but that's OK. The irony doesn't escape me. You can rant and rave about the owners restricting pay, but when players are making upwards of $60m/year, after already hauling in more money than you could spend in a lifetime, your argument looks pretty absurd.

If "make that money" is the motto of the Dallas Cowboys, which it appears is the case, we aren't going to win anything. Have we seen players from the Patriots and Chiefs going around and saying this publicly? No, because they know what it takes to be great. Our players do not, and it starts from the top. You can cry for the players all you want, but we have an owner that does everything to keep these guys happy, at the expense of success. We pay our guys more than they're worth in the name of loyalty. If this were a Bengals or Jaguars forum, maybe your though would hold some weight. It is not, therefore it does not.
Jerry is not paying our guys more money in exchange for loyalty to keep them happy, Jerry is paying our guys money because Jerry can then turn around and make even more money himself.

He can sell merchandise with the player's name on it, he can sell tickets for fans to come see their favorite players, he can then sell those fans $100 parking tags and $25 beer at the concessions, etc...

If you ever wonder what the Cowboys will do, just ask yourself which decision will lead to more money for Jerry and his offspring. That is what is most important here and the players are just pieces to move around a chessboard in order to maximize as much revenue as possible for the BRAND.

And as far as Jerry paying guys $60 mill a year, you do realize that is a drop in the bucket for what Jerry and the Cowboys make. Last year the Cowboys made over 1 billion dollars, so please drop the narrative that Jerry is doing anything out of the goodness of his heart for the players or anybody else, Jerry is doing whatever needs to be done to keep the money train rolling, and if that means paying Dak $60-$70 million a year, then so be it, because Jerry's accountant is telling him that $1 billion is a hell of a lot more money than $60 million.

coult44

Reaction score
Would you? Of course not. Neither should the players. Careers are too short.
Only teams that compete for Championships and want to build dynasties accept team friendly deals with the team in mind. Patrick, TB, Peyton, all did this and they had players on their teams follow suit for good reasons. In Dallas,‘there’s no way in hell I would accept anything but top dollar if I were a top player. Dallas and Jerry and SJ have proven their #1 goal is entertainment and putting on a show. Why? It makes him the richest franchise in pro sports. He needs this player’s to accomplish the entertainment goals. It doesn’t leave room for selfless type players.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Short careers, non-guaranteed contracts and teams will cut your *** as soon as your play drops. Players should get as much a they can as often as they can.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Tom Brady got paid on the side through is nutrition company, he wasn’t taking less, he was taking less on the books.